The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vapor lock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vapor lock?
    Posted: 24-August-2014 at 5:54PM
Anyone run into their car just shutting down on them in hot weather?
I had the GTS out and the old dude was hustling down the freeway, I get off then boom nothing.
I popped the hood, and pulled the air cleaner, and I had one heck of a venting off the carb vents on the edelbrock. It was pretty warm today but just surprised.

I had issues earlier with it seeming like it was starting hard and loaded up a bit.

I let sit on the shoulder of the offramp for 5-10 minutes, put the clutch in and boom fired up with my foot to the floor...driving home it was giving me a couple indicators it was doing this again but I limped her home and no further issues.
Bit puzzled but assumed just hot out and that's why.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
bata747-8 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Honorary Spam Bot / Zombie Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bata747-8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2014 at 6:12PM
The 521 did it a couple of times in the driveway idling before I really started driving it. The idle times were like 30 minutes or more.

One other time it started running rough. Seattle traffic, I-405, rush hour. Getting through bellevue going southbound can be near impossible. It was a Thursday (busy day, many people's Friday) and I was coming back from Snohomish where I got the exhaust installed (Airport Welding and Muffler). From exit 14 (hwy 520) to south of I-90 (exit 10) it took an hour. Yes, four miles, almost one hour and no accidents or other blockages.

It was very warm (85-ish) so toward the end it was running rough. That was with the old electric fan 2000 cfm) and the new one (3000 cfm) I think would do a little better.
Forum Test Account

(formerly a spam bot account)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2014 at 7:09PM
you might try one of these: i've bought several for my cars, seems to have helped with that problem! basically it helps to isolate some of the heat soak from the intake to the carb! for ten bucks it 's worth a try Thumbs Up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-PORTED-PHENOLIC-CARBURETOR-SPACER-4BBL-FITS-HOLLEY-SB-CHEVY-FORD-SBC-BBC-BB-/180915455947?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1f66c7cb&vxp=mtr
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2014 at 7:59PM
Happened to me last year when I had the car dynoed. Since then, it's been fine. But I don't think I've driven it on a hot day like that either. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2014 at 1:25AM
Andy,
 I know what you are dealing with Ouch. With living in central Fl. and/or todays fuel quality had a lot to do with the vapor lock issues I was experiencing. I firmly believe that todays fuel will boil more readily when introduced to a vacuum system, especially when heat is involved(I once tried non-ethanol fuel, it made a big difference in vapor lock issues and in my wideband AFR readings). Having a mechanical fuel pump magnifies this, the fuel pump itself gets hot just from being mounted on the engine and the fuel receives additional heat just by introducing it to a vacuum situation(fuel being pulled to the engine). I tried an Edelbrock 1726 FP since I was running out of fuel when at operating temp and/or WOT, no help. I have done a myriad of things to finally solve my vapor lock issues. The biggest helpers were a "valley pan" gasket with blocked heat crossovers(reduced boiling fuel in carb fuel bowls), removing the mechanical fuel pump and installing a Carter P4600HP electric fuel pump near the tank and installing an orifice regulated fuel return back to tank to keep the fuel pump from "dead heading" at the carb. These, along with a couple other things, helped in totally eliminating my vapor lock issues for good. Hope this helps. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2014 at 2:34AM
Carry along a bunch of wooden clothes pins for an emergency fix. Clamp them along the line leading to the carb - the wooden clips absorb the heat and cool the line enough to help with vapor lock. Not a permanent cure by any means, but will help in a pinch.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2014 at 4:34AM
To what californiajohnny says - yes get a spacer. Normally a 1/2 inch spacer will fit under our hoods with no problem. I used Edelbrock's 8722 (wood fiber laminate):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-8722

I think it helps - I know that 521 runs warm and there is a ton of heat to dissipate.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2014 at 9:43AM
On my car I got rid of the steel line and went Parker pushlok hose.
I've read stuff on the gas. I tend to only run shell 91 because the station I go to has two pumps with dedicated nozzles. Hate regular gas stations with all three grades on a single nozzle.

Keep in mind I'm running a 4" tall air filter on a circle track spun air filter so I'll probably need to drop down to a shorter filter if I get a phenolic spacer.

It started right up last night fine idled normal too.
I was just surprised at the vapors steaming out the vents on the top of the carb!

Edited by Eliteman76 - 25-August-2014 at 9:43AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2014 at 9:57AM
Try ethanol-free gas.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2014 at 11:32AM
yes today's fuel is blended for pressurized injection systems, definitely not optimized for carbs, also to make things worse could you have winter blend still in the tank
first warm day of the season my 2003 CVPI always acts up, won't hold idle & I have to 2-foot it
this year I had just filled up on a chilly day & it went to like mid 80's the next time I drove it
return bypass regulator is a good idea... old school using the stock mechanical pump they just created an orifice return in front of the carb to keep a supply of cool fuel in the line in front of the carb

Edited by Rockatansky - 25-August-2014 at 11:36AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply