The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 GTS fuel tank question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessee-Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 GTS fuel tank question
    Posted: 15-September-2022 at 11:45PM
Hello fellow Torino enthusiasts. Need some advice please.
Finally getting my 72 Gran Torino Sport back on the road after sitting idle for about 8 years.
So far, I have installed a new fuel filter, new mechanical fuel pump, removed the fuel tank and took it to a radiator shop and had it boiled out to get it cleaned up and installed a new fuel sending unit.

I know the fuel pump is working as I disconnected the fuel hose between the fuel pump and the steel line that goes back to the fuel tank and feed the fuel hose into a 1-gallon gas can and the fuel pump pulled fuel up to the fuel filter and car cranked up fine.

With the fuel hose connected back to the steal line going to the fuel tank, I put 2 gallons of ethanol free regular gas in the tank, but the fuel pump doesn't pull fuel from the tank.

I guessing I simply don't have enough fuel in the tank yet to reach the fuel line/sock at the bottom of the sending unit.

Can anyone tell me how many gallons of fuel has to be in the tank to reach the fuel line/sock at the bottom of the sending unit?
1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport Fastback
351C 4V
3-speed FMX AT
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2022 at 2:20AM
I would think you have enough fuel in the tank. Did you match the parts? If the pickup is not near the bottom, it will never completely empty the tank.
Tennessee-Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessee-Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2022 at 2:27AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I matched the sending unit to what was in it before when it was running.
351C 4V
3-speed FMX AT
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2022 at 6:17AM
Or you lost the prime when you unhooked the line
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessee-Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2022 at 6:28AM
Thanks hogfiddles. Are you referring to losing the prime in the mechanical fuel pump? Does the steal line that runs back to the fuel sending unit have to be primed or if I prime the fuel pump, will it start pulling fuel from the tank?
351C 4V
3-speed FMX AT
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2022 at 6:30AM
I would expect it to pull fuel, but if there’s too much air getting in the line, it may not suck the fuel
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2022 at 11:43AM
Did you make sure the pick-up was oriented in the correct direction when the sender was installed?  If lt's installed in the wrong orientation it will need a significant amount of fuel before it can suck any.  Have you disconnect the feedline at the sending unit at the tank?  If it has enough fuel in there, it should naturally run out.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessee-Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2022 at 11:47AM
i will confirm that. Thanks.
351C 4V
3-speed FMX AT
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2022 at 4:25PM
Is there a clog in the line? Can you blow air in one end and have it come out the other end?
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessee-Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2022 at 4:35AM
Thanks Vince. Sending unit is in the correct orientation. I loosened the clamp at the sending unit a fuel started leaking out, so I have fuel.

It will crank up and run for about 15-20 seconds and then die.
351C 4V
3-speed FMX AT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessee-Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2022 at 4:38AM
Thanks Inkara1, yes, I blew are into the steal line at the fuel pump and could hear air coming out in the tank.
351C 4V
3-speed FMX AT
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2022 at 6:27AM
Are you sure you have the correct line to the carburetor?
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2022 at 6:52AM
One quick question, when you had the line in the 1 gallon can you said it cranked up fine, how long did you run it, longer than the 15-20 seconds that it dies at in the normal hook-up?  I'm thinking carb/choke might be involved?
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2022 at 8:45PM
Something else to maybe try: see if it'll get fuel if the gas cap is removed. That's to verify that the line between the tank and the charcoal canister isn't clogged or blocked off. If it is, and you have a non-vented cap, that could create a vacuum, making it so the pump can't suck out fuel because air can't get in to replace the fuel drawn out.
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessee-Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2022 at 12:36AM
Thanks Inkara1. My gas cap is a loose fit so not sealed and causing a vacuum in the tank.
351C 4V
3-speed FMX AT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessee-Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2022 at 12:38AM
Thanks Dave. I will confirm this and let you know.
351C 4V
3-speed FMX AT
 Post Reply Post Reply