The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shop vac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shop vac
    Posted: 08-April-2017 at 5:17PM
ok my shop vac sucks! well actually it don't that's the issue! it's a shop vac brand from walmart Confused
 who has what brand and model? what works the best?? what do you guys recommend and why?how well does it suck for cleaning carpet???i was considering a ridgid brand from home depot years ago...
so who recommends what?....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 1:40AM
CJ,
 Go with the Rigid from Home Depot, just don't buy one of those "price buster" models, they seem to have more motor issues. I have burned up 3 Shop Vacs with the same HP rating and volume and still use my much older Rigid. I have heard good reviews of the Rigid stainless wet/dry vacuum, but since I am in the construction field the stainless would probably get dented pretty fast and look like crap(imagine doing hammer and dolly work on a vacuum Wacko to make it look good again) I just use the nylon/plastic vacs. Not sure what size you would need, but anything near/over 9 gallon and with 5 hp should handle any job, some even can use bags but I never do, just get a good filter I use this one:
(heck I have cleaned my filter out with compressed air 30+ times due to drywall compound dust and still works great).  Sometimes the filter is almost half the cost the wet/dry vac. Good luck with your choices. Sorry for the long reply.   

BTW, if you have a lot of dirt embedded in the carpet(my truck's carpet sometimes gets loaded), use a wire brush(almost like a welding wire brush) to bring the embedded dirt to the surface and makes it much easier/quicker to clean the carpet.

Edited by aquartlow - 09-April-2017 at 1:45AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 1:43AM
I have a Rigid.  I love it.  I wanted something that had a lot of power but the collection side wasn't huge.  I'm not sure if they still make it, but Rigid had one that can hund on the wall.  It has the same motor as their 30 gal model, but only has a 5 gal collection.  No wheels, because it is designed to hang on the wall, but I'd buy another in a heartbeat if mine fails.  Bought it 5-7 years ago
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 1:46AM
This is the one I have.  I'd buy another tomorrow if it fails
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Stor-N-Go-5-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD5500/100377372
Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 3:38AM
I'm gonna say "Ridgid" as well. Use them at work and they survive the (ab)use we give them very well.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 6:05AM
I am with the others, Ridgid all the way.  I have had one for years and it's by far the best shop vac I have ever owned. Make sure you get one of their higher end models with the 6 or 6.5 hp motor.  They seem to be worth the extra cost for a better quality product.  I was going to by the 16 gallon 6.5hp motor model with the plastic case, but they were sold out when I went in.  So they gave be the stainless one for the same price as per the store policy.  This is the one I have:

You can get the same one with the plastic case for cheaper price.  Honestly the stainless is nice, but I wouldn't have paid extra for it.  My buddy has the plastic case 6.5 hp 16 gallon and it's just as good as mine.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 4:11PM
i JUST bought the stainless one! plastic version was the same price...so might as well have some bling WinkBig smile damn thing better work good!!! it wasn't cheapOuch
 i'm going to go try it out in a few Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2017 at 5:59PM
Clap oh hell yeah!!! this thing works!!! Thumbs Up Big smile
16 gallon 6.5 peak stainless steel wet dry vacuum shop vac cleaner house carpet
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2017 at 9:50AM
That mo'fo REALLY sucks don't it LOL. Glad to hear you bought a Rigid, now you have no excuse for not getting right onto vacuuming ALL your cars Wink.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2017 at 2:14PM
hell yeah, that thing could suck start a harleyLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2017 at 5:28AM
Glad to see you're happy with your ridged. I see no one mentioned Craftsman. That's what I have and it sucks in not the good way. Actually it works fine but the short, hard plastic hose is a PITA. The vac is always going off in a different direction from the way I want to go. There's also no good way to store the hose when it's not in use.

So, how's the hose on the Ridgid?

Also no offense but do you have 8 vehicles and a wife?

Don
 Post Reply Post Reply