The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

71 Ranchero Manual Drag Link?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanbrown123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Ranchero Manual Drag Link?
    Posted: 04-July-2022 at 2:34PM
I'm currently looking to change my 71 Ranchero over to manual steering. I want to dump the old leaky power steering system for something that is less sketchy feeling.  
I've been able to find manual drag links for earlier Rancheros and similar fords, but none for 71. There are those eliminator kits out there but I find those to be way too expensive for what they are... I'm not even sure if the 71 models even came with manual steering or not. 
Does anyone know which drag links are compatible with a 71 or where I could find a remanufactured one? 
71 Ranchero, 351w.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2022 at 5:26AM
It looks like it is specific to 1970-71 Torinos with manual steering.  The original part number is D0OZ 3304-A.  It shows that it is 29" between the stud and hole at the end.  I also checked Mustang and older Torino/Fairlanes, and none use that same center link.  

I'd try searching by the Ford part number to see what you can find.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2022 at 10:49AM
72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2022 at 5:29PM
If you haven't driven a manual steering Torino, they tend to steer like a dump trunk when parking.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2022 at 2:05AM
My 72 Gran Torino came with manual steering, my parents spent a lot of time debating what they could afford when they ordered the car. Basically the car only had the interior option that got bucket seats, and the 351C-2V upgrade, nothing else that I recall.

I converted my 72 to power steering a year after I was driving it and my dad let me do it. We installed a 71-73 Mustang steering box and factory power steering lines, an easy task. It was hell to park that big car with the manual steering. With the power assist, then it was about the corners of the car being hard to judge when parking(plus me being a young driver).
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Jordanbrown123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanbrown123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2022 at 2:40PM
Thanks for the info guys
71 Ranchero, 351w.
 Post Reply Post Reply