The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73 Rear Wheelhouses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Rear Wheelhouses
    Posted: 27-August-2012 at 2:47PM
Hi all.
Question:
I know that Tabco makes replacement quarters, and I know that outer wheel houses for 72-73's are impossible to find, so my question is:

Does anyone know of an outer wheelhouse close enough in size/shape that could be used for patch panels?

Like most, my wheel house lips are in need of replacement from about 10 oclock to about 2 oclock on both sides.

I found a guy that  does custom outer wheelhouse patch panels for the 70-71, but they are different in shape, and the guy wants about $800 a set.....

I would rather find a wheel house close in size/shape that I could cut and fab in, rather than having to piece weld in patches to get the radius/lip...

Not in a big rush, just gathering info and parts so when I am ready to start I have what I need....

Outside of measuring cars in parking lots Im hoping that someone here has already done some homework and found a suitable, avaliable substitution...

Thanks in advance.

Len
73 GTS 351 4V Q Code
Blue Glow/Blue Int
1 of 1
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2012 at 2:57PM
I've always wondered... if you could get a Torino wheel house with enough left to get the general shape, and could browse through one of the parts houses that stock parts for many makes and models, if you couldn't find something that would be close enough to work on a Torino with minimal modification. It wouldn't matter what brand or model it was for as long as it would work. Does anyone on the forum have a buddy or connection that works in a repro place that could help us out? Obviously, most counter guys are gonna say "it won't fit" without even looking.
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 2:20AM
I have the famed "Last Breeding Pair" of outer wheel housings and would be willing to make some templates of the wheel lip contour and some  measurements if anyone wants them.  I can also take some pictures and post them for reference too. 

Previous owner said he was in contact with Tabco and it didn't pan out.  I'm not sure if its worth asking them again if they are interested in making templates from these.  I would guess you really don't need the whole housing, just the last 4-6 inches and the correct profile for the wheel lip.  That said, Tabco knows their own wheel lip contour, and could probably create a patch without too much problem. 
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
sabatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 6:10AM
Hi all.
I called Tabco today and talked to "Dan".

I explained the situation in that they would likely sell more of their quarters if we had something to weld them to.

Dan indicated that they sell quite a few different outer wheel houses, and he would see if he could have someone take a 72-73 quarter and try to match up a suitable outer house from another type/brand car that could be used as a patch panel for our outer houses.

I mentioned that Robot had a prestine set of outers that could be duplicated, but they have no interest in making new tooling for these....

Dan said he would get back to me once someone checks this out either way.

Hopefully they will come up with an outer house we can all use for a patch panel...

Will let you know as soon as I hear back from Dan/Tabco...Len
73 GTS 351 4V Q Code
Blue Glow/Blue Int
1 of 1
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 6:24AM
Thumbs Up
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 9:18AM
Another option that just came to me... if a guy that was handy with an English wheel had the original wheel houses to go by he could make patches pretty easy. For the most part I would think it's only the last couple of inches of the wheel house that rusts away completely...the rest should stay fairly solid.
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 11:56AM
If we were to want these reproduced the best way to go about it would be probably to find a guy who can do metal work and have them produced in small batches at first.  Only problem with this is that someone is going to have to be willing to take the plunge and put money up front to have them made.  In my opinion if someone does do this they stand to make a good amount of money as well all know the wonderful ford rot spots.  I know i wold be buying 2 if not 3 sets.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
Spoiler II View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoiler II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 12:38PM
Guys..remember, I tried Tabco and asked few others -they just had no interest in making them. They wanted me to send them the NOS pieces I sold to Robot 9000 to "make some copy's".. all on my time with no reimbursement.

Has anybody thought about trying some other brand (gasp) to see if they measure up? Say something from the same vintage but from Dodge or Chevy's med size cars?  Metal pounders out there probbly use that stuff as a base if it measures up on stuff that can't be available.

Chris
sabatona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabatona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 1:58PM
Well...as I mentioned Tabco has no interest in making repos of these wheel houses. Im just hoping that they will take a few minutes to look through their stock of wheelhouses for other cars and come up with a reasonable substitute that can be worked with to patch existing outer houses.
This would be much easier than trying to fab from scratch out of multiple pieces, and would be a better repair.
They will likely do nothing and we will be no worse off than we are now, but hopefully they will surprise and come up with an alternate.
If this does not work, I will be measuring rear wheel openings at every car show I go to until I find a close sub on my own...
73 GTS 351 4V Q Code
Blue Glow/Blue Int
1 of 1
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchero Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2012 at 2:38PM

I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you guys. Just thinking  if later model intermediate Ford/Merc. Elite, Cougar, 77-79 Thunderbird would be workable?

Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
newmexguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2012 at 3:55PM
Mega U Pull It (12000 East Montana Ave / US 62 / US 180) is parting two 73 Torinos. Lots of good parts, rock solid wheel houses and outer quarters on one. Cars probably have two months until crush time. I will ship parts.   
 Post Reply Post Reply