The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
    Posted: 22-February-2011 at 11:33AM
So I picked up my cylinder heads from Grumpy the Machine Shop Guy last week. In my discussions with him, he recommended a couple of options for exhaust manifold gaskets:

1.  No gaskets if the heads and manifolds are both surfaced straight or new. I was a little wary about this option.

2.  Metal gasket - he said the largest contributor to exhaust manifold leaks (aside from uneven surfaces mating) was the metal on one side and paper on the other gaskets. The reason is heat transfer. He made the case that a metal exhaust gasket will allow the exhaust manifold transfer heat back into the head, which since it has coolant in it, will be able to better dissipate the heat.

I had already purchased gaskets, and mistakenly assumed the exhaust gasket I got (Fel-Pro) was a combination metal/paper (like the previous one I got last year from NAPA). So I ordered a copper gasket off Summit. I was surprised to find my Fel-Pro was steel. So once the Summit package comes I'll have both a steel and copper exhaust gasket set.

I assume either will be OK for use provided I use the cowboyupdjcarl method of spraying a light coat of ultra copper spray on both sides?

Interesting topic either way. I have never given the matter any thought at all. Since the exhaust manifolds on my 66 Chrysler 300 leak crazy-silly (but I can't do anything about it right now til the pickup is done), I'll be better armed with how to solve the matter.

Only problem? For my pickup I can simply get on ebay and buy both exhaust manifolds for like $60 each, just a click away (chinese castings). For the Chrysler?? No such luck. Found a $500 set of new castings, but for a B-body (I'll have to find out if they will work anyway).
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2011 at 12:44PM
I have always used the first option. If the manifolds or head has any pitting, I use a thin layer of red rtv.
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2011 at 4:03PM
I use felpro manifold gaskets even with headers and they seem to work well. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2011 at 5:25PM

After blowing out many paper gaskets I was advised to use only copper silicone to seal it. I was skeptical at first, but I've now put on over 1500mi and havn't ran into an issue at all.

As for the collector gaskets, when I had cheap headers and the flage was warped I used one of those "dead soft" aluminum gaskets and it seamed to seal fine.
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 2:19AM
I tried the copper silicone on my Cougar. I made more of a mess than anything (and still didn't seal). There's zero room to pull out the headers between the block and control arms :(
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 4:29AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

I tried the copper silicone on my Cougar. I made more of a mess than anything (and still didn't seal). There's zero room to pull out the headers between the block and control arms :(

Personally, I keep worrying about that as well. Obviously headers seem like the obvious (only) choice for a 521 stroker. Exhaust manifolds would be sooo much easier (and quieter). I know the regular 70's passenger car headers are junk (too small, too little flow), and folks say the cobra jet ones are ok for mild builds. I wonder how the 460 truck manifolds (newer truck) are. Not sure they'd even fit, but worth looking into. The pics I saw made them look to have rather large ports, etc.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 5:49AM
Just get the Hookers and be done with it :). To be honest, I thought you had them already. 
Paul
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 6:11AM
Hookers are the obvious choice. I'm not sure I'd do anything different unless the solution was obvious and 100% (which there are not).

I was going to order the headers, transmission and converter at once, have it arrive (about the time I need it) and then just stab everything in all at once. I have room for the engine to sit around in my garage, but very little other space (although a nice set of headers would be another great conversation piece!)

Project doesn't move forward until the F-250 (aka "science project") is complete and out of the garage. And I've got a couple of minor things to accomplish on the 66 Chrysler 300.

At that point, my plan was (roughly):

1.  Prep new front suspension/brake parts. Basically get all that stuff ready to change out in short order when car is in garage.

2.  Take the front clip off. Start cleaning/repairing/painting all those parts (not exterior finish paint, all the inside stuff).

3.  Bring car in garage. Remove engine/trans/etc.

4.  Perform cleaning/painting/etc to front area.

5.  Change out brakes/suspension/etc.

6.  Stab in engine/trans/headers.

7.  Reassemble front clip.

8.  Complete underhood items.

9.  Car runs!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 6:42AM
#1. Was the engine from Carl broken in already?
#2. Does your car run currently?

Paul
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 6:46AM
Carl ran it a couple of times. It's all sealed (and still shrink wrapped). I asked him about it, and he said the engine would be fine for quite some time as long as I don't unseal it.

The car... sort of runs. With enough coaxing and 20 minutes of effort (and a recharged battery), I can get it started. Something is real wrong with the engine, possibly (likely) a slipped timing chain or equivalent. Enough to get it into the garage one last time more or less.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 7:42AM
Ah damn, I was going to suggest getting the suspension all done completely before digging into the engine. Brakes bedded, full alignment, all that fun stuff, then you can concentrate on the last piece of the puzzle.
Paul
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2011 at 8:06AM
Yea, it started running really badly about the time (last spring) I was having trouble with the ignition switch. Got the switch figured out, and the poor thing was still running very badly. 235,000 miles, I am surprised it made it this far. Not bad for an original 351W.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply