The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

`77 LTD II 351M: what transmission ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Suffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: `77 LTD II 351M: what transmission ??
    Posted: 07-July-2006 at 1:02PM
Hi folks,
I´m new here in this forum and my english isn´t that good, sorry about that!
I´m from Germany and I own a 1977 LTDII with a 351M engine in it. It is a switzerland export vehicle ( maybe the only one !?? ).
Well, I´m not sure what transmission it got in it ( C4 or C6 ?? ), can anybody help me, how to make sure what I got??

I also want to get more power! The 351M is too weak to handle the 2.1 tons. It still has its 2-barrel Motorcraft on it, but I want to install an 4-barrel carb ( Holly or Edelbrock?? ), lunati cam and a weiand intake! Is this a good setup???

Then I want to install two 40-series Flowmaster mufflers, but I don´t know the size of my headers. Do I need to install need headers, when I´m giong to tune my V8 ??
What do I have to be careful about, when I´m giong to tune my engine???

Sorry guys, these are many questions ( maybe some dumb ones ) at one time, but over here in Germany, I don`t know anyone driving a Ford LTDII.

Thanks a lot,

Patrick
1977 Ford LTD II Brougham 4-door ( switzerland export ) 351M
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2006 at 6:56AM
First, check out the Ford Torino Page information:

There are links at the bottom of the page for stuff, like some of the codes, etc.

Also, for the codes, the Torino 1976 codes will be very similar, and for the transmission they will be the same. Check here for the codes:

As far as Carburetors, any newer 4 bbl carb should be fine. Remember to not buy one too big - meaning get a 600cfm or so, not the big 750 cfm. Edelbrock and Holley are both nice, it's personal preference (I prefer Edelbrock) - both are outstanding.

Intake and cam - again, just get parts that all work together. Too much of a cam may not be good, just as some intakes are more for high rpm and high flow, and will not work as well towing the 2.1 tons around in the city.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Sam Suffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Suffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2006 at 8:38AM
Thx,
I`ll check out the link u posted.
So, what will be a fine setup for my 351M?? I want an asphalt ripping high torque monster for doing short sprints but I still want an acceptable gasmilage at about 80-90mph
1977 Ford LTD II Brougham 4-door ( switzerland export ) 351M
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2006 at 2:23AM

With a stock bottom end 351M, you won't do a lot of asphalt ripping..  They have 8.0:1 compression from the factory which is pretty weak unless you are running boost. 

If you keep the M, then you can do what I did on mine, small cam (Crane 272/284 advertised, 214/224 at .050 lift, and .510/.524 lift), Performer intake, 650 carb and port the heads and exhaust manifolds.  If you want to get more spendy, you can get headers as well.  If you want to get real spendy, you can look for small chamber 351C 2V heads, like the ones from Australia, or the aluminum ones now availabel from a couple places.  If I were you, I'd think about at least getting the valves in yours replaced, after two years of racing around, mine ate #1 exhaust valve and that killed the head and block.  Gears are mandatory, at least 3.50:1 if you want to get off the line fast..  Better option?  Get the crank and pistons from a 400, they will go right in and give you a bunch more torque.

Try and get a handle on how much you want to spend versus how much power you need and you can get a better parts list. 

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
stevefretz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevefretz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 12:01AM
 check out www.fordmuscle.com they have a new article on beefing up the 351M  Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply