The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 72 Gran Torino Ignition Cylinder/Wiring issues.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 Gran Torino Ignition Cylinder/Wiring issues.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Gran Torino Ignition Cylinder/Wiring issues.
    Posted: 23-March-2024 at 2:34PM
Hey everyone! John here, proud owner of a 72 Gran Torino Sport - Project car! Little background, fixed up some farm equipment and picked up the car as payment. A couple of kids had tried to Hotwire it once upon a time and jammed a screw driver into the key slot. 

FF to now, she’s sitting in my garage instead of the field, and I have replaced the ignition cylinder. Lock position, everything is off, I turn to stage one, I get the ignition buzz letting me know the key is in the ignition and the door is open, stage two shows the ALT light on the dash, and when I turn the key all the way, nothing happens. There is a large clip of multi-colored wires hanging from under the dash, and a single red and brown wire that have been removed and are free hanging down below. I have a simple wire harness but can not seem to identify which wires are here.

I have no headlight response from the puller, but dash lights, interior lights, and radio all power on. Any insight on where I should begin troubleshooting would be amazing! Thank you all, and happy to be here. 

Update to the testing. With the key in the start position, I get 0 voltage to the starter solenoid. I assume one of those wires that’s been disconnect has something to do with that. 

Edited by Coloradoino - 23-March-2024 at 3:05PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2024 at 12:11AM
Welcome!  Have you checked the ignition switch mounted on the column to see if all the wiring is properly connected?  It might be worthwhile to make sure the switch is not corroded or shorted out.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Coloradoino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2024 at 9:22AM

So this is what I have below my steering column. The red wire was run to an afterthought oil pressure gauge. The clip does to a bundle under the dash. And the brown exposed wire come from that harness
 Post Reply Post Reply