The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C4 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C4 rebuild
    Posted: 10-September-2012 at 11:39PM
I have to rebuild my C4 tranny. expected output is not more than 350 HP. could anybody advise which rebuild kit to buy for my aplication? I've found TCI http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-528900/  & B&M http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-50231/ kits on summit, both with shift kit, but maybe someone have more expierience with different kits?
2015 skoda octavia vRS-wife's car
'99 audi TT quattro 225HP-wife's toy
Gran Torino Sport fastback 351C-getting closer :)
DUCATI scrambler 803-new toy :)
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2012 at 2:06AM
TCI kit is hard to beat, in my opinion. Had a B&M Turbo 400 in a '78 Bandit, strong as could be, but not very refined. Of course, that was years ago.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2012 at 11:59PM
Before you tear down your transmission you don´t really know what you´re going to need,  
are the thrust washers worn, bushings etc. Those TCI and B&M kits don´t cover everything.
Here´s a couple of companys I used as parts resource:
+eBay has rebuild kits.

Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2012 at 3:49AM
if you can find a c6 it can handle more and cheaper to rebuild then a c4 i just went that route c4 was going to be around a 1000.00 to build up and i got the c 6 rebuild and stall converter and shift kit and beef up to 800 hp for 825.00

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-September-2012 at 10:20AM
Originally posted by inenidok inenidok wrote:

if you can find a c6 it can handle more and cheaper to rebuild then a c4 i just went that route c4 was going to be around a 1000.00 to build up and i got the c 6 rebuild and stall converter and shift kit and beef up to 800 hp for 825.00

Wink i think you forgot to mention the need of different lenght drive shaft, different transmission yoke, probably different flexplate, converter etc, and all the other hassle when changing transmission type (Got the experience of swapping a FMX to C6). Marian: I would say unless you find a really good deal, stick with the C4. Either of those kits you mentioned will most likely make your C4 to handle 350hp.

Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

marian601 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2012 at 7:25AM
i'd rather play with C4. I live in Poland, it's much easier to find here parts for VW or Skoda than C6 plus more parts for swap ;) . so I'm going to purchase TCI kit, unless someone advise something better in similar price. My new '72 fastback won't be a drag racer, all I need is less than 8 sec 0-60 mph and to do nice burnouts :)
marian601 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2012 at 8:09AM
next thing is torque converter. I'd like to instal a little bit higher stall converter, can you advice a good choice?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 7:18AM

Can´t recommend anything specific. I have a B&M Holeshot 2400 on my C6. It´s a 10" diameter converter, I´m not totally pleased with it´s low rpm range operation, somehow it feels like it really stalls closer to ~2800rpm, it´s ok though. I had a 11" TCI Breakaway 2400 stall converter with the previous FMX transmission, I liked the way it behaved in the low rpm range more than the B&M. Maybe someday I´ll try another torque converter, but that´s not on top of the list.

Are you familiar with the Ford transmission forum? http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2012 at 4:45AM
Just a note on stall converts. Your rear axle ratio is important.If you are running say 55mph with a 2.75 ratio running 2100 rpm with a 2400-2800 stall you will have some problems as the convertor is still slipping and also causes excessive transmission heat ( drastically shortening its life ). If rear axle ratio is changed so rpms are higher this is not a problem. Either way always a good idea to add a extra transmission cooler to the loop.

Edited by Robbdtme - 27-September-2012 at 4:46AM
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2012 at 11:41PM
Originally posted by Robbdtme Robbdtme wrote:

Just a note on stall converts. Your rear axle ratio is important.If you are running say 55mph with a 2.75 ratio running 2100 rpm with a 2400-2800 stall you will have some problems as the convertor is still slipping and also causes excessive transmission heat ( drastically shortening its life ). If rear axle ratio is changed so rpms are higher this is not a problem. Either way always a good idea to add a extra transmission cooler to the loop.
You´re right, that´s a good note! Plus the rear tire diameter affects rpm. http://www.richmondgear.com/101032.html
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Post Reply Post Reply