The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air compressor motor arcing on start-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air compressor motor arcing on start-up
    Posted: 11-January-2013 at 1:00PM
Guys,

My father-in-law gave me an air compressor he has had for many years. It came out of an old filling station a friend of his had so it's an old school heavy duty model. Over the Christmas holiday, my nephews loaded into their truck and brought it down to me. I'm just now getting a chance to try it out and on start-up it arcs for a few seconds.....

When the guys loaded it into the bed of the truck, it road for about an hour laying on it's back (the side that's arcing) and I was wondering if perhaps some dirt or something may have gotten into the motor's brushes and is causing this condition. Would a good cleaning with some electrical contact cleaner and oiling her up (it has the old school oiling tubes!!) with some fresh 3-in-1 would help solve the problem?

All suggestions appreciated..... THANKS

Edited by TV 2M8O - 12-January-2013 at 8:52AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2013 at 10:18PM
Had this moved into the Body Work forum hoping for some assistance... Anyone have a suggestion??

HEP ME... HEP ME!! Cry

Thanks guys!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 12:22AM

Joe, if you use the contact cleaner, be sure to let it dry off before you turn it back on.

Worst case, you may need brushes and clean the commutator. (I think that's the word)

Should last a long time.

stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 12:27AM
I'm an electrician but not a motor expert by any account.....HOWEVER.....IIRC, many larger motors don't have brushes. They have 2 sets of windings, 1 for starting (high torque) and 1 for running (high speed, I guess). The start windings are controlled by a centrifugal switch that breaks contact when the motor reaches a certain RPM. This switch has a set of points, kinda like a car distributor. Over time they can become burnt and pitted, eventually getting to the point (?) where they won't make contact and the motor won't start, it'll just hum. To change this switch the end of the motor has to be pulled off. This may be easy or hard, depending on age, rust, etc. If the points are just dirty or oily it may clear up on its' own but if it's old as you say, the switch probably needs replaced. A shot of contact cleaner won't hurt anything as long as the power is turned off. 

All this being said, it may have been like this for years and may continue to run for many more...but it may quit tomorrow. 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2013 at 5:24AM
Hey guys,

Was a good idea to move the post to the Body Shop forum... LOL, lots of help now!!

Spoke to my father-in-law and he said it never arched in the past, so I'm pretty confident it's just dirt and contaminates kicked up by transporting it to it's new home. Gonna hit it with some contact cleaner and a couple good blasts of air to blow things out. Let ya know how she does...

Didn't realize how old school this thing was until I noticed the name on the pump portion.... York Ice Machine Company! My gosh, that's like late 30's early 40's???? LOL, thing is built like a tank!

I'll post some pics once I get her all cleaned up....

THANKS ALL FO THE HELP.... KEEP IT COMING

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-January-2013 at 5:25AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply