The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flywheel perhaps?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel perhaps?
    Posted: 03-September-2022 at 8:30PM
Hi forum. Since I have the engine out of the car atm, I can inspect everything. I am fighting with myself whether or not to totally refurb the engine with all new stuff!šŸ¤ šŸ‘šŸ¹šŸ»

The flywheel has a few chipped teethā€¦..afaict, the flywheel is 164 tooth. (4sp/351cj).
What flywheel can you fellas recommend? I just want a standard OE flywheel.
I found a Pioneer flywheel over at Summitā€¦FW-113. Reasonable priceā€¦.
What ā€˜balanceā€™ do I need? External, 28ozā€¦..is my guessā€¦please confirm. Thanks.
Lemmeā€™ knowā€¦šŸ‘
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2022 at 2:36AM
The original flywheel is part number C6TZ-6375-C which was used on many applications for many years, including the 1972 351CJ.  The Pioneer website shows that FW-113 interchanges with Ford E8TZ-6375-C

NDP shows that E8TZ-6375-C is interchangeable with C6TZ-6375-C so it should be good.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Yellosn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellosn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2022 at 7:06AM
A machine shop can press on a new ring gear if thatā€™s practical for your situation. When I had my flywheel surfaced I didnā€™t know it was a separate piece. The shop called and said they could just flip my ring and re-install to get on the ā€œfreshā€ side of the teeth. I didnā€™t have any damaged teeth, just normal wear.
Troy Emerson
Eugene, Oregon
1972 GTS 4speed
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2022 at 8:42AM
Yesā€¦I was actually contemplating just that. The clutch and flywheel look and feel good and smooth. No need to change them.
A new ring gear is easily doable. A ā€˜flipā€™ is the cheapest option. Free basically!šŸ‘ 
My engine ran pretty goodā€¦I am just doing needed ā€˜basicā€™ service. Timing chain, oil pump, valves, gaskets, cleaning, painting, etcā€¦ā€¦I am nearly finishedā€¦just small items to go.
I live in Denmarkā€¦ā€¦machine shops that ā€˜knowā€™ these cars and ā€˜can do itā€™, can be counted on 2 fingers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2022 at 10:17PM
My flywheel is smooth and nice. No gouges and very even wear(if any). I will reuse it. (Original FoMoCo flywheelšŸ‘šŸ¹). I tapped of the ring gearā€¦..very easyā€¦..a punch and 4-5 taps around the ring and it came of.
I have ordered a new 164 tooth ring gear. The new ring gear will be heated and fitted.
I have cleaned up the flywheel nicely and coated it with some light oil. (To prevent rust while I wait for some parts) This oil will of course get cleaned off before install.šŸ‘
Now to make a clutch decision!šŸ»šŸ¤æ
Yellosn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellosn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2022 at 6:54AM
Iā€™m no clutch expert, but if youā€™re replacing your friction disc, you may want to get your flywheel machined to help with break in. Maybe even a good scuff with a disc sander? Of course, if youā€™re not replacing your pressure plate either it might not be an issue.
Troy Emerson
Eugene, Oregon
1972 GTS 4speed
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2022 at 10:06AM
Do you have a pic of the flywheel face?
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2022 at 7:18AM
Now I have something puzzling me. Rockauto is not listing the correct clutch flywheel kits anymore for the 72-74 four speed cars. 

I looked on pioneer and had to look under 1970 Mustang 351 (Doesn't say C or W) and got back:

PART NUMBER : FW-193

Original Equipment (OE) Part Interchange

OEM: C5AZ-6375K

My original Ford flywheel that I am still using has this cast and stamped on it:

Cast# C5AE 6380-E
Stamped# C7TE-A  
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2022 at 7:20AM
Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

I live in Denmarkā€¦ā€¦machine shops that ā€˜knowā€™ these cars and ā€˜can do itā€™, can be counted on 2 fingers!

Sadly, days of automotive machine shops in the USA are getting slimmer as time marches forward.
Especially the shops that know 50 year old Ford V8's.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2022 at 8:18PM
Ok guysā€¦Different route. The original flywheel was in great condition. The ring gear wasnt. 
I bought the Pioneer FRG-164N ring gear. It was a perfect fit! I cleaned the ring gear and flywheel mounting surfacesā€¦..put the ring gear in the oven at max heat for 15minā€¦ā€¦and it just slipped on the flywheelā€¦spun it a few rounds to seat it. Done. 
šŸ‘šŸ‘

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2022 at 2:40AM
Well done.
 Post Reply Post Reply