The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

75 Mercury Montego strut rods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75 Mercury Montego strut rods
    Posted: 10-November-2022 at 2:05PM
Can anyone tell me if the strut rods on a 75 Mercury Montego are available as a new part ? I may have to torch or cut mine off and would like to know availability before I do that !
Thank you 
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2022 at 1:45AM
Do you have any pics?
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2022 at 2:18AM
No on pictures,  just factory brake reaction rods : strut rods . 
I’ve been soaking the nuts and bushings for  a few weeks and my big Milwaukee impact won’t budge that nut , going to put some MAP heat on it next 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2022 at 5:22AM
If you cut them, you need to find used ones to replace them. They are not reproduced.  That said, Hotchkis does make ones for fullsize Fords that will fit, albeit, they are very pricey.  Compton used them in his build.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2022 at 1:14PM
Thank you for the information, i perused the Hotchkis web site and couldn’t find a full size ford listing for those strut rods . Or am I looking in the wrong spot? 
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2022 at 2:57PM
66 Galaxie for the Hotchkis rods…straight bolt in swap but they’re about 5mm shorter in front of the frame…I had to drill a new hole for the cotter pin but that’s minor…come with new bushings also…
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2022 at 10:00PM
 ive had a couple i had to heat with a torch! not sure never tried map gas i use acetylene torch! benzene and propane torches wont get it hot enough!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2022 at 11:15PM
May be as a last resort to save the strut rods, try drilling the body of the attaching nut then use a chisel to fracture/split the nut to be able to remove it. Just a thought
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2022 at 3:09AM
Perseverance…. I finally got both of the nuts to move yesterday!! 
They aren’t off yet, but I got a full turn on both of them . So I  soaked them again and am going to clean the exposed threads on the strut rod and keep working at it ! They will come off now , just more time !! 
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2022 at 6:36AM
I won !! Got both nuts removed and strut rods out !!! 
And no bandaids !! That’s a win in my world !!
Now does anyone have a torque spec for those strut rod bushing nuts  (1975 car ) ?
Going back with rubber MOOG bushings after I get things cleaned up and the new lower control arms and coil overs installed. 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2022 at 8:29AM
Good job.  The torque spec is 60-80 ft-lbs.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2022 at 10:18AM
Thank you !!!
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2022 at 1:53PM
I am going to get new lock nuts for those strut rods , thinking of using some LOCTITE blue also , do you think that’s necessary with the locknuts ? 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2022 at 8:30PM
 shouldn't be needed with lock nuts. check near the threads for any rust pitting!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2022 at 5:50AM
I’ll get some new steel lock nuts . The threads are in great shape thank goodness. It seems Ford put lock tite on the threads at the factory as there is definitely a blue compound of some sort on the threads where the original nut sat . Maybe that’s why they were an extra bear to remove . 
Off to the media blaster and powder coater  with all that stuff , I really enjoy clean shiny “old” parts !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply