The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: seats
    Posted: 21-March-2014 at 4:14AM
Anyone know what year seat have the same bolt pattern as a 73 torino?
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 4:58AM
It would depend on if the '73 torino has a front bench seat or front bucket seats...
The torino's with a front bench seat are bolted/fastened to the floors using four bolts.
The torino's with front bucket seats are bolted/fastened to the floors with eight bolts.

I am have seen many people who have removed the front bench seat and installed front bucket seats into their torinos, so the four extra bolt holes in the floors are probably there already, (to convert a front bench seat into front bucket seats).

With that being said, any seats from any 1972 through 1976 Torino, montego and ranchero will fit.
And any seat from any 1974 through 1976 cougar or elite will fit.
And any seat from any 1977 through 1979 cougar, thunderbird, ranchero and LTD II will fit.

However, the front bench seats from any four door vehicles listed above do not move/recline forward like the two door vehicle's front seats.

When you have to exit the back seat of a two door car, you would lift the latch/handle to recline/move the top of the front seat forward, but the four door front bench seats do not have that latch/handle, they are non-movable.

So if you install a front bench seat from a four door car into a two door car, you will not be able to move/recline the top half of the front bench seat forward to exit the rear seats, you would have to climb over the front seats to exit the vehicle.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 5:29AM
Notice how this seat moves/reclines forward to allow the passenger in the back seat to exit the vehicle. The seats from the four door cars that i listed above do not recline/move forward like this one.
The seat frames do move forward and rearward along the floor of the car though.
73torino gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 5:47AM
I have high back buckets right now and they cost two much to replace foam and upholstery so looking for a replacement set.
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 6:37AM
The high back bucket seats were available (for two years only) in 1972 and 1973 torino, gran torino, montego and ranchero.
Then starting in 1974 (and all the way through to the 1979 model year) they used low back bucket seats with head rests.

Edited by dave302 - 21-March-2014 at 6:38AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 7:13AM
Here are two pictures of a low back bucket seat with headrest, in a 1974 gran torino.

kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 8:51AM
how bad are your seats 73torino gt?
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 9:32AM
The foam is shot but the vinyl is ok,I need something that reclines due to a bad back.if I could do the work and get the parts cheap it'd think about it. Not an option right now.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2014 at 2:34PM
if your car has a bench seat there are dimples in the metal brace on the floor pan where the buckets would bolt to, at least that's how my 74 is, i used '90 corvette buckets in mine and the stud and dimples were perfect for those seats for the front mounting holes, i had to weld a short 3/8"bolt where the dimple is worked perfect so far.  the vinyl is usually attached with "hog rings" to the seat frame you could remove the vinyl and replace the foam then reattach the vinyl, you can usually buy the hog rings and pliers for a few bucks at a local farm supply store
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2014 at 2:53AM
Ok thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2014 at 3:03AM
Do you know where I could get new foam for a 73 torino with high back bucket seats.didn't see any on Dearborn site.
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2016 at 10:26AM
Has anybody ever tried seats from 1972 -1976 Thunderbird or Lincoln Mark into a torino?  The cars look wider, but specs show that they are within a half inch in width of a Torino.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2016 at 2:29PM
The mid to late 90's explorer buckets look right at home in these cars.
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2016 at 2:33PM
Yeah, but the Marks and Thunderbirds of those years are sitting on the same chassis.
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2016 at 2:53PM
oh very true, but whens the last time you saw one of those cars and then it have good seats? I'd hate to make the swap to one of those power seats, get it upholstered and then have the power track go out.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2016 at 3:41AM
72-76 T-bird/Mark IV seats bolt right in...
But as stated, good sources are hard to find..
If you do find a set with buckets, they have a console that looks different but will also fit.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2016 at 9:49AM
If the foam is not real bad,falling apart,You can steam it back to org. shape.I tried it on my mothers chair and it worked
 Post Reply Post Reply