The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

air conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: air conditioning
    Posted: 01-July-2011 at 12:23PM
My 79 ltd2 will not blow cold air. The lines freeze or ice up but nothing gets inside the car.Brfore I get had at a air condition shop would like some ideas,wife wants air,one quote 650 to change over to r34
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2011 at 1:12PM

look at the hot water valve,thats located in one of the heater hoses,this valve cuts off coolant flow to the heater core during a/c operation.make sure the valve is operating correctly.you may even have to remove the valvefrom the hose to make that the inside flapper is attached,a good quick check is just crimp off the hose with with apair of needle nose visegrips,and see if your a/c functions correctly.this is probably  the easiest thing to check,and a very likely cause.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 2:29AM
Out of curiousity, assuming a car is original, what hose should that vacuum controlled heater valve be connected to? black with a blue stripe?

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 10:21AM
I was having icing up issues on my lines.
I still was seeing the lines ice up lightly, and ended up being low and not enough 134a.
I had to top off the system and cured the issues.

However, I had to replace the vacuum door motor as mine was shot.
Was not opening the flapper door.

I managed to swap out in the car, had to drill two holes in the case to get at the 1/4 inch head screws.
That, and had to tear the dash completely apart...which -sigh- isn't bad but still sucks.
I've got a '72 GTS, but I don't know how different the 77-79 unit is.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 1:40PM
I don't know about the black w blue but its the inside heaterhose going into the fire wall.As for the vac door motor that sounds like my problem. Summer is almost over.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2011 at 3:15PM
Where does the vacuum hose that connects to that valve come from on your car? the fire wall, in a rubber grommet with another hose? 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2011 at 3:40PM
I will look tomorrow.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2011 at 3:29AM
yes the other hose goes to the vac canister. Also the vac control is on the outside hose not the inside like i stated. gess my eys are getting old.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2011 at 3:31AM
yes the little hose goes to the fire wall
joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2012 at 1:06PM
If the lines are icing up near the evaporator inlet and you charge is good then it is most likely a bad thermal control valve. it is the valve with a copper tube coming out and cork taped to the evaporator tube. this controls flow though the evaporator. these cars do not have a pressure switch control on them. if you are getting heavy ice on your line you should have a good charge. a good shop can recover your charge and reuse most of it. r12 is still available but expensive. beleave 409 is the new direct replacement and is a dark brown cannister. I would not recomend just tossing r134 in it like most do. the system is'nt made for it. Make sure you weigh in the propper amount of refrigerent. Under charging won't be as good and over charging can cause a compressor lock up on extreamly hot days. I have had cars come in with the compressor shaft twisted off from over charged systems.
The valve can be bought at any napa. 
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2012 at 12:53PM
HI Joe-
Actually, the icing issue was due to the fact the dampner door was not opening, and not getting enough airflow over the evap core.
I forget the exact amount of 134a I used, but I did have a guy that is an instructor for a local school that does HVAC and automotive AC assisted me, along with help from a buddy that runs a frame/body shop.

Biggest thing was I was monitoring the hi and low side pressures to make sure they were within Ford's specs for charge...the service manuals were very helpful on this.

I know the times I was running a machine when I did autobody for a living, pulling vacuum was always a bit of a big deal for me. Just want to make sure all the moisture is pulled from the system.

**edit, sorry, I thought this was my old post!
Re-read things...charge amount is critical.
I converted my to 134a, if I had money, I'd convert to a sanden type compressor, and go to a late model, cycling pressure switch setup with the POA eliminator kit.
I decided to spend the $200 to have my hoses remade with 134 specific hose, using the original fittings.
Reused my r12 fittings as the guage set I have for 134a screws onto r12 fittings when you pull adapters off the lines.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 12-February-2012 at 12:57PM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply