The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Tubular Upper Control Arms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2017 at 11:55PM
Yup...already bought the CVPI springs sitting with my pile of suspension parts waiting for install.  I'll take you advice...try it out first then decide.  I'm holding off finishing the suspension until I'm done painting the car.   

Sorry to derail the thread...back to A-arms.   If anyone buys those Hotchkis A-arms; would like to hear what you think of them...
-John
1973 GTS
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2017 at 2:22PM
If they're still available once I get my payslip I might take the risk
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2017 at 6:07PM
I would think that Hotchkis Galaxy parts bolted on and worked on our cars that they would advertise them as such. Would really increase their sales I'd imagine.
Hoping to be proved wrong, but I can't be the one to finance the experiment though.
Russ
Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2017 at 3:52PM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

The lack of available brake upgrades needs to be sorted first, I'm looking at making brackets up for AP solid callipers onto the stock upright, hopefully, they can just be laser cut in pieces and welded together.....if not I may have to look at machining something on the mill, but that would be the single biggest improvement for these cars IMO 

I have Porsche cayenne 6 pistons up front on a massive (14" I think) rotor. The pads are off the shelf, the rotor is off the shelf, and the caliper is off the shelf. The only thing needed to be made was the bracket. It's all water jetted and welded 4130 steel. I even have rev 2 ready to crank out if I ever feel like it. I have the entire unsprung into CAD but it's buried deep in the depths of my hard drive somewhere at this point. The 6 pots stop like a race car. They can outperform my driving skill by a long shot. I could crank out a few sets of brackets but they would cost $600 a set for just the brackets and hardware. Custom low volume things are expensive especially when engineering time is involved. If I felt like my car needed those upper arms I would pay the $600 in a heartbeat.  What my car needs is someone with time to keep testing and tuning it which I have none of right now. After that, it needs a better driver. 

I think LittleShop did us a huge favor trying to make a few sets to sell at any price.
-Billy Conturo
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2017 at 9:11PM
Question for those who've used these or know something about this.
I'm quoting from Little Shop's instructions
"Please note that there are 2 different lengths on the factory cross-shafts for these cars. The shorter cross-shaft (72 and
early 73) will leave a small amount of thread unused in the end of the nut. It is preferable to use the longer cross-shafts
if possible."

Would using the longer cross shaft on a 72 cause any issues? Would using the stock 72 shaft cause any issues?

Not sure why I am asking, but since I am working again I can't get these arms off of my mind. Might make a good Christmas present. Wink

Thanks,
Russ

Billy C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2017 at 2:27PM
Both cross shafts will bolt to the chassis. The lengths are different for some reason. I don't remember why or in what way. When I switched my pre 73 arms out for later ones I remember the bushing being easier to install with the longer shafts but that's all.
-Billy Conturo
Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2017 at 2:32PM
I did not get any directions with my arms, and I have a 73. I did not notice anything special about using the 73 shafts, they worked fine.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2017 at 3:34PM
IIRC the 72 shafts are shorter and don't leave enough exposed threads for the nuts?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2018 at 11:06AM
Just a quick note here... since I am selling the Ranchero, I swapped the little shop arms over to my Torino and then aligned the car. They weren't kidding...those arms gave me 5-6 degrees of caster. I do a lot of highway driving back and forth to work, so more caster is very welcome. I must say, the car feels much more stable at 70-80 mph, and the biggest difference is it no longer twitches to one side or the other over bumps at speed. 
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2018 at 12:33PM
Nice to hear some good feedback on the arms.   
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2018 at 6:51AM
Thanks, it's great to hear some feedback.  We were able to get somewhere around 4 or 5 degrees of caster with stock arms, so I am assuming these once could go well beyond that if one desired?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
chris5769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris5769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2018 at 6:20AM
Has anyone used the Viking Crusader front coil over/rear shock set?  I have seen these on eBay and they look like they would provide good performance and ride height adjustability.  Thoughts?
Cheers,

Chris

1975 Gran Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2018 at 7:01AM
Very cool....this is the first coil over kit I've seen for the 72+ Torino.

How do they compare with Vari-shok coil overs?
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2018 at 10:11AM
wow that's kind of scary. That setup puts the entire weight of the vehicle on two little half inch lower shock screws....
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2018 at 10:19AM
Yup...have to reinforce the mounting area.   The pure vision torino used stock lower arms; reinforced the mounting area for coil-overs.   There are some pics somewhere on the internet where you can see some of the work they did for reference.     

yup...your right though...definitely need to strengthen up that lower mount
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2018 at 2:45PM

The Pure Vision setup was a little different than this one, but it's nice to see there are more parts on the market for our Torinos.  You can see the rear suspension is totally changed, while the front suspension has the lower part of the coilover mounted not using the shock bolt holes.  You can see the reinforcement they added and the coilover mounts to that.

Here are some pics of the Pure Vision car's suspension:

Edited by 72FordGTS - 02-February-2018 at 2:54PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2018 at 2:39AM
Good pics...I knew the rear was a custom 4 link set up (i believe it was from Art Morrison).

That was helpful for the front lower arm.  They boxed the LCA but I didn't realize that the mount was different from teh stock shock style.   I have seen that you can buy off-the-shelf mounts and brackets.  That may be an option....here is a reference
https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/collections/coilover-shock-tabs

This looks interesting for the rear...
https://www.cachassisworks.com/site_images/58XX/5824-XXX/5824-A10/5824-A10_weld-on_PRKR.jpg

All require some welding and modifications to the mounts and arms.
-John
1973 GTS
chris5769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris5769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2018 at 1:33AM
I did not really pay attention to the mounting point.  Thanks very much for pointing that out.  I am glad I posted the question before pulling the trigger.  That is more work than I want to put into it.  I am going to buy the tubular A arms however.  Based on the feedback I see in the thread, they look to be an effective upgrade
Cheers,

Chris

1975 Gran Torino
chris5769 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris5769 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2018 at 4:51AM
Bought a set of the LittleShop A-arms.  Excited to get them on the car.  I decided not to do the coil over setup and stick with CVPI springs.  Thanks for the input.  This forum is a wealth of info
Cheers,

Chris

1975 Gran Torino
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2018 at 6:31AM
Still waiting to do mine. Having the GTS on stands the last 6 months has not helped things much :(

Side note, Pure Vision has a few things on the GTS about things they did. One specifically was the strut rod was sleeved with DOM tubing to stiffen it up.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
simon455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2018 at 5:44AM
does anyone know where i could find taller upper ball joint for the littleshop a arms?
72 pro touring fastback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2018 at 5:51AM
I got mine from
http://howeracing.com/

I also figured out a way to use Chrysler lowers in our OEM lower arm to use their extended length lowers.  I haven't really decided on what I want to do regarding the geometry changes.   I was looking at Fatman drop spindles and using 1/2 to 1" extended uppers.   If I stick with stock spindles I was thinking of going +1 extended lower balljoints to lower the car.  

I got my uppers from howe....I'm not sure if they have anymore in stock.

-John
1973 GTS
simon455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2018 at 5:58AM
i was eyeing their site, could not see a ford bolt in ball joint? any chance you gotta part number?
Don't belive you need drop spindles, im usning the cvpi front springs with 3/4 of coil cut and car is just 
sitting low enough to cover the top of the tire, mind you its a 275 35 19 on a 9.5' rim in the front, stance is really good...
72 pro touring fastback
JMS48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMS48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2019 at 1:47PM
I would also be very interested. Please keep me in the loop. 

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2019 at 1:48PM
Originally posted by JMS48 JMS48 wrote:

I would also be very interested. Please keep me in the loop. 

You can but the tubular arms here:
Vince

GTS.org Admin
afri-can7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afri-can7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2020 at 1:50PM
Obviously haven't tested the uppers and suspension as not done with build, but her is what they look like on my setup......

When i die.....i know where i'm going!
'73 Gran torino sport formal
'72 Gran Torino Fastback
'06 F150 Supercharged
'79 Chrysler 300
Plmeovr View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plmeovr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2020 at 1:39PM
Are these still available from the shop? I can't find anything anywhere! 2dr 73  gtsq code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2020 at 2:56PM
call littleshop mfg their info is posted on here somewhere...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2020 at 3:00PM
https://www.littleshopmfg.com/contact-us/
 i guess they prefer email, now that i'm thinking about it, i did email them about my A arms they were prompt Thumbs Up

welcome btw!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2020 at 11:56PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>