The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zebra 3 in rehab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 5:46AM
Watch those exhaust tips,that's a lower leg injury waiting to happen!lol.
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 6:20AM
Ha, thats funny you say that Ralph, I already have a nice scratch/scab on my right shin because of those things...so out came the cutting wheel and I cut them off yesterday..I was planning of having the tailpipes turned up and hidden anyway.....
Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 9:04AM
Gary - looking REALLY NICE! Paint looks great!! keep pics coming! what interior os going back in?
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 5:53PM
Thanks..I'm switching everything to black. I was going to put the front bench seat back in but now I've decided to try and find some buckets from that era to put in instead... When I got the interior kit from Dearborn it didnt come with a cover for the front bench seat which was kindof odd. I called them and they said the kit doesnt come with a new cover for the front only the rear seat..??.. but they could get the same material from their supplier and I can have someone local make a cover..I thought if I'm going to have to do that, I might as well go the bucket route.. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 9:40AM
nice - kepp sending pics!! How much did the paint cost?
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 7:06PM

MY MISTAKE.....Dearborns interior kit DID come with the FRONT bench cover, its the rear seat cover that wasnt included..Its been sitting in a box for so long I forgot which one came with it....still going to try and find some front buckets though....

The paint job came to around $13,000. which is about twice what I had budgeted..Unfortunatley my father-in-law wasnt able to work on it as much as I had hoped (for free) so I had to have the other guys at the shop complete it. A good chunk of the work/time/money was spent fixing the subpar body work the previous shop started for the car's prior owner. Sounds like alot but after talking with the shop owner (whos actually my wife's cousin) and explained everything he did, I'm OK with it. I also had him tear it down more than anticipated too. and once you start digging into those things you want to do it right while its apart..so oh well, ya it costs but it looks great..if this wasnt an actual Limited Edition S&H I wouldnt have gone to the extent of rehab I did. I keep telling myself I've been waiting 30yrs for this car so I say what the hell...right? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 3:11PM
absolutely! Well well worth it! wish you could go to Carlisle in June - lots of S&H cars will be there. Next year maybe!!!!???
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 4:20PM
Gary,my same thoughts,what the hell,do it right and its done.I give you some big credit for restoring it,going to be sweet when its done....finished yet?
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 5:47PM

Ha, you funny man Ralph!! I got the battery recharged. hows that? lol...I checked out some wheel dollys at Fleet Farm today, $90. a piece, to put under the tires so I can push the Torino off to the side and get our other two daily drivers inside in case there is a storm. I'm paronoid of hail storms, my wife had her brand new car hailed on years ago, 3 days after driving it out off the showroom floor...For now mine is staying outside.

I'll have to take some baby steps when its all together, I'd love to get to the big dance in Carlisle some day. That would be quite a drive from Wisconsin. It would be a nice visit though, I could swing over to my old Army base in Maryland where I was stationed in the 80's. 

Going to go tire shopping. I have a refurbished set of 15" alum slots waiting to go on. Need to send the tilt column out and get that refurb and get that fuel tank,sending unit, etc ordered to get it running. It hasnt been started in over a year..

I've noticed a tranny leak. Looks like the front/housing area. Its been doing it since I bought it. I was told the tranny was redone years ago. Could that be from sitting so long and is that something that might seal itself again once its run down the road some?

Ralph, what width did you use again on your black stripe? I know it wasnt the 1/4"
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 3:41PM

I had my painter go 1/8" wide to keep it more subtle looking.The leak is probably the front pump seal,its cake to change once the trans is out,but you should inspect pump bushing behind it if the seal is out.If thats to worn,you'll leak even with a new seal.

GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 4:56PM
thats good to know on the tranny, I checked the fluid level after starting it for the first time and it seemed to shift fine in forward and reverse when I drove up and off the trailer..And I have the receipt on the engine rebuild the original owner did on the motor so I shouldnt have to put any money into that but will probably have the old stock 2brl carb rebuilt from sitting so long though...
I put alittle 1/8" striping on one side and 3/16" on the other...after walking back and forth looking at it I think I'm going with the 3/16" after all, it did have the 1/4 before,too wide....

Thanks
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2010 at 6:45PM
HOLY CRAP!! I cant believe its been over a year since I last added something!!! I had to slow things down a bit (spending wise) the past year and take care of some other issues which took away from my rehab time...The good news is I can get back at it now..My father-in-law (the retired bodyshop owner) drove over and spent a few days last week. Ya, part was to see the grandkids, but mainly to help me reassemble the car..Its one thing when you take a car apart yourself and mark everything real nice so you know where it goes during reassembly.. Its another when you get a project in pieces and try putting it back together...sort of like getting one of those 500 piece puzzles and not having the photo on the box cover to guide you...

So anyway, we were able to get all of the redone drip rail moldings on along with the roof and door seals. The quarter windows along with the weather stripping...(you folks are right those repro pieces for the quarter windows are junk!)...he also showed me how to mount the rocker panel trim with all those clips. I put the new tail lamps and bezels on...ran the wiring harness to the back and hooked it up.

Changed all the bulbs and everything works!!  Whooo Hoooo!

Installed the passenger door glass but not the driver's side..too scratched up. Now  that I know how to do it I'll wait till I get a nicer one to put in for that side..

I started small list of various parts and pieces that I am going to need to find...I will be listing them
under the "Wanted" section shortly....If anyone can help me with parts they may have or point me in the direction where I can get them I would truly appreciate it...

I'll get an updated pic shortly...

Gary

Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2010 at 4:16PM
Love the thread and the car. Where about in WI are you located? I may have only had my 75 for a few months now but have yet to see another one around here. I even went to the big show in the Dells and only saw one SH and one 75 wagon and that show had over 1K cars there!

Jesse
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2010 at 6:49PM
I went to the Dells show a couple years ago and there were only 2 there and they were both S&H cars, one drove up from Illinois and was in really nice shape..
I'm in Green Bay and I havent seen any other ones up here either...
I'm glad I have a renewed energy about getting this project done. Its so easy to get caught up in other projects but seeing all the old cars coming out on the weekends was killing me...that and the simple fact that I have never taken on a project like this so having the father-in-law pay a visit was a great help..

And thats what makes this site so great is all the super folks who share their knowledge and experience on so many topics to help lesson the agravation you can get sometimes...

Also added a 3/16" black pinstripe. It used to have a 1/4 but I thought that was too wide and 1/8th was too thin...Door handles and locks also put in and working..It was surprising what we were finding in all those boxes and coffee cans of nuts/bolts and parts...another bonus of having an old school body guy pay a visit... I could just hold up a part and ask where in the heck does his go? and he would say over there...

Here are a couple of resent pics....

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2010 at 12:09AM
coming together quite nicely!
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2010 at 3:08AM
Great work. I like the way you rebuilt her .
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2010 at 3:30PM
Awesome!
Well worth the time and effort. There are a lot of guys out there that just want the car rolling rather than a quality long term rewards and investment.
You have done it right
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2011 at 5:20PM
found and moved another one to the project page
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2012 at 11:42PM
Hey, did you ever finish this thing???
I forgot you wereso deep into it, it looks really NICE!!!!
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2012 at 6:54AM
Hey, thanks for digging out my thread Chris. No, my car hasnt hit the street yet, pretty much looks like the last photos unfortunately. I had a little health issue last year and had to watch my spending but I am determined to get on it soon so I can have it on the road this summer. I have still been collecting parts however, new fuel tank, sending unit, oddball interior items, all sitting in boxes. I have an upholsterer lined up to redo the bucket seats. I just need to schedule a time..I've also been sending out my trim to have reanodized if I havent found NOS. Also scored a new grill for a nice price and had the surround trim for it redon as well..

Another really cool thing that happened last fall was that I was actually able to meet "Starsky", Paul Michael Glaser in person in Chicago at a Hollywood convention there..Really nice guy, got to talk a bit and get a couple pictures. He was also promoting a book he authored. My son invited him to come to Green Bay when the car is done and take it for a drive. That was funny....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic