The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best street/drag intake?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba_Clide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best street/drag intake?
    Posted: 27-December-2023 at 5:41PM
Hello all, Nick B again. I have a set of 1969 Boss 302 heads I plan on putting on my 351-4v. I currently have a edelbroke rpm air gap intake with 2v ports on my factory 4v open chamber heads. Im wondering what the best intake would be for my case.

I want an intake that allows for good low end performance which you'll need more on the street but still flows good for high end/rpm fun times. Should I stick with a 2v intake even though i have 4v heads or go for a 4v intake?

I have looked into 4v port fillers that you put in the intake ports of 4v heads to turn them into a "3v" port. Only thing I dont like is how you have to drill holes in the bottom of the intake ports for the bolts to properly hold the fillers in place if you ever want to go back stock and remove them.

What would you recomed for a street/drag setup with these heads? Itll mostly be a street car but I still want a good intake for an old fashion street race.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 1:12AM
I have pondered that for a long time, the best intake choices I saw are the RPM Air Gap, and the Parker Funnel Web. But the complication is the engine, the displacement, the fuel, the power band, the transmission, gears etc.

Lots of possibilities, I think I'm aiming to try to stroke a Cleveland to 377CI or close to that, and use the PFW with port fuel injection. I'm going to refresh my to sell truck and install the RPM Air Gap. The RPM Air Gap might reach 6500rpm and make the best street power.

If the goal is any racing, I'd aim at the higher rpm PFW and build the engine to survive at 7000rpm, and get big gears in the trans.

Those 69 Boss 302 heads have 2.25" intake valves, you know the stock heads have to have the valves replaced, plus the seats right? They are not cheap to build.

The PFW has somewhat smaller intake ports also, not a ton bigger than 2V ports. I'm planning to get that and use the port stuffers, which are not always easy to get. Parker still makes the PFW, I'm kind of wondering if he makes one for the aftermarket block that is Windsor based(9.5" deck height). That would be ideal if he made that, giving more options for a Clevor.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Bubba_Clide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba_Clide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 6:02AM
The heads have been gone through and the valve seats replaced. The intake valves are 2.23 inch. The Boss 429 heads have the 2.25 inch valves I believe.

The previous owner had the engine and trans rebuilt and I dont know how good of a job they did. They used the wrong oil so it wiped out the cam and never did a cam break in even though it had a flat tappet cam. Judging by that, I dont know how much I trust the rebuild they did. They also built it with factory internals. It has negative dish pistons and had a single row non roller chain.

I replaced the cam, chain, lifters, pushrods, and rockers. It makes great oil pressure. 60 psi at idle but since I dont know how well of a job they did on the rebuild im scared to push it past the factory 5400 rpm redline. They had a 7000 rpm limiter in the msd box but it still has a factory bottom end. I saw into the bottom end when i pulled the timing cover off and it was all factory stuff.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 6:18AM
The Cleveland isn't made for sustained high rpm in stock condition, which is why NASCAR and Bob Glidden etc, all upgraded the oiling system. If you want to go much past stock rpm, you need to be sure the oiling system has at least the oil restrictors installed into the specific oil passages. That and chamfering all of the journal holes, not as much oil goes up into the lifter/pushrods/rockers, and more stays on the crank and rods.

That's my worry with my complete 73, I need to take the 351C apart and see that the oiling system is upgraded to survive to 6500. I plan to upgrade to a roller cam also, but note that's easily $1000+ given the high cost of lifters, pushrods, and custom cam.

All of that is why building an old Cleveland is tough for most people, they have some unique needs.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 8:13AM
did you have the Boss 302 coolant passages reworked to Cleveland / Reverse Clevor configuration?

what cam and rear gear is in the car?

sounds like you're looking for a BlueThunder intake, dual plane for good manners from idle to redline whatever that may be up to 6-6.5k with the Holman-Moody plenum divider modification. be aware if you're shopping the BlueThunder came in several versions; angled or flat carb flange for Panteras, solid, notched and cut plenum dividers, with and w/o carb heat, there was even a 4500 Dominator carb version. this pic is the standard plenum divider notch

this is the Holman-Moody plenum divider mod applied to the Edelbrock Airgap as it comes out of the box. pretty sure i'll be doing this to mine

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-December-2023 at 8:26AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba_Clide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 9:40AM
The car has 325 gears on an open diff which is about to be swapped with a detroit locker with 350 gears. It has a Comp Cams Thumpr cam. The coolant passages have not been modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba_Clide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 9:50AM
I dont know if any work has been done to the oiling system. If I had to guess judging by the quality of work that was put into the rebuild, i doubt it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba_Clide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 10:46AM
I just looked into them and I think they are 1970 CJ or boss 351 heads. My father bought the heads and went off the date code on the guide plates and the size of the intake valves. It does have 2.23 inch intake valves and the date codes on the guide plates do start with "c9" but the date code on the head is a 1970 code, "D0ZE" and it does have the same coolant ports as the heads on my car. I think they are Boss 351 heads that someone put Boss 302 valves in
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 2:39PM
something to check while you have the heads off, the depth of the 'thumbprint'. it can be insightful to how much / if any the heads have been decked, consensus is that the thumbprints are .080" - .085" deep on uncut heads

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba_Clide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2023 at 5:08PM
Ill be sure to check. I know that when the heads were at the machine shop, the head gasket surface was just lightly skimmed over to clean it up but I have no clue about the past of these heads so ill definetly check
 Post Reply Post Reply