The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70 Torino Fuel Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbonthebeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Torino Fuel Tank
    Posted: 06-June-2021 at 1:02PM
Greetings all from Cape Canaveral! New kid on the forum. I just inherited a ‘70 Torino Wagon. While it is remarkably rust free, the same cannot be said about the fuel tank after sitting in a garage for 30+ years. It can probably be saved with some metal patches, but not sure as there is too much crud inside. The net is I need a new or good used tank. Any ideas? The internet doesn’t seem to be a lot of help. I have built a lot of cars over the years, but never had trouble finding a gas tank. 
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2021 at 2:02PM
Welcome! You've got yourself a unique vehicle there. I don't see any reproductions myself for the D0OZ-9002-F or G Torino wagon gas tanks.

You're best bet is to find a good used one from someone like Troy Leming. If you haven't seen his sticky (first one in this section), he specializes in the 70/71 years. Give him a call.

Another I've seen online is Buntmans. Seems to have a lot of NOS and doesn't list everything online.

Good luck in your search! Perhaps some of the wagon owners here have some good news!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 1:10AM
Like Dan said, they're not available new or reproduction.  

One option might be to take some measurements of your existing tank, then try to locate a new tank with the same approximate dimensions.

Good luck!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Jbonthebeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbonthebeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 1:47AM
Thank you, both. Yeah, I did find one up north, but owner said he would not sell. Anyway, I found a local fabrication shop that is building be a new one for $400-500. I did find a new sending unit online for $90. Expensive, but no other real choices. I am getting close to starting the car. Eventually, I will sell as I don't really have room for three cars. I just need to come up with a price but, since the body is incredibly solid, looking at 9-10K.
 Post Reply Post Reply