The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overdrive Tranny?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overdrive Tranny?
    Posted: 06-July-2007 at 2:57PM
Is anyone running an AOD in thier car? I'm about ready to set my motor and tranny but I want to replace my C6 with an E4OD behind the 460. Let me know what you guys think. I have a 9" Trac-Loc and want to replace the gears with 4:10's. I'm figuring this would make a good all around combo for the "around town" and the "long highway trips". Just looking for opinions and thoughts.           Ron
MontegoMan351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontegoMan351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2007 at 4:05PM
I'm running a Wide Ratio AOD in my car.  I love it.  The E4OD, however, as my memory serves me:D, is a computer controled trans, right?  Are you going to run a control box?
1973 Montego MX, 351 Cleveland 2v SEFI, '88 LSC EFI harn. and Fuel rails, Adj. Fuel Pres. Reg., A9L Mustang Computer, 76 mm Mass Air Housing. W/R AOD, Lock Right Locker, Electric Fan. 3G Alternator.
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2007 at 3:13AM
   Yes it is computer controlled and very heavy! Might want to consider a gear vendors overdrive unit that bolts up to the C-6 and then you would have a six speed auto! Gary
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2007 at 7:37AM
Depending on what you want to spend, in the long rin, I would think either way you will have some weight involved...a C6 with the GV unit would be a good combo, and liable to last a LONG time.
The 460 overdrive unit may be another good option, but I am not framiliar enough with the history to know their reliabilty...I would tend to lean to the GV from the point of the C6 is a dead-nuts basic trans that doesn't take a rocket scientist to work on.  But then again, what are you looking at dollar wise for the 460 overdirve unit with PCM?
Is the unit a standalone unit, or does it require alot of sensors?  I don't know on those, are they like the old AOD units with a kickdown rod or cable, or it is all sensor operated? 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2007 at 12:11PM
It will need a control box but from what I've read it's another plug and play set up. The E4OD is used as the "replacement" C6 as being used specifically for heavy duty use in trucks and the E series Vans.  I only want to do it once so this is why I'm looking at this combo. I shouldn't have to worry about becoming to much for the tranny no matter how I prep the engine.  $ wise it all seems about the same. The GV unit I'm concerened about clearances under the floor and to the ground. I thought that the E4OD would be the better choice for those 2 reasons alone.     Ron
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2007 at 3:12PM
  I dont have mucle car expereince but i do know my ford WORK TRUCKS.  ive been running f-250s for 25 years in the masonry and sitework end of home building.  The e40d cant take a lot of tourqe!! A straight c-6 is what my tranny guys have given me after my e40ds *#!* the bed. with a new drve shaft.  Im not a know it all but I know that after I get a c-6 Ill never have to pull the e40d out again. 
steve.

Post Reply Post Reply