The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 gran torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 gran torino
    Posted: 13-February-2023 at 8:10AM
Hello all together,
my name is Toni an i am from Germany. i am a new bee in this community. At the moment i have got a big problem. We have a Gran Torino 1973 frame off restoration. Unfortunately the bumpers between the chassis and the body are rotten. it is almost impossible to find spare parts here in Germany. Maybe here in this community are some people which can help me. This would be really great, cause i´m gonna get mad about this items.
Probably i´m not clever enough but i can´t attach some pics. Dead
Gran Torino Fan
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2023 at 3:12PM
Welcome. When you are upgraded to full membership you will be able to post pictures.
 @Californiajohnny may have the parts you need. Not sure about shipping overseas. I am aure he will be here shortly.LOL
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2023 at 3:17PM
Welcome to the forum. 

There are members here with several parts cars, depending on the specific model years.

The bumpers are commonly referred as a "body mount kit" for a 1970 to 1972 Chevy Chevelle Convertible."
(from my experience dealing with Wampfler AG in Germany years ago, I used the term buffer on overhead material handling cranes).

To answer your question, examples below should help.

For other parts, Look up Companies such as AutoKrafters in the USA.

For rust damage on the frame, there are repair pieces made:

Shims for helping adjust the radiator support for front clip panel alignment: 

Stock type Radiator Support Bushing kit:

Frame repair inserts for Radiator support bushing (metal repair piece for frame) 

If you need help with parts or descriptions, please post up and the group will do what we can to help.

Welcome to the forum!
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2023 at 11:37PM
 welcome! i dont have any good body mounts but like andy stated chevelle mounts work well im told
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 1:03AM
Welcome Toni!  On this site you have to be approved by an Admin and upgraded to have full privileges.  I have done this upgrade so you can now upload and post photos. You also have full forum access.  Be sure to post any questions you have or feel free to start a project thread.

As an alternative to Chevelle mounts, some have used Crown Victoria mounts. We have a post on body mounts that may be helpful to you:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 9:38AM
My bad. I thought he was referring to the 5mph bumper mounts.
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2023 at 10:03AM
I used the Chevelle mounts on mine…they work perfectly however there are a couple of things to note…

In a set there are 6 which work without modification….there are enough of the others which can be modified but I found it easier to buy two sets…

If you are outside the US Crown Vic mounts can get pretty spendy as other than walking in to a Ford dealer every retailer seems to want crazy money for them ….by the time you buy 10 uppers and 10 lowers it gets up there in price…the Chevelle (71/72 convertible) look almost identical are within 3mm in height and cost half the Crown Vic ones….Chevelle ones are all over eBay or easily obtained from Inline Tube….

Either is a viable option…it really depends on how “correct” you want your car to be and what that’s worth to you
Oggyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2023 at 9:56AM
Dear Compton, as i read your post i got new hope.
i´m looking for months to get this damned bushings.
Money is not the first focus. We just need the parts.
Could you please give me a link or the detailed name of the bushings you have taken?
This would be really great.

best regards
Toni
Gran Torino Fan
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2023 at 1:19PM
Single mounts are Inline Tube https://www.inlinetube.com/products/inl12642

68-72 Chevelle convertible kit (Inline Tube)
https://www.inlinetube.com/products/inl12963

Need two kits (or one kit and 4 singles) to get enough of the correct mounts (6 in the kit above)

Kits can be easily found on eBay also if that’s easier

Oggyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2023 at 8:16PM
Hello Compton,
you can not imagine what favour you did to me. I really thank you very much.
Now i have a base to order the parts and the Torino will be taken back on the road.

Have a great day.

Best regards
Toni
Gran Torino Fan
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2023 at 1:38AM
Hey Toni,

You are in the right place. There's a lot of information here. We have several people who can assist with used, hard to find parts.  Shipping is often more expensive than the parts. Welcome and enjoy. 
Steve M.
Oggyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2023 at 7:55AM
Hello Compton.
thank you for the support until now. Unfortunately i need to ask for another favour.
When our workers separated the body and the frame, they did neither took any pictures nor made a plan of the right position from the bushings. some were as rotten that they felt apart by working.
Maybe you or somebody else here in the community has a plan for the right position of the bushings.
I thank you for your advice.

Best regards 
Toni
Gran Torino Fan
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2023 at 9:20AM
 bushings are all the same in size and height throughout the car 2 on the core support are shimmed a little taller as needed to square up the front clip... (about 1/4")
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2023 at 12:12PM
Johnny is correct on the heights…the only one you can’t replace is the oval/rectangular on that sits on top of the frame in the middle near the doors (no bolt) so don’t lose them…

I also replaced the bolts with 71/72 Chevelle body bolts…they’re near on identical and work fine…new has got to be better than 50yo half rusted ones! Got from eBay
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2023 at 12:15PM
There’s a whole thread about this but this should help

You need 10 round ones plus the two rectangular
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2023 at 2:52PM
 the rectangular ones usually seem to be ok...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Oggyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2023 at 6:07AM
Sorry for the late reply. 
I really thank you for this pic and the information.
Gran Torino Fan
Oggyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2023 at 6:13AM
Dear Compton, great stuff,
but do you have the link to this thread? for a better resolution.

Thank you and best regards 
Gran Torino Fan
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2023 at 7:11PM
If you look under 72-76 Ford and Mercury it’s the second topic down…
Oggyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2023 at 7:10AM
thank you very much.
probably i am to stupid because i can not find. 
But i will keep on trying.

best regards
Gran Torino Fan
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2023 at 9:56AM
Originally posted by Oggyman Oggyman wrote:

thank you very much.
probably i am to stupid because i can not find. 
But i will keep on trying.

best regards

Click here:

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Oggyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2023 at 7:40PM
Dear 72Ford GTS,
thank you very much for your support.
I really think this is the right place for my issue.
Really good job. If we finished our project, i will post some pics.
Smile

Best regards
Gran Torino Fan
Oggyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oggyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2023 at 7:41PM
Hello folks,
tanhks to your support it is finally done. The Body and the frame are succesfully married.I thank you all very much. Have a great time. 
Gran Torino Fan
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2023 at 1:19AM
She is a beauty!
Steve M.
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2023 at 1:56AM
Great job!  It looks great!
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2023 at 1:25AM
Nice work, it looks great!
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply