The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake light switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake light switch
    Posted: 17-January-2023 at 7:16PM
1973 Ranchero 500.  I'm  replacing brake booster & having problem connecting brake pedal & booster actuator rod and particularly reconnecting the brake light switch.  I've removed the driver seat for access.  I'm working from below (or trying to).
I'm thinking if I pull off the dash cover & pull out the gauge cluster I can access my problem area from the top.
Any advice?
DJsTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJsTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2023 at 5:25AM
I did this on mine in the summer. It took way longer than I care to admit because its so frustrating. I ended up attaching the rod to the pedal first then inserting the rod into the master. I have an adjustable rod so that may not work if using a factory one. 

Pulling the cluster may not be a bad idea especially if you have someone that can help you through the top side, but those brittle plastics make me very nervous to mess with.
Speedoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2023 at 6:17AM
I got dash cover off..no problem.  I got gauge cluster loose but can't  figure out how to get access to speedometer cable to disconnect it so I can pull cluster out further.  I have stock power brakes & don't see how I could connect rod to pedal first & then get it back into booster.  I'm not giving up!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2023 at 10:13AM
Welcome! Like DJ said it's tricky. I was able to do mine under the dash but it took some time. If you have to pull the cluster, to release the speedometer cable you have to squeeze the release near where it connects at the cluster. Once you do this the cluster will release easily. Again, it might take some trial and error to figure it out the first time.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Speedoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2023 at 1:10PM
Thanks.  I finally got booster rod attached to brake pedal & brake light switch installed...without pulling the cluster.  I spent hours laying in the floorboard under the dash!  When it finally came together it was like bing-bang...non event!

Post Reply Post Reply