The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conversion to manual transmission.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conversion to manual transmission.
    Posted: 16-November-2021 at 3:30PM
   So I have my parts car for the swap. I haven't started to tear into it yet but wanted to make a complete list of exactly what I need from the donor before offering the roller to an interested party. The driveline is complete so basically the order in which it comes apart is what I am looking to put down.
-Floor hump 
-Shifter boot
-Pedal assy.
-Steering column
-Z bar and linkage
-Z bar bell bracket
-Z bar frame bracket and blind nuts
-Transmission and mount
-Driveshaft
-Shifter and knob/handle
-Speedometer cable and correct driven gear.
-Reverse switch and wiring harness
-Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing, and longer bolts
-Blow shield, fork, throwout bearing

***Please add to the list as you see fit.***

Edited by handsofstone - 17-November-2021 at 1:40AM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2021 at 6:08PM
when you take it apart check if it has any wiring to the column NSS??? but you will probably swap columns anyway but you may need to jump 2 wiresWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2021 at 1:46AM
Definitely using the column from the donor and all wiring associated with swapping to rallye equipment group gauges. I will go through the Ford manuals to see how the wiring is routed etc. 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2021 at 11:19AM
That sounds like a pretty complete list.  If you need diagrams, I can find some for you in the Master Part's Catalog.  We also have a full detailed wiring diagram for download on the forum here:

Does your car have headers or exhaust manifolds?  There could be clearance issues if you have headers.  Keep us posted on the swap. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2021 at 11:46AM
  I don't have headers. My car has a 400 so I will need a 429/460 Lakewood blowshield unless I put a built q code in my car.  Headers would probably have to be custom made from what I have been seeing. The cool part of this whole swap is that I have every nut, bolt, screw, switch, and wire to complete the project. The diagrams in the link will come in handy.
   Trying to get my hands on a few boxes of mothballs balls to try and keep the mice away. Someone suggested Irish spring soap as well.  I am going to stuff steel wool in the exhaust pipes also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2021 at 11:50AM
 The engine has what I suspect are bent pushrods but all the lights seem to work. Wipers and switch work and it is nice and tight. Same with light switch. Having spare switches is never a bad thing.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2021 at 7:18AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

The engine has what I suspect are bent pushrods but all the lights seem to work. Wipers and switch work and it is nice and tight. Same with light switch. Having spare switches is never a bad thing.

I never really heard any odd valvetrain noises in that motor, what makes you think it has bent push rods? I'd hear a tick like a lifter once in a while  on startup but I contributed that to it sittin for long periods without runnin and it always quieted down after a few minutes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2021 at 7:35AM
  Will pull valve covers next time I am there. Definitely valve train. Engine needs rebuild.  
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2021 at 8:37AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Will pull valve covers next time I am there. Definitely valve train. Engine needs rebuild.  

your definition and mine of needs rebuild are way different. when they don't smoke, knock and keep good oil pressure, i try not to even look at them wrong lol LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2021 at 8:46AM
  Evidently. It is just one more set back to add to the list.
  Finding everything for my 400 is proving difficult. I want to stay with the mechanical clutch to keep the power brakes and not have to go to a new style setup.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2021 at 12:18PM
Other than the bellhousing, which as you said you can us a 429/460 bell, what other parts are you having a hard time with for the 400?  Most of the other stuff should work.  While the bell housing is expensive, it's still a lot cheaper than a rebuild on a 351C.  I'd love to do a TKX with my 400.  I think it'd be a killer combo with all the torque.  

Do you have any pics of how the mechanical clutch setup on the donor car?  I am curious to see how it comes through the firewall by the booster.  I wonder if it would be at all possible to some how retrofit the original linkage through the firewall to use a hydraulic slave cylinder so the vacuum booster could stay in place?   
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2021 at 12:55PM
   The donor has no power brakes. Pics on the phone are so small I have to send them to my laptop then post. 
  Aside from the bell, I need the fork, Flywheel, and clutch. 
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 4:49PM
Consider talking with Modern Driveline. They can source a flywheel, build a clutch package in house, and likely have the fork. If they don't have the fork, You are going to have to see if maybe someone like Fortes Parts connection (Ask for Mike, he used to have a tremec swapped '72 GTS) can set you up.

Otherwise, need to see if the fork is the same for a 351C car.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 4:53PM
   I have been over to Mike's place. Did not know he had a 72 at one time. He has lots of sweet stuff but deals are not plentiful. 
 Post Reply Post Reply