The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WaveTrac Differential

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WaveTrac Differential
    Posted: 07-January-2015 at 5:54AM
So I did not want to clog up a thread by someone else asking an entirely different question by focusing on the WaveTrac differential he mentioned he would be using on his car.

I did a little research on it. Needing a differential myself in the future (the only thing not addressed in the drivetrain yet as part of the 521/C6 build), I have been looking at several options. Tru-Trac gets some good press, some of the locker variants also (such as PowerTrax) look pretty good.

They all seem to have their pluses and minuses. The PowerTrax, while very nice, seems apt to cause problems in poor traction conditions like a turn in wet or snowy weather.

While this is a Chevrolet and is a dragstrip vehicle, the article has some interesting information in it:

http://www.dragzine.com/project-cars/project-maxstreet/maxstreet-nova-gets-moser-9-inch-and-wavetrac-differential/

So I did a little research on the WaveTrac. It actually looks like it will behave very well in more "pedestrian" situations like daily driving in wet weather or a drive over a snowy mountain pass (for those of you in the East, we have mountains in the West that get really high and have snow in them).

They aren't cheap. Where as most differential carriers will cost you around $500 or so, these are $900-$1000 (I checked Summit pricing).
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2015 at 6:05AM
The unit I'm looking at is a complete nodular 3rd member, at $1835 I think on Summit's page its not too bad really when the Truetrac is $1500

You may get one cheaper going through Moser though as they're the main dealer. 
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2015 at 10:48AM

worm gears.. http://www.wavetrac.net/index.htm

have you scratched Auburn off the list? http://aftermarket.auburngear.com/
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2015 at 11:47AM
Powertrax can be as bad as a "LincolnLoc" in bad weather, but are usually O.K. for a fair-weather cruiser.
BTW, someone was talking about shimming the spiders on another thread, also a fair-weather idea.

Edited by Big Bird - 07-January-2015 at 11:49AM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2015 at 12:06PM
My car will never see a track. It is 98% daily driver, and I'm not sure what the other 2% is, but I am sure it is something important as well. 

So yea, the poor weather traction with a ton of horsepower is a compelling reason to look into a differential such as the WaveTrac. 

Just trying to plan out the rear axle now - like I said it is the last power train component to be addressed on the 235,000 mile car, so with a 521 behind it, renewing (or rather improving) the differential is critical before I have a failure on a long trip to Spokane or something terrible like that.

Then I can start worrying about something else on the car… Like the rust-vented roof, the destroyed driver side seat, the quarter panels, the awful paint, mis-aligned body panels… 

The list goes on.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2015 at 3:21PM
Is that diff, about the same as the Torsen, or a copy of it? I ask because the Gleason/Torsen was the first gear driven diff, and was under $450, but now $900+ seems the new mark. I'll need something like them also for my 9", a 31 spline is the way to go, and for 500+hp too.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2015 at 7:33PM
This seems to be an updated version of it where you don't lose drive in zero conditions due to the wave hubs inside

Comparing this to the TrueTrac and Quaife there isn't a huge amount of difference price wise but these have a lifetime warranty and as an engineer I like the theory behind them
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2015 at 4:09PM
is the Wavelock like a Gleason-Torsen & soft Detroit combined?
72 GT Ute

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2015 at 6:39PM
To an extent, if you look on their page they explain it. Its a case of preloaded wave shaped ramp hubs giving the drive at all times as they produce enough pressure to keep the spiders engaged

The fact it comes as standard with a 1350 yoke and a few other nice touches plus in a 4.86:1 ratio was enough for me. no other diff from Summit comes that high or low

It uses worm gears inside to send even power or split it when needed so in that sense its like the Torsen and it keeps drive even under zero load conditions like a locker but this is done without a clutch pack so theres nothing to wear out
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 2:15AM
Wow, that sounds like the ticket for all-season driving and longevity.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 6:00AM
I've got to service my 98 Mountaineer with the Torsen diff, I installed 104k miles ago. It's been a great unit for snow and all around street use. The higher power levels are not recommended for them though, drag racing especially.

How much power is the limit for the other types, for basic street use, not actual drag racing?

The gear type diffs are very heavy, get a hold of one if you get a chance. It's a huge chunk of steel, no air gaps really.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 7:14AM
Apparently the limit on this one is as much as you can throw at it! 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2015 at 10:57AM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

Apparently the limit on this one is as much as you can throw at it! 

It's a 9", that is worth a lot versus the 8.8's I read so much more about.
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply