The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First real drive - Help Toploader stuck in Reverse
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First real drive - Help Toploader stuck in Reverse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First real drive - Help Toploader stuck in Reverse
    Posted: 07-July-2023 at 10:41PM
Hi forum. I took the 72GTS out of the garage today for the first real drive. Bloody awesome…very, very peppy and responsive. All was good…..UNTIL I put it in reverse…..couldnt get the tranny out of reverse. I had to go under the car, and pull the lever forward out of reverse.
Schucks….I have this problem earlier. I have cleaned(took it apart) and greased Hurst shifter mechanism. New bushings an all. I also aligned the mechanism with the pin and gears in neutral.
Ideas welcome…….
GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2023 at 10:57AM
Go over all your work and double check again. Make sure the shifter engages each gear without any stiffness. Thumbs Up
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2023 at 11:55AM
Nice to hear you got the car out and it runs well! I have little experience on Toploaders, but I did find this thread that might be helpful: 

I also moved you post to the transmission forum so and added to your title so hopefully someone with experience chimes in.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 09-July-2023 at 1:00AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2023 at 5:59PM
My sh*tbox parts car has a spring slapped on the reverse lever. Probably for the same reason. Cannot wait until that heap is gone.
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2023 at 8:16PM
Thanks for info and advice. I will check everything again. I did contact Mr Toploader himself(Paul Cangialosi). He advised ‘the shifter is the problem’….most likely to ‘loose’ and ‘not compressed’ correctly. The tolerance between shifter plates/shims must not be more than ‘0.030”’. I hope this it…I will be under the car today, and attempt to tighten everything up a bit.
I will also try to post a photo of the car in sun!
I am pretty happy that the 351cj engine pulls so fine. I am running the original 3.50 open diff gearing. I did manage to ‘chirp’ a tire in first gear(kinda unintentional 🥴)…no burnout or anything, but it pulled damn fine! Would like to change to posi later on….
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2023 at 9:35PM
 had a very similar problem last week on a 65 belair that belonged to a late friend of mine another close friend bought the car and had me do some upgrades to the engine and a new clutch... shifting was kinda screwy before and when i put it in reverse same thing happened, i got it out but was real stiff and hard to get out againConfused rechecked all the levers for adjustment and noticed why there were a few added washers under the tranny mount... the shift rod was rubbing the crossmember when it was in reverse added another washer to gain the needed clearance! works super smooth now!!! its a 4sp muncie with Hurst shifter and linkage... in neutral looking at it , it had plenty of clearance but as the rod swings into reverse it would drag across the crossmember and bind! something to check...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2024 at 12:15PM
Side note to this older post:
I on occasion could wedge my Toploader between gears. 

I got to the point of keeping a open ended combo wrench 1/2" and 9/16" and would use that on the shift rod nuts to unwedge the transmission if it hung up between gears.

Occasionally my Toploader I think threw a fit at being manhandled like I did so much and bang shifting it like I did on a regular occasion. 

Full rebuild also helped. After the rebuild I also pulled the shifter completely apart, cleaned between all the spring plates on the Hurst super-Comp shifter and applied light layers of bearing grease. 
Made for a big difference in operation of the shifter just giving it some love and a complete strip down and cleaning. 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply