The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 Gran Torino Control arm bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Gran Torino Control arm bushings
    Posted: 01-March-2023 at 11:19AM
Hello, I'm writing you from Paris, France.

I'm the owner of a 73 fastback Gran Torino (351 Cleveland)

My front control arm bushing are in need to be replaced, they're totally dried !
I've heard that you can change the whole part pre assembled (Front control arm with the bushing on it). Do you know if it's true and where can I get them please ?

Thanks in advance

Jessie.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2023 at 11:43AM
I have never seen pre-assmenbled control arms for a '72-76 Torino.  If you are unable to press out the old bushings, remove the control arms and bring them to an automotive garage.  Any mechanic with a basic hydraulic press should be able to press the old ones out and press in the new ones in.  Alternatively, if you want to switch to polyurethane bushings, you can remove the old rubber portion of the bushing, but leave the metal shells in place. You can do this with heat or by drilling them out.  Then the new poly bushings can be installed without a press.

In either situation you will need to remove the upper control arm and will require a alignment after installation.  I would suggest marking the frame before unbolting the upper control arm cross shafts, so when you reinstall them should be pretty close to the same alignment prior to removal. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2023 at 11:45AM
Thanks Vince ! @72FordGTS

Jessie
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2023 at 12:36PM
The Hotchkis Galaxie control arms come preassembled with bushings, cross shafts and ball joints…will bolt in…
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2023 at 5:47AM
be aware 1973 is a 'crossover year' for many parts, the 1973 model year saw engineering changes in the front spindles, rotors and bearings, and the upper control arm bushings and shafts IIRC. depending upon the build date and which plant your car was assembled at your car can have a mix of 1972 conforming parts and 1974 conforming parts. and to confuse matters they didn't change all the parts at the same time, that's why i say it can be a mix. then there's the possibility that some mechanic has replaced service wear items with whatever they could get
72 GT Ute

jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2023 at 1:16PM
Thanks @Rockatansky, so what do you suggest ? 

Jessie.
jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2023 at 1:18PM
Thanks @compton, I'll check those hotchkis pre assembled out then.

Jessie
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2023 at 2:25PM
All the differences in the suspension bushings and shafts are laid out in this thread:

The upper bushings change in March 1972, while a lot of the other stuff was in late 1973. You can measure your bushings before ordering to make sure you have the correct size. I didn't know that the Hotchkis arms came assembled, but be aware the are an expensive aftermarket high performance part. So they are better than stock but far more expensive.  Unless you are building a high performance machine, I'd just order stock bushings and have a auto shop press them in for you.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2023 at 12:43PM
Awesome ! Thanks @72FordGTS
 Post Reply Post Reply