The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Ranchero build, doing it my way.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Ranchero build, doing it my way.
    Posted: 01-November-2023 at 11:14PM
Hello 

Im gonna be putting up pictures of the way im putting my car together. Its a custom build… and i like color, and i like what i like with zero care about original parts

The Victim. 
Wow my garage was once clean… I really need to clean my garage. I am chaos. 

What the space was begging for, 2 alpine X. Extra battery. DSP. Two Focal 4 channel component amps. 1 5k watt. Fuses, battery isolation. Who needs a spare? Ill call AAA. �£ 

I like bright colors 

Bespoke, and i dont need a clock its 2023 and times for travelling through, not telling. 

556Hp supercharged with 6 speed auto 
Cold compression test came back 175-180. Gonna ship out monday so im jamming to get my other details finished up so i can focus on this one. CTS-V LSA and 6L90E 
 Im sure ill need to cut my tunnel, i was gonna keep the prefectly good runnin 351c all the way to the point of i bought many parts for it. High amp alt, A/C system, water pump, motor mounts, headers, fully rebuilt the FMX with new torque converter.. but couldnt help myself. 🤭 im gonna put that up for sale. 

Edited by 1972 Ranchero gt - 03-November-2023 at 4:28AM
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2023 at 10:52AM
Welcome. Post some pictures when you can, and let's compare modifications(I have dozens planned). I love new ideas, give us some more.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
1972 Ranchero gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2023 at 10:09AM
Headliner today, just cut it out. Im gonna sound deaden the roof. Then ill put in some laminated plywood braces instead of the metal rods typically in a headliner 
Anyone wanna buy a new headliner and the rods? I used it as a template? LOL

Ill then make an overhead console for the rearview cam, gps, and a dash cam. Wrapped in bubblegum pink. Ill mock it now, but final installs after paint of course. 

Custom A-pillars, mine were busted in several places. Fiberglassed them, custom ground them to fit, adding Tweeter pods. 

Custom door panels, used the stock gt’s and kept with the general layout adding a speaker box for two 6.5 focals in each door. One will be K2 midrange, and a K2 midbass. 
Entire doors been sound deadened with spray foam. Gotta somehow get my power window kit into that door too… 

Edited by 1972 Ranchero gt - 05-November-2023 at 11:24AM
whmitchell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whmitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2023 at 11:59AM
Wow, that is going to be a monster with that supercharged LS. Cool build!
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2023 at 1:11PM
Looking forward to watching your build.  Cool build!
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2023 at 1:28PM
Very nice, I love most of it.

I didn't catch your prior post of the rear amps and speakers, I was going to suggest one in the rear of each door. My 72 Gran Torino I had the flat door panels, and back in 1981 placed two Sony speakers at the back corners of the panels. That filled the 2dr car great, I would expect it to be similar in my Ranchero. But I hadn't figured out how it would be to mount such speakers on the GT/Sport door panels(curved plastic along the corners). I see fiberglass work coming too.

I do wish you stuck with the 351C, and I could talk you into a six speed for it, the 6R80 from a 2015+ F150 or Mustang. I'm going to install one of those in my 98 Explorer(302 based engine), and I'd like to do it with the Cleveland also. But the controller is not cheap, and the 6R trans is expensive to buy, and to rebuild.

Keep going, we like it.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2023 at 1:46PM
Im running Focal which is a top SQ audio company that makes this stuff in France, 6.5 midbass and 6.5 midrange plus tweeter in each door, Then theres the tweaters on the A-pillars. powered by two 4-channel Focal Component Amps.
 The Alpine X’s are 10” being fed clean power from an amp by taramp that has more overhead still. The DSP is a 10-channel by Audio Control. Every speaker on its own dsp channel, with its own amplified channel. Spare gel cell stereo battery, isolator, charger, fuse panels, massive alternator, zero gauge main wire, custom made and bent rca cables for everything. 
Theres close to 10G’s of stereo stuff in there no labor. Big smileLOL I love listening to music its my happy place, and cars are where i feel safest. Ill just sit in my driveway listening on bad days. We call it Sweden. 

On the engine I Figured out by the time i bump the cleveland to 500+ hp and go modern fuel injection that i get a more exspensive motor with less fuel mileage and reliability. Speaking to some motor builders yielded same answer. An improvement of 8mpg pays for itself in short order, i drive tons and will also use the car as advertisement for my company WinkBig smile plus with headers, intake, tune and pulley ill have 600+ Hp in a reliable package. 
Thankfully theres a boatload of space in that Ranchero nose for supercharger heat exchangers and reservoir tank, a/c evaporators, 4 row aluminum radiator with tranny cooler, and the probably 4 electric fans. Im gonna make this thing not “heat soak” either which is tough to do. 

Popping body off frame this week…. And gonna learn to tig weld aparently cause why not. 

Original Engine/transmissions up for grabs along with allot of new parts for it to include a high amp alternator. Im gonna gather up all the parts and make a listing 

Edited by 1972 Ranchero gt - 06-November-2023 at 1:45AM
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2023 at 12:29AM
Sounds like a great audio setup with REALLY good equipment. Be careful with the spray foam insulation, it absorbs water and holds on to it for long periods, which can and usually will cause major rust issues down the road especially in the doors which do get a reasonable amount of moisture from rain and washing the vehicle. Keep the the pics coming!  
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2023 at 1:49AM
Oh dang! Didnt know that. 
Ill seal off the spray foam, its directly attached to the door panel itself.
 I noticed my Jaguar used a similar foam from factory but also had a piece of plastic between it and the door. Ill do something similar. Thanks for pointing that out. I need to dissasmble my door and sandblast the inside of it or something, and gonna sound deaden with killzmat. 
If i wanna hear exhaust/engine ill roll a window down Tongue
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2023 at 2:30AM
For sound deadening and and insulation, you might use a liquid too. I have watched and read tons about various products and brands etc. The liquid seems to always be better after it's all done, installation looks similar for that versus self adhesive products. Pricing is all over, it's all high, but the liquid sounds more promising to cover everything.

Here's one I have saved in an Amazon list, this one the Sound Control;

Don
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2023 at 6:48AM
Lizard Skin is a great spray-on sound deadener. When I did my Ranchero, I used 80 mil sound deadener that had a 10 mil aluminum face and 70 mil butyl adhesive on floor and ceiling. I then mixed up my own spray-on deadener using a liquid acrylic silicone-something like a rubberized roof coating, an acrylic silicone sealer-basically caulking in a tub and added silica sand to help give it "body" but with enough fluidity to be sprayed on the inside of the doors and sub enclosure-tire compartment with a siphon style sprayer. Once cured, it has done a really great job at a relatively low cost and doesn't hold moisture or any type of fire hazard or give off bad smells when warm/hot. If you spray the inside of the doors, make sure you leave the water/moisture outlets located at the bottom of the doors open. I can tell you from experience, the liquid will get into small areas easier but it is a lot messier and depending on air pressure needed for application, masking areas off is a good idea. Good luck 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2023 at 8:55AM
Ill do that. 
Will be so much better inside door then trying to stick my soundeadener materials. 

Any good suggestions for underbody? 
Im poppin the body off frame right away here to blast it all and getting all new brake lines, plus setting up motor/tranny
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2023 at 9:22AM
Kill the rust completely, that's priority #1. Then seal the metal with a quality sealing product, an epoxy primer. Then it's your choice of a sound deadener, or a chassis paint etc, plus a rubber type undercoating if being pretty isn't a main goal. The priorities should go in order there, first be sure the rust and corrosion is all gone, etc.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2023 at 4:11PM
I have a sand blaster, so the rest of cars getting blasted once bodys off. 

I wonder if more sound deadener on bottom, when all of interior has 2-3 layers already will make any difference or if i just epoxy primer then rubber undercoat. 
Im not worried about aesthetics under car. 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2023 at 1:43AM
Cool build!  Keep the updates coming.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2023 at 4:15AM
Originally posted by 1972 Ranchero gt 1972 Ranchero gt wrote:

I have a sand blaster, so the rest of cars getting blasted once bodys off. 

I wonder if more sound deadener on bottom, when all of interior has 2-3 layers already will make any difference or if i just epoxy primer then rubber undercoat. 
Im not worried about aesthetics under car. 

That will be great. That's about what I had in mind for mine.

I also have learned the downside of seam sealer, try to avoid that on any external surface. Seam sealer hardens and cracks over time, that's how most rust begins over 20+ years. I plan to find a more stable material for outside seams, Ultra Black is what I'd like to use(I'm not sure paint will stick over time and regular vibrations).
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2023 at 1:48PM
Been working on more interior bits cause im intimidated to learn Tig, so i bought a millermatic 211 for $600 from a guy behind me in line at harbor freight. So im confident to get after that work next. Bodies gonna be coming off. Figure i may as well start on that tommorrow. Plan is to undo body mounts, slide in wood thats strong enough or steel, see if i can mount body directly to the support, and hang it from the rafters. I can bring it up about 3’ while using a load leveller. Then i can roll the frame on out. Ill secure it well enough to get under it and work. 

Decided to go all in on the SQ speaker placements like id always wanted to do. 3km Focal (3.5” mid) and tweeter A-pillar pods. 

Heres the custom tailight trim. Made fiberglass oversized trim, the white paper circles are infinity led lights. Ill make rest with lexan and black acrylic. They are oversized filling the whole available space where the old ones sat. Will be cutting a good bit of metal out but this will make the car so much better. 

Edited by 1972 Ranchero gt - 07-November-2023 at 4:34PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2023 at 3:34PM
Tried stabbing engine/tranny today and immediately ordered a front sump pan with oil filter relocate… 
Couldnt even tell how it was gonna go but its a big engine bay. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2023 at 5:11PM
Im getting a bit overwhelmed. 
I want to use the stock gauge bezel, ill retrofit gauges to it, i have no worries getting that to fit. 

How do i wire them and keep obdii working? 
Seems they come with own sensors.. and my harness will come with connectors for stock sensors.. 

Please hep 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2023 at 2:29PM
I believe you are going to need help from a GM forum that has people who swapped similar late engines into older 70's cars. You're talking about meshing the late PCM, system, wiring, sensors, with the older analog systems. The speed sensor was always the biggest deal, the cable driven speedometer etc. But most of the other gauges you can easily adapt to the late engine.

Id' start by finding others who have swapped that year of GM engine/trans/PCM before, into an older car.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2023 at 2:45PM
New gauges too, not gonna mess with the stock ones going all digital.  ill just mount them behind this guy (bezel) in the dash gutting the rest of the junk behind it. 

Ill pop onto some GM forum to find some more info on the way it gets wired. I have zero experience doing any of this, so just winging it. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2023 at 3:42AM
Doing the wiring, include some upgrades to certain important circuits. The headlights and some circuits have high currents going through the critical switches etc.

I plan to install a relay to feed the headlights, which will cut the current going through the main switch. That should extend the life of that switch for a long time. Late model AC control units(dash display) also began using relays to feed them, older models would fail due to the high current, and the repair is expensive and hard to find experts to do it.

These older cars don't have that many problems with high current damaging dash switches etc, but think of each one and if needed, add a relay.

Also for added relays, try to use one that is very common and popular, and cheap if possible. Ford has changed the type of relay they use over the decades, I'm partial to the two sizes they used together in the late 90's. I'm familiar with those since most of my Fords are among those model years, and I have done several upgrades with them. If you find another that are easy to use, and reliable of course, use those and spread the word.
Don
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2023 at 6:17AM
FWIW the way i'd look at it, electrically, is as if it's the donor CTS and wire the whole thing that way horn to tag lights. then i'd look into having the the original gauge cluster converted to use Caddy digikals, everything should work? what does the Caddy gauge cluster look like, no way you might want to just retro fit that into the dash?
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2023 at 7:54AM
That's a good possibility also, it might be similar in difficulty depending on how complicated the late wiring is. I'm sure it would be a mess of wires though.

I'm doing something similar with my 92 Mark VII. To upgrade my wiring I've bought 2001/2002 Mustang harnesses. The basic layout and holes through the body are similar, so I will be able to mesh the stock device wiring to the later harnesses. The dash will be the hardest part for mine, the 1992 has a lot of electrical circuits.

Fortunately the early 70's Fords didn't have a ton of things going on in the dash.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2023 at 8:32AM
I nearly went that route, getting all the cts-v stuff and retrofitting, but i didnt though i am still on lookout for a stock harness which might give me some advantages if i want to keep extra things. 

I can retrofit in regular gauges like this style to the dash i have,

or im still game to run a digital screen and pass along this one to someone else… maybe thats way easier. 

Do i just snag signal wires from the back of the OBDII port? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2023 at 4:01PM
Ehhhh…. 
I was more confused then i should have been. 
Im stuffing glowshift in my bezel, new sensors, they make a proper adapter, and idk if obd2 works after that but probably, its got seperate sensors for gauges vs computer on the engine. 

Blah blah blah. 
Ill have purple glowing gauges. Ill add an intake air temp gauge and whatever later to a different spot ill come up with. 

Im gonna redo dashpad in purple, i did a rough job on the pink and messed it up a bit while making other bits i hadnt planned on before hand. 

I also ordered a gptuning stage 2.5 cam deluxe kit… 
Makes that cool cam lope, adds lots of power from idle and has supporting goodies for valvetrain. Gotta bump up supercharger psi via the pulley now, add larger injectors and dual 450 walbro pumps LOL
So much for just droppin in 556hp, now will be 700+ hp 
nordictom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordictom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2024 at 4:53AM
cool build.  

What engine / trans was originally in the Ranchero? 

NT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2024 at 3:10PM
351 cleveland with fmx
runs great, i even rebuilt the fmx fully LOL

for sale 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1972 Ranchero gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2024 at 3:14PM
spent allot of time with my GF in new mexico, worked on a few things. changed how im doing gauges... 
taking body off frame next week, figured out how motor is going in and its gonna fit ok, but idk about the hood.... 
could anyone get me measurements to bottom of a closed hood in a few spots, based off the frame? i cant really go lower then what ive figured out to do but still would be nice if hood clears the blower and lid spaced supercharger. 
 Post Reply Post Reply