The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

71 Torino 500 gas tank issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordluvr4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Torino 500 gas tank issue
    Posted: 06-September-2022 at 1:27PM
Hello all!  

My fiance recently acquired  a supposed 1971 Torino 500.  I have been looking for a gas tank for it, as it's full of rust.  The F54E is not what the tank looks like that I removed.  It looks more like the F43E.  The VIN number in this car comes up as a 1971 Torino 500, but the rear quarters have emblems saying Fairlane 500.  So, am I correct in assuming  this car is a mixture of the two?  And obviously the Fairlane was older?  Thanks, in advance, for any help or response!  
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2022 at 1:25PM
The Fairlane name was dropped after 1970.  The base models Torinos is 1970 were called Fairlane 500s.  They were the same as a Torino, just less features.  Think Ford Custom vs Galaxie.  So it's possible your car has some 1970 parts on it, but not a big deal since they are pretty much identical.

As for the fuel tank, a 1971 should use a F54A tank like you said.  A 1970 or tank should fit but there are differences due to changes in the emissions controls.  I am not sure if the 1968-69 tank will fit, but I wouldn't be surprised since it's the same basic platform.

1970 Tank:

1971 Tank:

We also have this great thread on restoring a fuel tank:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Fordluvr4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fordluvr4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2022 at 1:33PM
Thank you so much for the quick response!!  The 70 tank looks identical to what I pulled out.  I would restore the old tank, but it is so rusty and dented.   I'd rather just try to find a new one.  A radiator shop here in my town said they would do it, but it would cost at least $400, and he couldn't guarantee it wouldn't leak down the road.  Again, thank you so much for the quick response!
 Post Reply Post Reply