The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 ENGINE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 ENGINE
    Posted: 04-July-2021 at 9:01AM
OK CASTING NO. IS D7TEA28 HOW DO YOU DECODE YR,DATE DIRECTIONS STATE FIRST NO YR SECOND LETTER MO 3+4 NO DAY MO. CAN SOMEONE DECODE THESE NO LETTERS ARE FROM CASTING ON RIGHT REAR OF BLOCK
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2021 at 11:03AM
D7TE-A2? is the cast code for the block, the cast date code should be nearby / under that

D is code for the decade 1970

7 is the year of that decade but not necessarily the year that the block was cast,
that's why you need the cast date code

FYI coincidentally the 351M engine uses the same castings as the 400 so final ID of the engine will depend upon the crankshaft and pistons present in the engine

72 GT Ute

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2021 at 11:59AM
I'll look again. Thanks,I found that the crank casting is only real way to know 351 or 400. Someone said d7te was Michigan. block and had weak water jacket. before 80's who knows thanks again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2021 at 12:14PM
yes there was a casting defect situation, you'll need the casting plant ID and the cast date to determine if your block is affected.

the date they give for the cut-off is not completely accurate

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-July-2021 at 12:44PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2021 at 12:44PM
a couple links

this link got tied up with the other the 1st time, should be fixed now

Edited by Rockatansky - 05-July-2021 at 5:16AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 5:22AM
and another closer to home link to the same page

72 GT Ute

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 7:04AM
  Date and foundry info on my engine. Michigan Casting Center, October 21, 1977.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 8:33AM
i think that's where all the cast date codes are ... ?

hopefully that's far enough after the 'March xx, 1977' date to be a good block.

in the 1st link i posted above Tim Meyer says there's overlap of good & bad blocks around that date

these might be the pics missing from that thread

Edited by Rockatansky - 05-July-2021 at 9:40AM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 9:37AM
Not all 400 blocks were cast at the Michigan Casting Center.  Some were at the Dearborn Iron Foundry (only early blocks) and the Cleveland foundry.  It was my understanding only the MCC blocks had the cracking issues.  Mine is a DIF cast block.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 9:42AM
Yes the various foundries are covered in the Bubba info,

i'm curious if the cracking issue goes all the way back to MCC's first block or when it actually began?
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 9:44AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i'm curious if the cracking issue goes all the way back to MCC's first block or when it actually began?

Yeah, that has never really been clear and I'd like to know as well.  It also seems the blocks didn't start to get cast at the MCC until 1973.  The 1971-72 blocks were DIF and CF.  `1973-79 were MCC and CF.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 10:32AM

It is most likely why my car is not carrying the original engine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 10:48AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Yeah, that has never really been clear and I'd like to know as well.  It also seems the blocks didn't start to get cast at the MCC until 1973.  The 1971-72 blocks were DIF and CF.  `1973-79 were MCC and CF.

I didn't realize that. Good to know.  The book I have, mentioned the 400 mid 77 and earlier as having issues with cracking. Gonna have to dig a vit deeper.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 2:11AM
found it 7j9
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 2:13AM
question how come when I post something it keeps saying did not send yet it did ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 2:27AM
   Your block was cast on September 9, 1977. 

Posting pics is kind of tricky to figure out at first.  I press the back icon after the keyboard appears. This erases a block with an X and turns on upper case. Then go to picture icon. Choose gallery, upload, when upload is complete your pucture appears in the box. Hit OK. Then it shows up in the original reply box. You can then type in your question etc.  Then post teply, done.   No garrantee the picture is right side up. Screen rotation must be turned off as this seems to be my problem on a droid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 2:30AM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

question how come when I post something it keeps saying did not send yet it did ?

I assume you were trying to post pictures?
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 11:01AM
No just posts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 11:24AM
   Just some of them?
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 11:46AM
yes
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 1:13PM
Every so often It does that to me too.
I just assume it posted and check it later.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply