The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C6 transmission crossmember

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C6 transmission crossmember
    Posted: 10-March-2012 at 12:34PM
Alright everyone, it's time for my stupid question of the week.... (BTW, ended up solving last weeks problem by taking the sawsall to the exhaust just behind the cat converter)... now on to this weeks predicament....

Have everything unhooked and prepping to pull the engine/transmission (460/C6) as a unit and I was going to remove the transmission crossmember first. Removed the nuts from the trans mount and the crossmember to frame bolts and put the floor jack under the trans pan to raise the tranny just enough to get the crossmember out but SURPRISE the transmission hit the tunnel before it was high enough for the mount hardware to clear the crossmember! I looked at where the crossmsmber was and discovered it is setting on TOP of the frame transmission perches!!

Is that correct? If it is, how would you get the crossmember out if you were just going to drop the transmission?

I've pulled engine/transmission assemblies before but this is a first for me... HEP ME, HEP ME!! Geek

Thanks in advance for the input....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 12:46PM
It is a challenge, I usually work one side off of the perches first..   If there is an easy way to get it past the studs, I'm 0 for 10 on finding it.
Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 12:48PM
WHEW...... Thanks Jim, I was beginning to think it was time to hang up the wrenches! LOL Embarrassed

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 1:05PM
I usually end up mangling the trans mount, but getting it out. I too, am 0/10. Lousy design with little afterthought, in my opinion.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 1:05PM
my crossmember was bolted onto the bottom of the frame on each side.  i unbolted the tranny from the crossmember... put my jack under the tranny... unbolted the crossmember from the frame... and dropped the crossmember out.  then the tranny was free to drop down.  i cant imagine they had a different setup because it is a 429 but i may be wrong.  got any pictures?   
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 1:09PM
The frame changed in 74 I believe.. The cross member sits on top of a piece of angle iron welded to each frame rail.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 1:13PM
oh. i see...  i didnt realize they changed the design.  mine is a 73
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 1:20PM
FWIW, the older design seems much easier to work with.

Anyone have any pictures of a 72 or a 75+ crossmember?

Paul
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 1:41PM
You might be able to jack the trans to it's highest position then slide the crossmember all the way to the passenger side or the drivers side to allow it to give just enough room to be removed from the framerail perches. Another way is slide one side of the crossmember to the front of the vehicle and the other side toward the rear and see if that frees the crossmember. I was just today messing with my trans crossmember making more clearance for the 3" exhaust. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
bmf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 1:48PM
72 under frame
73 under frame
75 on top of bracket (same as posted picture)

That's all I've got.  I can get pictres tomorrow if needed.
"I am completely broke and have the ability to sustain that"
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 3:01PM
I have a 73 and mine was mounted on top of the frame like you said your's was. As for getting it out, the way I managed to do it is by putting the left side as far back as I could and the right all the way to the front over the little lip.The trans had the jack under it. Then a small hit with a hammer to the right side and it came down. Just be careful though, it came close to landing on my head and these things aren't light. Once it was out I cut about 1/16-1/4 inch off both ends so now it goes in and out with no problem.
1973 base model Torino
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 3:18PM

Yes, the Paul is correct that the cross members changed in design in 74.If my memory serves me correct,once the bolts are removed to the frame and the nuts are removed from the mount.Jack up the trans just enough to take the weight of the trans off the crossmember.now push one side of the crossmember towards the front of the car while pulling the other side of the member towards the rear of the car,(you are turning the crossmember off of the frame perches).the trans mount holes in the crossmember are slotted which allows it to do this.Its been awhile since I've removed one in our cars......But like I said if my memory serves me correct.If I'm wrong,It won't be the last time and please let me know.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 3:23PM
73 torino,you beat me to it.I'm a slow typer.thats the way to do it!Thumbs Up
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 4:35PM
The cross member change was done mid production on the 73 models, so there's a 50/50 chance of having a 73 with the later style cross member.  As for the easy way of getting the cross member out, you gotta unbolt the rubber mount from the tail housing of the transmission AND the cross member.  Once that is done you jack the tail housing up and then slide the mount out, from there it will be MUCH easier to get the cross member out without killing yourself.  I found this little trick out when I discovered that I had installed the mount on the tail housing of my transmission backwards, not a fun experience!

Edit: Once the mount is out you just rotate the cross member just like everyone else has been saying.  Good luck and mind your fingers!

Edited by torkair - 10-March-2012 at 4:38PM
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2012 at 8:06PM
Originally posted by torkair torkair wrote:

The cross member change was done mid production on the 73 models, so there's a 50/50 chance of having a 73 with the later style cross member.  As for the easy way of getting the cross member out, you gotta unbolt the rubber mount from the tail housing of the transmission AND the cross member.  Once that is done you jack the tail housing up and then slide the mount out, from there it will be MUCH easier to get the cross member out without killing yourself.  I found this little trick out when I discovered that I had installed the mount on the tail housing of my transmission backwards, not a fun experience!

Edit: Once the mount is out you just rotate the cross member just like everyone else has been saying.  Good luck and mind your fingers!

Yes, Torkair is correct I remember doing this on my Elite a few years back.

If I remember correctly those bolts were pretty had to get at also. Good luck

NO PROBLEMS ONLY SOLUTIONS

Edited by 1zebra3 - 10-March-2012 at 8:07PM
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2012 at 2:30AM
Originally posted by 73Torino 73Torino wrote:

I have a 73 and mine was mounted on top of the frame like you said your's was. As for getting it out, the way I managed to do it is by putting the left side as far back as I could and the right all the way to the front over the little lip.The trans had the jack under it. Then a small hit with a hammer to the right side and it came down. Just be careful though, it came close to landing on my head and these things aren't light. Once it was out I cut about 1/16-1/4 inch off both ends so now it goes in and out with no problem.

This sounds like the easiest solution for future removal of the crossmember (not like I plan to remove mine regularly or anything Wink ) so once I get mine out, I will trim the ends of the crossmember as 73Torino suggests and will advise the amount that works for mine.

The removal of the transmission mount prior to removing the crossmember sounds like a PITA since the access to the mount-to-tranmisson hardware sounds like is so limited. I'm sure more than one Ford (and other shops) service tech has cursed the engineer who dreamed up the design!

That's what makes this forum the best on the web... solutions are so freely shared!

Thanks everyone for your help!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 9:12AM
I got the transmission crossmember out!! I raised the transmission as high as possible, pushed the passenger side of the crossmember as far forward as possible and the driver side as far rearward as possible. Then, after getting a good grip on the driver side of the crossmember, a firm yank to the rear and out it came. YEA!!!

CAUTION: the crossmember is VERY HEAVY so make sure you are out of the way when it falls... Ouch

Thanks all for the advice!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2012 at 9:30AM
TV 2M8O, did you create any new curse words in the process LOL? Todd 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2012 at 4:20AM

No, LOL, surprisingly it came out quite easily! I had a death grip on it expecting it to be a bear to yank out and I jerked with all my might and actually slung it across the floor because it slid right out! Sure glad I was out of the way or I'm sure I would have!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2012 at 6:13AM
Glad to hear you got this out. No problems only solutions.
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply