The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone ever install an alarm?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone ever install an alarm?
    Posted: 12-May-2014 at 10:03AM
Aside from wiring in a radio, speakers, or something minor, I'm pretty horrible with electrical.

I picked up an alarm pretty cheap at swap meet this weekend. Figured I'd give it a shot doing it myself. So far, I have a huge headache, and got nothing more done than labeling the wires from the alarm harness. 

Has anyone done one in theirs? What wires are what. Aside from the dash and headliner, the interior is completely out of the car. I figured that might make this a bit easier. Any help would be appreciated. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2014 at 12:57PM
Sorry, but my adolescence was spent deactivating alarms, rather than installing them, lol.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2014 at 2:34PM
What brand of alarm did you purchase? I used to install alarms(amongst other things) when I worked at a decent automotive stereo shop for side $$ in my younger days. I used an older Excalibur alarm in mine to activate the door solenoids(shaved handles), lock/unlock doors, starter interrupt, also roll-up the windows when the alarm is armed. Even dealing with an older vehicle you do have quite few options on what you want the alarm to control. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2014 at 7:19AM
It's an older Prestige. The model # is  APS-255CH

I wanted it to unlock/lock the doors, and use as a trunk release. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2014 at 8:53AM
Originally posted by mlachance112785 mlachance112785 wrote:

It's an older Prestige. The model # is  APS-255CH

I wanted it to unlock/lock the doors, and use as a trunk release. 

Do you have the needed wiring diagram for the Prestige alarm? IIRC, Prestige was an Audiovox built alarm. You can go here for a download of the Prestige owners/installation manual:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/downloads.asp?srch=all&term=prestige
Just click on the APS255Ch PDF link. Hope this helps. There are a number of options/connections that can be used with this alarm. Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2014 at 3:52PM
I have the instructions and diagram too. Just have zero clue of the wiring on the car side of things. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2014 at 4:47PM
Audiovox is some high dollar stuff. Just do not use those self tapping connectors, Solder connections with heatshrink tubing over it after.
Take care of my twin cougar.... :)

Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2014 at 5:18AM
Ok, here is a few wire color designations from the APS255CH and how they will correspond with the wire colors with your vehicle, I have just a few so far. I believe you will be able figure out your mounting location of the alarm's "brain", nearer or on the steering column/firewall on the driver's side is usually the best choice or option, if this location is used it will make all or most of your connections and/or wire runs less in length. I also figure you will be suited to find your B+, IGN. ON+ and your ground for the alarm, I mostly concentrated on the option end of your wiring. All the first wiring colors is from your alarm.
(A)WHITE: Parking light output.....BROWN WIRE found on the headlight switch. (B)GREEN: Grounded pin switch. If you install aftermarket pin switch that grounds to body of switch when hood, trunk or door is opened. (C)PURPLE: Interior courtesy light output.....BLUE/BLACK STRIPE can be found on headlight switch, not energized until dome light activated by switch. (D)ORANGE: Starter interrupt.....RED/BLUE STRIPE found on ignition switch mounted to steering column. DO NOT CONNECT WITH RED/LIGHT GREEN resistance wire for vehicle's ignition! (E) RED/GREEN/RED w BLACK TRACE: Door lock output, these outputs MUST be used to activate the door locks by the use of a relay, the locks draw more current/amperage than the alarm brain can supply. Ford uses a "ground at rest" system for the door locks. LOCK: PINK/ORANGE DASH UNLOCK: PINK/BLACK DOT these can be found in the doors themselves or in the kick panels of each side of the lower cowl. A pre-wired DLS(Omega alarm) type of module is preferred for this installation(makes it much easier due to the relays being pre-wired), due to the reversal of ground/power when the operation of the locks goes from lock and unlock. Hope this helps and gets you started. Good luck. Todd

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2014 at 3:12AM
Yes. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2014 at 6:00AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Yes. 

UH OH, SPAGHETTI-O's .
Paul,(did not mean to sound like I am "breaking" on you)I have got the same sort of pictures (of wiring "mess") when I installed my alarm system and spruced up the dash. As your pic shows, removing the dash may seem like a lot of work to others but to get all the features/benefits an alarm system possesses, doing it this way is usually the best (if time is on your side). Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2014 at 9:52PM
Time isn't really the issue. I fear that my dash will crumble if I try to remove it. I have one that isn't cut for a din radio as a spare, but I wasn't on planning doing that for a while yet. Maybe I'll hold off on the alarm for a little while. Who knows. 

***If I have to pull the lower dash to swap steering columns, then yes... I may as well do the alarm too. 

Todd: if you have pictures from when you wired in your alarm, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2014 at 12:44AM

Time isn't really the issue. I fear that my dash will crumble if I try to remove it. I have one that isn't cut for a din radio as a spare, but I wasn't on planning doing that for a while yet. Maybe I'll hold off on the alarm for a little while. Who knows. 

***If I have to pull the lower dash to swap steering columns, then yes... I may as well do the alarm too. 

Todd: if you have pictures from when you wired in your alarm, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple. 

I'll see what I can dig up(actual photos, not on disc or SD card), it's been over 15 years since I installed it, but I still remember the "mess" of wiring. The alarm can be installed without dash removal, but your back will remind you of your decision during the wiring process. Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2014 at 9:06PM
I'll be starting on the alarm tomorrow (today?) hopefully. As long as weather is ok. So here's what I have. Hopefully this works out ok. I'm definitely not confident with wiring like this. 

I'll list the wire color from the alarm on the left, and what the color is from the car on the right. 

Alarm:                                                         Car:
White (Parking Lights)                                    BROWN
Red (+12V) and Red/White (Fused)                   TO BATTERY
Dark Blue (Trunk Release)                               PURPLE/YELLOW HASH
White/Black (Alarm Speaker)                            alarm speaker (red + and black -)
Black (Chassis Ground)                                   GROUND
Yellow (Switched 12V ign.)                              (-----)
Dark Green (Hood/Trunk Trigger Switch)            TRIGGER SWITCH (Grounded)
Brown (Not Used)                                           Not Used
Purple (Existing Positive Door Pin Switch)           BLUE/BLACK STRIPE
Orange (From Relay)                                       RED/BLUE STRIPE
Black/White (Low Current Neg. Output To Operate Horn Relay) 
Blue/Black (Not Used)                                      Not Used

Green/White (For Entry Illumination)
"The dark green w/ white trace wire provides a 30 second ground signal whenever the system is disarmed, and pulses ground whenever the system is triggered. It should be used to provide the (optional) entry lighting and to flash the vehicle's dome light while the alarm is sounding. This is a transistorized, low current output and should only be used to drive an external relay coil. 

Connect the dark green with white trace wire to terminal 86 of the AS-9256 relay (or equivalent 30A automotive relay) and wire the remaining relay contacts according to the polarity of the dome light circuit in the vehicle

NOTE: When wiring this feature in vehicles with factory equipped delay lighting circuits, it is best to connect to the output of the timer which feeds the dome light, rather than at the door switch. This will ensure that the dome light pulses when the alarm is triggered."

Light Green (Trigger Zone 1 For Optional Negative Triggering Sensors)   

Door Locks:
I know LOCK is Pink/Orange Dash, and UNLOCK is Pink/Black Dot...
"Door Lock Outputs:
Red Neg. Lock, Pos. Unlock
Green Pos Lock, Neg. Unlock
Red/Black Neg. 2nd Unlock"
^I have no clue about that stuff. 

What I'm unsure of is, Do I need the 'Light Green' wire from the alarm? What wires go to what for door lock/unlock, what to do in regards to the dome light/vehicle entry illumination, and what to do with the black/white wire to 'operated horn relay'. 

Sorry for all the questions. 

And this was from a week or so ago. 
To this:
Back to this:
Then this from tonight:

Thanks in advance for the help with the alarm!
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2014 at 11:50PM
Looks like you made the right choice by removing the dash, your back should definitely thank you for this move! At least now you can easily install any and all the under carpet sound deadner/heat shield material. The DARK GREEN/WHITE TRACE wire will or should be used for entry illumination and should be used with a Bosch style of relay due to it's limited output capacity. The dome light wiring in your Cougar is also connected to the under dash courtesy lights, unless you want to operate the dome light only(through the use of blocking diodes) you can wire the DG/WT wire(through a relay) to the + output side of the door pin switch(you may have to use a test light at the pin switch to find which wire is energized when the switch is in the open position). The LIGHT GREEN wire is used for a negative trigger output(metal cased pin switch that grounds to body/chassis when in the open position), you "could" install a pin switch for the hood and/or trunk, which adds to the wiring duties but really isn't necessary. I believe your alarm should have what they call "current sensing", which causes the alarm to engage/siren "wailing" when an electrical load is sensed(like a dome light coming on when the door is opened). The BLACK/WHITE wire is a horn output wire obviously, if the alarm has a siren I would not worry about using this output, but if you want to use every last option, you can wire this alarm wire to the horn relay that should be located on the brake pedal support(IIRC). It is a three pronged relay, it is also used in cruise control applications. The BLACK/WHITE wire can be wired to the YELLOW/LIGHT GREEN dot wire, wiring it this way uses the factory relay for the horn's electrical load so you you will not have to wire in another relay. I hope this helps. I will try to get back to you with wiring options for the door locks. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 03-June-2014 at 11:52PM

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2014 at 5:37AM
If you go here:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/manuals/514/514dlsv.pdf
It will explain the different types of power door lock systems, including the type you have for your door locks. It is a 5 wire reversal rest at ground(seen between pages 2 & 3), thus you shouldn't just "T-tap" into the wiring, you must cut the factory wiring and bridge that gap with the alarm's signal wires or more appropriately a door lock relay module. A door lock module such as an Omega alarm DLS module (or something similar) will make installation much easier, it is pre-wired for 2 or 3 relays depending on which module/options you choose. If a module isn't available or will not just "plug-in" you will have to wire up your own relays or modify the input wiring for the module(cutting the plug off) to allow it to work with your alarm, for 2 reasons. (1) Because the factory system doesn't use relays to activate the door locks that you can tap into. (2) Because the Audiovox alarm doesn't seem have the output amperage capacity to properly lock/unlock the door lock actuators on it's own due to only having 300ma of pulsed(+/-) output. I hope this will help. Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2014 at 6:35AM
Holy cow!! Disconnecting a battery or pulling the coil wire will be my anti-theft device.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2014 at 6:52AM
Now that I see that mess I might pass on the idea.My parts car has fac.door locks trunk release and theft alarm system.Was thinking of putting in my car.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2014 at 8:41AM
I wanted my alarm to do a host of things, once installed, through the use of the remote. Lock/unlock doors with driver's door priority(done before I shaved the handles/lock cylinders), give parking light output when armed/disarmed, roll the windows up when armed(power windows), use the truck unlock feature for door solenoids(removed door handles and lock cylinders), shock/air pressure sensors when armed, starter kill relay, using a third channel output for the motorized bed cover linear actuators(yet to be installed) and etc. Looking back it was all overkill, who in their right mind is going to steal a 1979 Ranchero . Peace of mind is worth something, so knowing someone will have above average trouble stealing, let alone hitting or even bumping my ride without notifying me or others around is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. If they really want your ride, time and opportunity is all a criminal needs, even with an alarm. I figure if I can slow him/her or them down enough, they might just get a bigger surprise then what they anticipated .   

Edited by aquartlow - 04-June-2014 at 8:54AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2014 at 8:53AM
Never underestimate what a thug will steal. Anything to make a score, a buck, or to pacify their own self-centerdness.

In the words of a buddy of mine - "Thar ain't no Chitty, Chitty in that Bang, Bang"

Priceless.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2014 at 2:35PM
All I have left is the doorlocks. Is this diagram the same as the Omega harness you sent? 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2014 at 2:43PM
That looks like it. I will do some double checking though, just to be sure. Todd

Using this will simplify the install,

Edited by aquartlow - 07-June-2014 at 2:45PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 3:12AM
Thanks Todd. 

Fingers crossed, this should be done this afternoon. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 5:46AM

Thanks Todd. 

Fingers crossed, this should be done this afternoon. 

You're very welcome. I have another diagram for you, basically the same as the one you posted. Good luck and post your results, good or bad. Look at the bright side, if it gives you fits, you will more than likely get through a whole week's worth of cussing in just one afternoon .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 6:02AM
Every seems to make sense except for where the wires from the alarm itself go. 
"Door Lock Outputs:
Red Neg. Lock, Pos. Unlock
Green Pos Lock, Neg. Unlock
Red/Black Neg. 2nd Unlock"

I'm realizing that I never want to do this again. Lol.
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 6:09AM
Mainly, how it says "Red Neg. Lock, Pos. Unlock. Then Green Pos Lock, Neg. Unlock"

Also. the 2nd door unlock. I know what it does, but where does it go? 

Sorry for the dumb questions. 

Edited by mlachance112785 - 08-June-2014 at 6:16AM
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 7:38AM
I looked a bit more at the APS 255CH manual, it states that you may have to use a AS 9159 door lock interface when attempting to use the door lock outputs of the APS 255Ch for a 4 or 5 wire reverse polarity door lock system(which is what you have). That said, and not being there and seeing exactly what you have(or are going to use to energize the door lock/unlock actuators) I would say that if you have a door lock module like I posted or wire some relays like the door lock relay diagram you posted it should not be too bad of an install. The RED wire will send a negative pulse to the relay that locks both doors, the GREEN wire will send a negative pulse to the relay that unlocks the doors. If you want the alarm to have driver's door priority when unlock button is pressed(using the RED/BLACK trace wire) a third relay is needed. Using the drivers door priority will involve a bit more wiring to isolate the door lock actuators from each other.
Basically the RED wire sends a (-) pulsed signal to the lock relay which locks the door lock actuator when the lock button is pressed on the remote or when arming the alarm. The GREEN wire sends a (-) pulsed signal to the unlock relay when the unlock button is pressed and/or the alarm is disarmed, the unlock relay can be attached to both doorlock actuators or in a driver's door priority install the relay will only send an unlock signal to the driver's door actuator. To open the passenger door in a driver's door priority install the RED/BLACK trace wire will be used to send a (-) pulsed signal to a third relay that will send an unlock signal to only the passenger side actuator when the unlock button on the remote is pressed a second time.
Here is a very vague schematic of the AS 9159 door lock interface.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/12221/Audiovox-As-9159.html
Sorry, if I am not being anymore help to you. Those instructions are pretty vague on how/why polarity changes on those door lock output wires of the APS 255CH. I will say if you use the door lock relay diagram(s) you or I posted, it will work fine. If not, for some reason, you may have to find the Audiovox AS 9159 module. Good luck and keep us posted. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 08-June-2014 at 8:27AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 8:12AM
I think you have successfully answered all my questions!

Hopefully I'll have some good results later on to post. 

Thanks again!
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 8:32AM
I hope I have helped, at least a little. I just updated my earlier reply due to a contradictory error in wiring color/designation . Just wanted to advise you of the change. Good luck, Todd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 12:07PM
Almost done!
Stuck on the ORANGE wire.
Low current starter solenoid wire. Would that be the RED/BLUE? Or the RED/GREEN.
for that relay, it's also asking for a 12v+ ign/crank.

This might be my last question!

Edited by mlachance112785 - 08-June-2014 at 12:08PM
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2014 at 2:19PM

Almost done!
Stuck on the ORANGE wire.
Low current starter solenoid wire. Would that be the RED/BLUE? Or the RED/GREEN.
for that relay, it's also asking for a 12v+ ign/crank.

This might be my last question!

Sorry, been away a while.
RED/ LIGHT BLUE stripe wire is the starter engagement wire, the RED/ LIGHT GREEN stripe is the resistor wire for the ignition. DO NOT TAP INTO THIS WIRE, it will give the ignition system fits and the wire will get hot and possibly a potential fire hazard. The RED/LIGHT BLUE wire can be found on the ignition switch. A 12v+ that is powered both during RUN/CRANK can be found either on the ignition switch or there is a spade tap on the fuse panel, look between the upper and bottom row of fuses that is where the spade taps are. I do not remember(been a while) which one has power during key-on and engine cranking. Just get your test light and check. If you decide to tap into the ignition switch wiring, soldering and heat shrink is in your future, not an easy option. Once again, I hope this helps. Todd

One note before I forget. When you cut the starter engagement wire to introduce the relay signaled by the ORANGE wire for the starter interrupt from the alarm, as a backup option I wired an ATC fuse holder across the cut RED/LIGHT BLUE stripe wire that can be accessible without having to get under the dash but also concealed. I did this to mine due to if in the event the alarm brain gets fried, or I couldn't shut it off I can install a fuse and start it. Doing this allows me to get the vehicle home and work on it there, not diagnose or rip out a mess of wiring on the side of the road. If you look at the wiring diagram of your alarm, where the wire cutter symbol is, is where the fuse holder is located. Just an option, but I figured it may help. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 08-June-2014 at 2:33PM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>