The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cylinder heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericeugene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cylinder heads
    Posted: 16-December-2008 at 7:46PM
I have a 71 Toruno 500 w/ a 302 that was bone stock when I got it. I have put new intake, carb, headers and noticed when I went to put new spark plugs in, the autolite 45 were too big, the 25 series fit the heads. I was told that 1977 or so was when Ford made the heads that take the smaller diameter spark plugs. Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I get the casting number to see exactly what I have?

Thanks, Eric.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2008 at 1:59PM
Someone must have swapped out the heads or probably the whole motor for a later model one.If you can post the head numbers and block numbers I can tell you what year it is.There's not a lot of difference on the late model stuff,you could probably just get an early 80's 302 plugs and would be fine.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2010 at 10:39AM

sorry to hijack, but i need some info i can't find on google

I wanna know what's the max lift on 302 stock heads?
I have to get a new came this week end, and i'm lookking for something with 512/512 or 496/520 lift.
Is it gonna be ok, or i should expect clearence issues?
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2010 at 2:13PM
 Llyes, from what I was told at my performance shop .550 lift is the max on a stock late model 302 but that is really pushing it. The .512 should be fine but your springs may not handle the lift as worn springs are weaker at higher lift rates.

Jesse

Edited by Blueoval76 - 07-July-2010 at 2:13PM
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2010 at 3:49PM
thanks, i'm still not sure if i will run these on my heads, it depends of the money i have and where i will move. If i can, i was thinking of GT40P heads, i know they can take the lift, but i wasn't sure for the stock ones.
In case i put the cam with my current heads, it will be for less than 2 months Wink
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2010 at 6:20PM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

thanks, i'm still not sure if i will run these on my heads, it depends of the money i have and where i will move. If i can, i was thinking of GT40P heads, i know they can take the lift, but i wasn't sure for the stock ones.
In case i put the cam with my current heads, it will be for less than 2 months Wink

For GT40P heads you are going to have a rough time finding headers to work with them and I have read on a few other forums that the GT40 springs are actually weaker! Not sure why that is but if you are not going roller then be sure to buy a cam kit so that you have matching springs. It is cheap insurance and not that much more. I have learned many lessons the hard way and just want to keep you from having to do it all over. Wink
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2010 at 2:56AM
thanks for the tips, and yep, the cam i'm gonna run will not work with stock springs
 Post Reply Post Reply