The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speedometer cable noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedometer cable noise
    Posted: 28-April-2014 at 1:30AM
I'm getting a speedo cable 'gear-like' noise and a bouncey needle at around 30mph in my '73 Gran Torino.  I think a shot of white lithium grease would do the trick but I can't seem to get the cable off of the back of the gauge. 
How does that cable clip work?  I can get my hand & fingers on it but can't find the trick to get it to release -- and I'm very reluctant to put to much force on it.  Anyone have experience doing this without pulling the dashpad and cluster out?  Thanks!!
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2014 at 4:49AM
White lithium grease gets dried out and crusty in about a year, I Used slick 50. If I recall the speedo clip has to be pushed towards the speedo first then remove the cable, But don't quote me on that, I ruined 2 of them already removing them.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2014 at 7:55AM
Also check the speedo gear that gets inserted into the transmission. If the plastic gear(s) are worn(drive and/or driven gears), the speedo needle will jump like you described. Good luck, Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
 Post Reply Post Reply