The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1968 torino gass gauge problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 torino gass gauge problems
    Posted: 22-January-2023 at 1:44PM
I'm having problems with my gass gauge. I drained the tank then I replaced the sending unit and the gauge. It is reading full when the sending unit is out of the tank and I am manually lifting it up. When I drop it down all the way the gauge is reading 3/4 full. I tried putting it in the tank and holding it there and it still reads 3/4. Done anyone have any ideas on this problem 
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2023 at 3:52PM
Sounds like either it’s still faulty, or you may have a wire shorting somewhere....or, possibly a faulty gauge in the cluster

Edited by hogfiddles - 23-January-2023 at 4:12PM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Spencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 2:06AM
Would a different gauge be not compatible? the new gauge is a bosh 3 post
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 4:07PM
 resistance value must closely match the sending unit!!! many aftermarket gauges are way off from the oem sender...usually reads 3/4 most of the time... 
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Spencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2023 at 2:02AM
I just looked up the ohms for the gauge it says they it should read 73 - 10 ohm for that gauge could the problem be that the new gauge is 240- 30 ohm
That makes sense but the old gauge was original and this problem still happened so I tried bypassing it 

Can you expand on that last comment what is the resistance value?
Spencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2023 at 2:09AM
Sorry im not very knowledgeable about wiring.  We are talking about the same thing. Shouldn't the old gauge work then because it has the right resistance value? Maybe I need to send it out to get rebuilt?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2023 at 8:03PM
 resistance in ohms the new gauge being a higher range it wont read correctly!
 i recently had to figure out the range for my mustang... bought a new sender and using all aftermarket gauges, the fuel gauge had different settings on the back... just had to find the ohms range of the sender... what a pain but finally searching several new listing i happened to find one that had the range listed!!!Big smile switched the gauge settings and bam it worked correctly (well bench testing anyway)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Spencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2023 at 1:44AM
Thats awesome it a great moment when things just start to work after putting time into it. Do some of these gauges have setting on them to change the ohm? How did you change the setting 
Spencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2023 at 1:58AM
It just had a switch of some kind? What kind of gauge did u get? The one I have doesn't have that option 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2023 at 8:11PM
glowshift

you can see them on this page of my mustang thread...
https://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-built-not-bought-mustang_topic16716_page25.html

Edited by californiajohnny - 25-January-2023 at 8:33PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Spencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2023 at 6:41AM
Thanks for the link
Does anyone have a wiring diagram with color for the dash I'm going to try and see if my old gauge works with the new sender 
 Post Reply Post Reply