The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fastback Rear Window Seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67Ranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fastback Rear Window Seal
    Posted: 21-April-2022 at 2:53PM
Hey all, new to the forum  and hope there's an answer for this. Just got a 69 GT Fastback for my son and noticed the rear window has not seal on it and not place i can find sells one.  Does anyone know who sells these?
New Lime 69 GT Fastback
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 11:09AM
I may have an update on the fastback window seal.  I have a '68 Torino fastback and want to change the seal some time in the future.

I looked online as I'm sure 67Ranch has done and found no seal anywhere.  I sent an email to Eckler's asking about the seal.  Their site shows a seal for the notchback and sedan cars but no fastbacks.  I received a reply from their tech department today:

"I believe the fast back windows were glued in... using butyl tape. I have looked all over and see no one carrying one. I checked steele rubber, auto krafters... carpenter where we get these others seals... I can find nothing unfortunately. Makes me wonder if the fast backs were just glued in."

It never occurred to me about glue rather than rubber seals and I think the tech is on to something here.  As we know, modern cars all use glue/adhesive for their windows but I never thought Ford did this in '68/69.

I'm going to check with a auto glass shop for any information.   

“Speed costs....how fast do you want to spend?”
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 1:38PM
I can tell you that the used  ‘68 backlight that I have was glued in.  The sticky black stuff is still around the edge of the window as proof.

Dfox
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
67Ranch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67Ranch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 2:48AM
Wow thanks, hearing that I found here that Galaxie's of the era used butyl tape for the front windshield. Would still like to find any documentation about these Torino fastbacks.
New Lime 69 GT Fastback
 Post Reply Post Reply