The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unilug wheels - which lug nuts to use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unilug wheels - which lug nuts to use?
    Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:21AM

My "new" Western wheels are unilug.  I've done some reading, and know that you can get offset (or center) hole washers (depending on the desired lug pattern) with shank lug nuts.  The offset washer fits in the recessed countersunk area around the lug hole.  Well, on my "new" wheels, the area around the hole is not recessed or countersunk.  It's flat, along with the rest of the wheel surface.  Any idea what I need to use?

I'm thinking I'll get some hubcentric rings to ensure that the wheels are centered on the hubs, then use standard shank lug nuts.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 4:00AM
Found a post on HAMB where someone stated that American and Western brand had unilug, oval holes with a flat (non-recessed) surface for the washers.  They said to use shank lug nuts with THICK washers.  I'm also gonna throw on some hub-centric rings for added security. 

Unless anyone has other suggestions....
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
NwOh_Starsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 4:48AM
My Uni-lugs have the recess for the washers, but yes I am running the shank style lug nuts.  No issues here.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 9:27AM
Look at the back of the wheels. some of the uni-lug wheels use an adapter that plugs into the back of the wheel and has the car-specific lug pattern.
The Adapter will look something like the base for bolt-patten adapters, with one set of holes,
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 10:44AM
My E-T 5 spoke wheels I originally had on my '76 were unilug. I never had an issue (other than the blasted occasional 2a.m. flat tire and the really trying issue of being buzzed and making sure the oval spacers stayed in place while getting the lug nuts on and tight. Then, as the wheels aged and the corrosion set in, you would get tiny cuts from the flaking chrome in the recesses trying to fit the spacers in place.

Wait, that really did suck...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 2:03PM
Uni-Lug or not with the recess or the flat... just use the  stuff off the shelf at O'Reilly's.
They are Dorman Shank Style 1/2x20 Lug nuts.
They come in a package of 4 with thick flat round washers.

Torque them down and then carry a 4-way with you for the first few days. Check them at least once a day until they do not tighten anymore, that makes sure they are tight and will not come loose.

I have used them on specific size mags with no recessed grooves, Uni-Lugs with and with out recessed slots.

Edited by Regul8r - 11-May-2015 at 2:06PM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 3:48PM
 most mags use this style lug nut :
                                            20 LUG NUTS 1/2" CHROME MAG SHANK CRAGAR LH & RH THREAD

e.t.'s and keystones with the oval off set insert, use a special type nut and insert ( if the insert has an angled seat... you need the short shank with the angled seat... never use regular nuts with those type wheels, as the stock type nuts don't catch enough thread to hold properly!):
Detroit-Wheels-5392K-ET-Mag-Lug-Nut-Lock-Kit

Edited by californiajohnny - 11-May-2015 at 3:49PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
NwOh_Starsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 12:05AM
The first ones that  Johnny posted are the exact ones I am running.
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 12:16AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

most mags use this style lug nut :
                                            20 LUG NUTS 1/2" CHROME MAG SHANK CRAGAR LH & RH THREAD

Thanks guys.  I've been watching an ebay listing for the ones pictured.  Guess I'll go ahead and pull the trigger!
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
bdaugette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdaugette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2015 at 1:20AM
The Lug Nut Guys are the ones I put on my Cragar's..

Bill Daugette
72 GTS 351C 4V
 Post Reply Post Reply