The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water in oil?!?!?!? HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in oil?!?!?!? HELP!
    Posted: 18-March-2014 at 11:10AM
Ok, I got new exaust put on my falcon, and it sounds great btw, but while it's running on the drivers side pipe it kinda sprays out water not like a water hose, or a spray bottle, but drops coming out. The passengers side doesn't really do that. So I pulled the dipstick out, and wiped it on my finger, and not a lot but some creamy liquid, and I checked the valve cover caps, and the same. NOT a lot, but some. Should I be worried!??? What do I do?......the car sounds like the muscle truck from roadkill...
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 11:17AM
Hmm...glad I'm not the only one here that watches Roadkill. A little water dripping from an exhaust tip is normal, though.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 11:19AM
But only on one side?? Also that same side kinda makes a little noise coming out of the pipe, maybe a valve needs adjustment?

And as fast as that water got up there, it seems like it would flood the exhaust pipe? Mabe water is making the noise? It's not a tapping noise, it's kinda undescribable

Edited by Grantorinosport351 - 18-March-2014 at 11:22AM
~Bryan
67falcon
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 11:45AM
It doesn't sound good at all when you describe the oil as "creamy". It could just be a failed head gasket, but could also be a crack in the block and/or head. Check your radiator's water level/condition of the antifreeze/water and also see if there is abnormal pressure build-up when removing the cap. Water out the tailpipe is "normal" for a few minutes after start-up, but after engine warms to operating temps there should not be any water spitting out the tailpipe. Good luck, hopefully your worst case scenario is a bad head gasket. Do a compression test and have the cooling system tested for pressure, these should help with diagnosing the problem. Keep us posted. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 18-March-2014 at 11:48AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 11:52AM
Ok, so I think the water WAS condensation, it stopped after a few min..........when it was running, I put my hand over the exaust pipe, every once in a while it would barely suck my hand in. Is that valve adjustment? And on the dipstick, it would all be oil, except a little group of white (creamy) substance.
~Bryan
67falcon
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 11:58AM
Also check for PCV functioning. PVC not functioning/not there can cause moisture in the oil, especially with a little blow-by.
You are running a 351 W, correct? If so, check the intake manifold bolts. They can lose torque/loosen just a bit and let water squeek by. Because they go straight down, (perpendicular to the ground, not perpendicular to the heads) they don't always hold tight. the service manuals for ford smallblocks used to specify a retorque interval of 30K miles or so. DO NOT go ape tightening these bolts. Use the correct torque value as they are small and break with application of too much elbow grease. Also. if you are running an aftermarket intake, the bolts may bottom out(too long).
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 12:24PM
Ok, I checked the bolts, they're fine, PVC is fine.....my dad said that the small amount of white stuff could be sweat?....my main concern is why every once in a while the drivers side pipe sucks in air for a split second?
~Bryan
67falcon
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 12:33PM
sounds like you need Ilyes, he loves pulling heads

has it been excessively humid there in TX, I kinda doubt it?

what engine, 302 / 5.slow ?

I would hold very little hope in retorquing to stop a head gasket coolant leak on any engine

Edited by Rockatansky - 18-March-2014 at 12:35PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 12:37PM
Hasn't been very humid.....haha, 5.slow lol....it's a 351w
~Bryan
67falcon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 12:55PM
it could be as simple as an intake manifold gasket weeping into the valley

the exhaust should clear up as you say it does after the engine reaches operating temp for a bit

running w/o a thermostat can cause crankcase condensation, sludge & worse

Edited by Rockatansky - 18-March-2014 at 12:57PM
72 GT Ute

foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 1:02PM
Hello? Iyles?
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 1:03PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Also check for PCV functioning. PVC not functioning/not there can cause moisture in the oil, especially with a little blow-by.
You are running a 351 W, correct? If so, check the intake manifold bolts. They can lose torque/loosen just a bit and let water squeek by. Because they go straight down, (perpendicular to the ground, not perpendicular to the heads) they don't always hold tight. the service manuals for ford smallblocks used to specify a retorque interval of 30K miles or so. DO NOT go ape tightening these bolts. Use the correct torque value as they are small and break with application of too much elbow grease. Also. if you are running an aftermarket intake, the bolts may bottom out(too long).

x2 all of it..

May I add. I have seen up to an entire cup of water condense in oiling systems over time. Not kidding..
Same exact thing you are talking about, slight white dipstick.

One time, I let the engine sit overnight, went to drain the oil the next day..
water water oil oil oil oil....

If you have antifreeze in the system and the water in the pan is that color, you've got a problem
If the water in the pan is clean, you're good

It always depends on climate. Nature does funny things with humidity and condensation.

Don't go pulling heads and such right off the bat. Check the easy stuff first such as fluid levels, valve train, and compression. Change the oil and filter.

A leak between the combustion chamber and water passages will make it's self known. Maybe not un-drivable, but you will more than likely know whats going on. A leak in the intake runner to water may not be as obvious.

Good luck
-Billy Conturo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 1:28PM
Well I got her tuned pretty good, the air sucking thing isn't happening. I'll have my friend come over with his compression tester and timing light, and go from there. Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated.
~Bryan
67falcon
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 1:45PM
sounds like normal condensation at the top of the stick, pcv, and filler cap. is the entire oil creamy? if you are getting coolant in the oil, it won't take long running and /or driving and the oil will be ALL creamy color, if it's just on those areas thats normal
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 1:49PM
Yeah, it's just in those areas
~Bryan
67falcon
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 2:01PM
you're probably fine, if you drive it 5 or 10 miles and the entire oil is creamy- you got problems!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2014 at 10:38PM
Well, what can I say, I love pulling heads, especially on an easy to work on engine ( I pulled a head from a VVTI yesterday).

I agree with Rockatansky, torquing the head will yield no improvement(unless your head bolt went loose, which I would really doubt. If you have excessive pressure in your cooling system, then you can play my favorite game and pull the head for a trip to the machine shop (given you issue is coming from it).
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 1:55AM
We have those issues around here with a whitish creamy condensate in our engines. Short trips, repeated starting and stopping, cold weather, etc don't let the engine oil get up to a proper extended temperature. You have not been driving the car much, so that is to be expected. WIpe off what you can, change the oil, get in the car and drive it for a good while. All that condensate will go away. Just a normal thing with cooler weather and short trips.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 3:40AM
Top off your radiator and go for a decent drive -say 1/2 hr or longer.  Let the engine heat up and let the oil get hot and circulated.

Go home and let it cool off for a couple hours.  Check your oil.  If its not black or dark brown, or in any way resembles something you would get at Starbucks, you have water getting in the engine.   Check the radiator you filled up earlier and see if its down at all.  It should not be.

If it is, you are sucking water in the engine.  Run antifreeze?  Get much cold where you are?  And by cold, I mean low to mid teens (assuming you run antifreeze)?  
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 9:24AM
Thanks guys, and yes I run antifreeze, it only gets below freezing for about a week or two, and if you don't run antifreeze your screwed! Found that out the hard way lol. I believe the white creamy stuff is just condensate. But I'll try what you guys said. I really wish I had an aftermarket heat gauge so I can at least know my temp. (Wiring is a mess!) i have a little leak around the water hose/intake seal and I don't have an overflow, but I'll try to fix the leak and rig something up for the over flow
~Bryan
67falcon
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 9:32AM
Your fan thread will have something to do with this!!!!
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 10:47AM
a little coolant in the oil goes a long way toward making the milkshake

if you catch it early it's almost impossible to tell by the level in the radiator

by the time you start seeing the coolant down...

Originally posted by Grantorinosport351 Grantorinosport351 wrote:

your screwed!

Edited by Rockatansky - 19-March-2014 at 10:48AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 10:55AM
I think, that was just build up over the winter, I looked today and the oil looked fine, and there was no white stuff.....so I may have been worried for nothing? Just wanted to see if it was major. One I get my fan fixed and a couple other things, I'll drive it, and let you guys know........how do I tell if I have the right dipstick or not? I changed the oil not that long ago, and my dipstick has a mount hole, but no bolt to hold it (hole is too low) I was told to put 6 quarts in, so that's what I put, I'd that too much?
~Bryan
67falcon
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 12:55PM
IIRC 5 1/2 qts with the filter, so you should be just a hair above the full mark if you put in 6 qts?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 1:42PM
Is it bad if I went over?
~Bryan
67falcon
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 1:52PM
a little bit, no, several qts- yes. years ago my dad got a car gave to him, i went to drive it home, long story short, the kid wanted his mom to buy him a new car so he put 10 qts in that datsun b210 they said it smokes bad, seemed fine at first, waiting at the long light in town, after what seemed like 10 mins at the light i took off in traffic OMFG it smoked out the whole block LOLLOLLOLLOL got it home the next day my dad checked the oil it was way overfull, he drained it and put the 4 required qts back in and it ran awesome! basically the crank was dipping into the oil and flooding the cylinder walls with oil causing the smoke LOLLOLLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 1:58PM
Haha, smart kid, I guess (in his favor) as for the moms wallet and the cars sake, that's a no go!
~Bryan
67falcon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 2:14PM
Too much oil will cause frothing, seals leaking, loss of oil pressure, then "Screechhhhh thud". However, a quart over is not awful, but I would get it to normal level asap. SBF with stock pan and reg filter takes 5 quarts. But, 5.5 is correct for some to reach full for reasons unknown.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 2:16PM
Again, 6 quarts won't kill it, lol.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2014 at 2:23PM
Well the motor doesn't leak, and it doesn't smoke, so I think it will be ok, but eventually (before I start putting actual miles on it) I'm going to change the oil and see what's going on, but as of now, I don't think the antifreeze is mixing.the oil was a nice brownish black color.
~Bryan
67falcon
 Post Reply Post Reply