The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car COMPLETELY died going into drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car COMPLETELY died going into drive
    Posted: 22-June-2014 at 7:52AM
So I started my 1977 XR7 to go for a drive today, and it started and idled just fine. Backing out of my driveway, all was well; put it into drive to go forward, and EVERYTHING died: car stalled, no dash lights, no cabin light.

I pushed the car back into the driveway and checked the battery: 12.61 V, load test “OK” (according to my voltmeter, whatever that ‘s worth LOL). So, I have juice at the battery, but nothing going to the rest of the car. It sounds like an open-circuit somewhere, but what would cause that going from reverse to drive? I checked the main battery cables, and they seem okay...

Any help would be most appreciated! I need to know where to at least start looking!

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2014 at 8:56AM
check your ground wires from the block to the body, check both positive and negative wires from the battery along the way to engine, to fuse box, to dash, to ignition switch,etc. sounds like a loose or corroded main connection somewhere
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2014 at 9:15AM
The fact that not even the cabin light comes on suggests it shouldn't be the ignition switch; is that a fair assumption? 
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2014 at 10:43AM
My bet is the starter cable, solenoid cables, or a bad terminal.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2014 at 10:50AM
right, i meant check back from the battery till you find the problem, it sounds like it's a main connection somewhere. fusible link??? ground from block to body? corrosion inside battery terminal to the cable?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2014 at 12:59PM
Yeah, check the fusible link.
Verify the voltage at the cabin junction block from the main power wire.
Then yup could be the ignition switch block, when you shifted it, something in the column shorted out? IF that happened it should have blown the fusible link so look for a CAUSE if the fusible link is bad.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2014 at 1:54PM
Okay, good to know, thanks guys.

I read up a bit on the "fusible link" in the factory service manual, but I must admit I don't really know what I'm looking for; anyone have a picture or good description of where to find it?

The main cables from the battery are newer (I put them on in 2011, I think) and look good, so I guess I'll have to start from there and work backwards. Ugh, I'm terrible at this type of diagnosis, but I really don't want to have to take her to a garage!

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2014 at 2:15PM
the wires the net size down from the batter cables that attach to the solenoid.
Should have a big molded rubber block on it near the connection. check it along the wire back to the firewall to look for a break

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2014 at 2:22PM
they should be at the solenoid connected with the positive cable from the battery, they are a wire that has a 4" section molded to the rest of the wire ,that looks smaller than the rest of the wire, with a large rounded bump on the wire
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2014 at 4:08PM
My fusible link burned out a week and a half ago.  Similar where the car died without warning while driving down the road.  I smelled a slight electrical burn as I pulled over and found the issue pretty quick.  Now I need to find the cause.
 Post Reply Post Reply