The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1975 351 casting block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 351 casting block
    Posted: 25-May-2008 at 5:44AM
Hi guys
I'm from italy and I'm the prowd owner of a 75 Torino bought in El Paso 1 month ago
the vin is  5A30HXXXXX the 351 casting block read 77AY-6015-AA
I know casting number shoud start wit a letter C, D
Can you help me to undestand wich engine is?
Thanks and sorry my poor english!
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 10:41AM
The H code in the vin says it is a 351 windsor engine originally for your car.Can you post some more numbers,there should be a date code on the block also and part numbers off of the intake and the heads,this would help.Or post a pic of engine and I could tell you what motor you have,whats in it.
starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 11:27AM
 Thanks for your help I will try to post some more parts code
Here are the pic's of the casting block number and the engine bay
I heard that it could be a 75 Mexican block but i didn't find any souce on the web with this decoding starting with 77 ....Any idea?

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 4:26PM

It is a 351 windsor.From what I can tell from the numbers it is a service replacement block by the letter Y in the top row of numbers.If it was the original it would have had an E letter.The 77 is a bit strange,I would guess it is the year of the block.You did say the car was from texas,so it may be a mexican block number.The date code is under the engine code,but the first digit looks strange,looks like a number 7 but not sure.Look on the intake,it should have a date code that looks like that one and post a pic of it along with a part number,that will give me some more to go on.It seems to me that the original motor had a problem and a ford or merc dealer put a replacement motor in at one time.

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 4:34PM
The Y letter indicates its a lincoln mercury service part,but replacement motors would have been put in torinos and cougars all the same back then.All the 351w were pretty much the same back then and the dealers really didn't care what numbers were on a block as long as it was the right replacement motor.This kinda stuff has been going on forever with ford and other makes as far as service parts are concerned.
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 6:57AM
IIRC, H code only means 351 2bbl, that could also have been a 351M..  (and in 1974, the 351C 2V).  The pics clearly show a Windsor motor, and I would have to agree with Ralph on the block history. 

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 5:20PM
Did'n know that about the H code.Learn something new everyday,thanks Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply