The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Motor Oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Motor Oil?
    Posted: 29-October-2013 at 2:10AM

What Motor Oil do you guys recommend for a stock 1973 351C-2V?    

Just looking for the best all-around oil for a 75K mile car.  The engine appears to be all original & never rebuilt.  The car runs great with no issues.  I'm not sure what oil the previous owner used & this will be the first oil change since I got the car in late May.
I only drive it in good sunny weather and it will only be driven in the winter months if the roads are clear and dry -- which is not very often in northern Ohio!  

Thanks!
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2013 at 2:15AM
I use Castrol GTX in my older engines. Castrol Synthetic in newer models and lower mileage older engines.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2013 at 4:26AM
Same here, I have been using Castrol GTX as well (except the Honda which gets Honda motor oil).

However I have been considering the switch to Valvoline VR1 since it contains ZDDP. Modern motor oil is somewhat void in zinc because of the concern to protect catalytic converters, however for older engines zinc is a necessary content.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2013 at 8:00AM
I use a HDEO (Heavy-duty engine oil) in old flat tappet V8's, specifically Shell Rotella 10W30.  Most modern oils lack ZDDP for emission reasons.   Flat tappet cams need a healthy dose of ZDDP to live long lives.  Most HDEO are rated for both gas and diesel engines.  I had an old truck with nearly 250K miles on it running a flat tappet cam and HDEO, no oil burning or major consumption.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2013 at 1:36PM
Amsoil   ......there is a special blend of synthetic that was developed especially for our type of engines....awesome stuff...no sludge deposits,ever...
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2013 at 1:06AM
100% agreeing with zebra 3
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
Duff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2013 at 1:29AM

Thanks for the info.  

I did a little research and I agree, Amsoil Z-Rod sounds like great stuff for our cars but where can I get it?  I don't think I've ever seen it at any of the auto part stores around here.  Do you have to order it from the Amsoil website?
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2013 at 1:38AM
I prefer EVOO.
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2013 at 2:33AM
Amsoil is typically only available through mail order.  It's good stuff, although there are many other oils just as good for less money.  I don't see the need to run a synthetic in my old car due to the low miles  it sees (short oil change intervals) and no extreme temperatures.  Further, with an older engine with old seal technology, it is still more likely to leak.   If your car sees extreme temperatures, is run hard near the limit, or your are looking to have long oil change intervals, maybe a synthetic is a better choice.  That said many "dino" or conventional oils these days are nearly as good as synthetics.  I know my Torino has seen nothing but dino since day one, and after 40+ years and 150K miles it is VERY clean under the valve covers.
There is a ton of info on selecting the "best oil" for your car.  Realistically, though most modern oils will be fine as long as they are changed on a regular basis (Synthetics, like Amsoil can go for much longer intervals).  However, most experts agree that running an old flat tappet engine, you should select an oil with higher levels of ZDDP. 

If you really want to know a TON about oil and see some real experts, check out the forum on this website:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2013 at 12:00AM
Originally posted by Duff Duff wrote:

Thanks for the info.  

I did a little research and I agree, Amsoil Z-Rod sounds like great stuff for our cars but where can I get it?  I don't think I've ever seen it at any of the auto part stores around here.  Do you have to order it from the Amsoil website?
  Check for a jobber in your local area....could be as simple as you pick up or he possibly delivers....also, it's quite possible for a racing equipment shop to have some of the products in stock or know of a source where you can go.
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2013 at 4:28AM
Brad Penn 10w30
Mike
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2013 at 5:25AM
Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30 oil?

It does look like good stuff.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply