The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low spark issue?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low spark issue?!?
    Posted: 14-April-2014 at 2:50PM
Ok, I found out I have a low spark problem on the falcon. I had about 15.5 volts going into the solenoid when running and the pos. side of the coil is hooked to the right post on the solenoid (the post closest to the starter side) and there is only about 10 volts coming out of that! We took a spark plug and put it into one of the wires while it was running, and it put out a very small little yellow spark, and some times it looked like it didn't spark! We did the same thing to my buds galaxie and it was a blue purple and the spark would jump like two inches to the hood hinge!! Can anyone give any advice, or maybe tell me what might be wrong?....... I'm tired of dealing with this car running rough!!!
~Bryan
72 gts h-code (formal roof)
67falcon
04 f250 ''the great white''
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 3:42PM
There is a resistance wire for the ignition system that comes from the ignition switch and goes to the coil, it reduces nominal 12v (12-14.5V) to 7-9v so you won't burn up or overheat Ford's ignition components. Sounds like you have weak spark for sure, could the coil's wiring could be reversed (car will still run, just not good though, also will cause the weak spark output). Just a thought. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 3:49PM
Thanks, but how could the wiring be reversed? My friend said that you should be getting at least 14 volts to the coil, is that true?
~Bryan
67falcon
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 4:19PM
Ford's ignition coil require only 7-9 volts to obtain full output, if you feed it 12+ volts the coil will overheat. If you look at the coil there is a bat terminal and a dist. terminal, if these wires are reversed low spark output will result. This is assuming you are using a point style ignition, the later Duraspark horseshoe coil connector is almost a fool proof type of connection. If you have or are using a Duraspark ignition in place of points, you shouldn't have 12v at the coil while running(you should see full 12v at the BAT terminal when the key is in the start position only). You should still see 7-9v while engine running(or key in the run position), if you have 12v at the coil while running the coil will overheat and the Duraspark module will work erratically and/or shut down due to overheating. Please give some details, with pics if possible. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 14-April-2014 at 4:20PM

Grantorinosport351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grantorinosport351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 4:23PM
Sorry I didn't put in a lot of detail, I'm running a msd electronic ignition with a blaster 2 coil. I'll try to get pics when I can, but the car is still at my buds house.
~Bryan
67falcon
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 4:38PM
I tried an MSD Blaster 2F coil with my factory Duraspark ignition, the coils spark output energy sucked big time(yellow spark with plug gapped at .030"). I installed a Jacobs ignition with a Jacobs Ultra coil, the spark output was at least 3 times that of the MSD coil and I was able to open the plug gap to .045"(probably could have went to .060" with the output I saw). The Jacobs crapped out finally(had it 15 years) and then I installed a Crane HI-6 with an LX-92 coil, if you pull a plug wire off and the ignition "bites" you, you will piss your pants and forget your name for a moment or two. Try a different coil, and wire it by the coil manufacturers recommendations. The 2F was a direct replacement(albeit a sorry, lower performing coil compared to a factory Duraspark coil) so the horseshoe connector fit it. Good luck. Todd

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 5:41PM
todd is right, it sounds like your coil, that's probably your popping problem you had earlier , disconnect the pos. wire from the coil and turn the key to the run position, and see exactily how much voltage you have there? should be about 8 volts +/- if you have like 6 your problem may be in the resistance wire?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2014 at 9:41PM
Also make sure that you have an external resistor coil. If you have an internal resister coil like your buddy, it will not work with low voltage.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply