The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cork vs Rubber Trans Pan Gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7D4FGTSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cork vs Rubber Trans Pan Gasket
    Posted: 05-February-2011 at 3:52PM
Hello,

I plan on having my fmx transmission fluid changed.  Do you recommend a cork or a rubber pan gasket?

Type F Trans Fluid.....?

Thanx,

Edited by 7D4FGTSE - 05-February-2011 at 3:53PM
Thanx,

Coogan

1974 Ford Gran Torino Sport
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2011 at 12:38AM
Personally, I like rubber gaskets. They often have metal inserts to prevent "over-squishing" (a technical term used only by professionals).  Geek

Edited by stanman - 06-February-2011 at 12:39AM
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2011 at 1:52AM
x2
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
7D4FGTSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7D4FGTSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2011 at 5:32AM
Thank you all for replying to my post.

Ronnie
Thanx,

Coogan

1974 Ford Gran Torino Sport
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2011 at 9:57AM
I prefer the black material style gaskets.
They are not cork but some form of material like a rubber/gasket paper stuff.

I make sure I use Yellow 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive to glue the gasket to the pan.
also take a small ball peen hammer, put the point in EACH hole of the pan gasket surface and tap it with another hammer. It flattens out the pan and prevents from pinching the gasket prematurely and allows for a good torque on the bolts without bottoming out the pan before it tightens down on the gasket.
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2011 at 5:27PM
Typically, as long it is Fel-Pro, I'm normally good with it, Cork or Rubber.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2011 at 8:36AM
Trans pans can be a pain.

I use a thin tacky gasket stuff (if forget the name but NOT silicon rtv) to glue the gasket to the pan. Let that dry for a while and it is much easter to line things up.
Also, don't over tighten the bolts and use the same gasket stuff on the threads of the bolts to keep them tight without having to crank the hell out of em.  When I do mine they are about 10 to 15 lb/in, about what you can get out of a screwdriver with a socket tip.
I also use structural seal type washers. They are like cone shaped washers with a rubber washer on one side. As you tighten the bolt the rubber gets pressed against the pan and into the threads creating a nice seal.
Material of gasket doesn't matter as much as the method of installation. I have rubber one now and it seems to be fine. Not one drip. 

-Billy Conturo
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2011 at 12:43PM
I usually use wheel bearing grease on the gasket to hold it in place. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply