The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sports Gauge Faceplate in woodgrain?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sports Gauge Faceplate in woodgrain?
    Posted: 05-November-2014 at 7:02AM
Here's how my cluster looks now.  Notice the woodgrain.

Eventually, I'd like to install a full set of newer gauges in my Montego wagon, using a Sports Gauge faceplate.  Is there a sports gauge face plate out there that will match my woodgrain?  Or, am I limited to black and the funky holographic pattern pictured below.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2014 at 7:31AM
Elites had the sport cluster with wood grain. What you have pictured above is from a Sport. My 75 Sport has that exact same "early graphite" design.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2014 at 8:16AM
Awesome.  That's what I need to know.  Now, to find me an Elite cluster faceplate.
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2014 at 8:28AM
Jeff, my old wood grain dash cluster in my wagon actually was a metal piece that could be removed from the plastic housing via small tabs on the back. If you are a DIY'r maybe some of the vinyl wraps below could spruce up the new one.
http://www.topvinylfilms.com/wood-grain-wrap-vinyl/   
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2014 at 8:32AM
Thanks for the link Carlos.  I did think of that, but not sure how well it might match the rest of my woodgrain. 
I found a completed ebay auction.  Supposedly this came out of a '75 Cougar XR7.

Edited by n2fordwagons - 05-November-2014 at 8:33AM
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2014 at 8:41AM
I know that at least some Cougars had the padded bezel.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2014 at 9:11AM
Jeff, all Sport clusters built after 1974 had the "Unleaded Fuel Only" designation. That looks like the set of gauges I have from my '75 XR7. It had the padded cluster coverplate, though. I think all '74 and '75 XR7's had that padded setup. However, they all (from 1972 - 1976, maybe even 1977 to 1979) had the same spacing between gauges and used the same basic housing, so any year cover will work. The most important part is getting the right cluster year as your car for wiring purposes.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2014 at 10:42AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Jeff, all Sport clusters built after 1974 had the "Unleaded Fuel Only" designation. That looks like the set of gauges I have from my '75 XR7. It had the padded cluster coverplate, though. I think all '74 and '75 XR7's had that padded setup. However, they all (from 1972 - 1976, maybe even 1977 to 1979) had the same spacing between gauges and used the same basic housing, so any year cover will work. The most important part is getting the right cluster year as your car for wiring purposes.

Joe, I was thinking of getting a set of aftermarket gauges, and somehow installing them behind a sport gauge faceplate.  I have no idea how or if it will work.  Or, if the aftermarket gauges would be the correct diameter.  You were looking at some gauges while we were at Louisville.  Is that what you were thinking of doing?
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2014 at 1:49AM
Yep. If you'd like, I can write up a detailed explanation of what we talked about last night - in case other members are interested in doing the same thing.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2014 at 2:29AM

Yep. If you'd like, I can write up a detailed explanation of what we talked about last night - in case other members are interested in doing the same thing.

That would be awesome!!  Smile
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2014 at 5:18AM
Yes, all 74-76 XR7's had the padded trim.  As mentioned, the woodgrain was Elite.
Mike
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2014 at 11:59AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

That would be awesome!!  Smile

YES PLEASE!!!
I want to put aftermarket in the Rally car!
Maybe just doing it as a custom cut face plate without using the actual face plate.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2014 at 11:35PM
Not to be a spoil sport, but the wood grain pattern on the ltd2 is different than the caugar and tbird.At least on the ones I have seen.The merc has a more pronounced pattern.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2014 at 1:00AM
There are at least 4 different types/species of wood grain used in mid-late 70's intermediates. I have a small collection of GT gauge surrounds as well as the trim pieces that house the A/C vents that mounts above the glove box.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2014 at 1:31AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

There are at least 4 different types/species of wood grain used in mid-late 70's intermediates. I have a small collection of GT gauge surrounds as well as the trim pieces that house the A/C vents that mounts above the glove box.

Are any for sale?  Any chance you can provide side-by-side comparison pics of what you've got?
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2014 at 4:51AM
  I will try to post pics of the surrounds that I have and a description of their respected condition. Everything I have is for sale...for the right $. Wink  Todd 

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2014 at 8:15AM
OK, I found my surrounds but they are all either padded or GT, I cannot find the wood grain ones other than the one I am currently using. I do have pics of the different "woods" used:
The surrounds I did find.
This shows different part numbers and possible color designations, BB, CB and BA.
This one would be my favorite color, can't find the matching gauge surround, A/C vent trim and/or A/C control panel trim. Notice the last digit is "C"
This is the panel I am using in my Ranchero now.

Just as a "BTW", if you need to touch-up the silver around your gauge cluster or any part of the dash, this works excellent. It is a Silver leafing pen made by Krylon and can be found at most craft/hobby stores.

Sorry not to be of any more help, hopefully the other surrounds will turn up. Todd

Edited by aquartlow - 07-November-2014 at 8:15AM

Post Reply Post Reply