The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351 2V

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmizz181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 2V
    Posted: 02-December-2011 at 6:35AM
Hey all,
Just want to start by saying I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and it continues for the rest of the holidays.
Question...... for the time being I am going to leave the 351C 2V (which has an aluminum intake and holley 4 barrel) in the the car from when I purchased it. I also have a parts car with a completely stock 351C 2V (carb and intake), I was wondering what kind of performance parts and or stock parts would work best for the next year or so while building the engine that will stay in the car. Mainly bolt on parts, was thinking about the trick flow 190 heads, maybe a cam, better intake and such. Things to be done without removing the engine and doing bottom end work but still be a good reliable performer.
Any thoughts would be great since it has been many years since I've done this kind of work.
Thanks in advance and Happy Holiday Season!!
tmizz181 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmizz181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2011 at 6:37AM
Oh, the Cleveland in the car now has approximately 85K miles on it.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2011 at 8:52AM
with 85K on the engine you sorta need to watch what you do to the top end of the motor as sometimes adding the perfomance parts ends up put more starin on an old motor. I did the top end of my 74 351C 2V but it had only 50k on it and was really tight and it was out of my uncles ranchero so I knew the history of the engine as he bought it new in 74.
I did a Edelbrock intake,600cfm Carter AFB carb,Erson 290 duration cam,headman headers,when building it I ended up getting springs,lifters,retainers,keepers and all but left the stock rocker arms which was a huge mistake as they are non adjustable and my buddy who helped me with the engine was a Pontiac guy so it was in the late 80's when I didn't know nothing about Ford engines and that I should have had the heads machined and the rocker studs installed with roller rockers to be able to adjust for the big cam.

I bent pushrods,collapsed lifters and ground some lifters off on an angle which tells me the cam lobes were also ground down but funny thing is I put in a new set of pushrods and lifters and the car ran that way till the trans let go and I later pulled the engine and junked the Torino it was in as I was moving and had to place to store a complete car.

if your planning on building another engine you might just wait and save your money as you said it already has a Holley 4bbl and aluminum intake.Maybe some headers and dual exhaust if your building another cleveland as you can still use them on the next engine if you plan on another motor besides cleveland then you might want to just keep it basically as is.
like I said Cleveland has a none adjustable rocker set up so putting any cam beside factory can put a strain on your lifters and pushrods as the added lift of the aftemarket cam will not be adjusted correctly unless your order special lentgh custom pushrods for the cam lift.

many things to think about before just buying a bunch of parts and bolting them on
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2011 at 11:43AM
A good set of headers/extractors would be the go as a minimum. That 600CFM Carb and inlet should be good as it is. 
I found these on Summit's site and are getting them for my build, just hope they will serve me for my needs = no machining work just bolt on. Worth considering for ease of install and friction relief (HP gains). Note : life time warranty too  -   http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCC-SCP1024BL/ Just take note of your stud size and you may need to get your push rods altered for lenght.      
1973 Q code sports roof
 Post Reply Post Reply