The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC EVAPORATOR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessieC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC EVAPORATOR
    Posted: 11-July-2023 at 1:05AM
Hello 

I'm the owner of a 73 fastback Gran Torino 351C 2bbl since fall 2014, I'm from Paris, France.

I need to change my AC evaporator, any good deals ? 

Thanks !
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2023 at 3:27AM
Always intall a new evaporator.. I am also in the market for one and it seems that EBay has had the best offers.. Local parts stores are very expensive and places like Rock Auto and Parts Geek don't even list them.. 
JessieC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessieC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2023 at 3:31AM
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2024 at 2:33PM
If possible, consider replacement to a newer modern parallel flow style condenser. Especially if running 134A instead of R12 freon refrigerant. It will require modification of the refrigerant hoses in the systems. 
Also key is improving the amount of airflow over the core compared to the original R12 system.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2024 at 12:41AM
Originally posted by JessieC JessieC wrote:

Hello Piper,

Thanks for your reply, yes I found that one on Ebay

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/265223446321?_trkparms=ni_actn%3Anav%7Cni_nt%3ASellerInitiatedOffer%7Cni_apos%3A1%7Cni_sg%3A1%7Cni_pos%3A1%7Cni_st%3ANEW%7Cni_wh%3A1%7Cni_nid%3A731940246634%7Cni_nsid%3A265223446321%7Cni_et%3A1691519364280%7Cni_bn%3A1&_trksid=p2380424.m570.l5997&ul_noapp=true

Just an FYI, the evaporator pictured may not fit your '72 evap case, the one pictured has 16 core tubes whereas the original uses 14, this increase in tube count also increases the overall size of the evaporator core. The one pictured "should" work for the later model evaporator cases(late '73-'79 intermediates-full size). I found the differences in core sizes when I went through my A/C system. Just double check the original evap core to confirm. Although it seems best to install all new A/C parts, IMO there is nothing wrong with re-using a known good evaporator core, the factory units are usually of much better in quality than the aftermarket provides.  Hope this info is helpful

Edited by aquartlow - 05-February-2024 at 4:08AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
JessieC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessieC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2024 at 5:36AM
Thanks for your help @Eliteman76 !
JessieC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessieC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2024 at 5:39AM
Hello @aquartlow, thanks for your reply, well my gran Torino is a '73 model (sport roof), so I don't think it's a '72 evap case but a '73 evap case, so do you still think it won't fit ?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2024 at 10:43AM
It "should" if it's the original evap case. I believe I have both sizes of evaporator cores on my shelf, I have to get to them and measure them and get back to you with measurements, then you can verify your evaporator case size to know which core will fit correctly.

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2024 at 7:00AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

It "should" if it's the original evap case. I believe I have both sizes of evaporator cores on my shelf, I have to get to them and measure them and get back to you with measurements, then you can verify your evaporator case size to know which core will fit correctly.

Here are the promised pics with measurements. These 2 evaporators are from Ranchero's, one at left is from a late '78/'89 model, on right is from a '72(note core count differences and measured width differences). They have the same thickness(didn't measure) and the same overall height at 12 1/4"

Hope these help.

Post Reply Post Reply