The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

76 S&H RESTO PAINT PICS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 5:58AM
I recall a deal on the news years back about R12 coming out of mexico, with propane in it.
They did a story on it because some older guy had his AC recharged but there was a slight leak of freon on the dash condensor and it leaked into the interior slowly. Guy was driving, about 15 minutes into his drive he lit a cig and BOOM, I recall the deal because it was a fairmont wagon and I was like DAMN...he lived but messed him up a bit, blew out a couple of the windows.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 6:36AM
My  79 F100 was converted to R134a years ago, it worked great with no issues.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 12:46PM
Danny,the product I purchased is called autofrost,it's not the freeze-12.On the can it says non flammable,but I'll look at it more closely.I have more to add about the topic,the shop done the street,the owner is buying pretty much all my tools and I mentioned to him I needed my a/c charged.He said he still has 7-8lbs of real R-12 and all the necessary stuff including a vacuum pump to vac the system down.I'm going to see what he has next week and monday I'm pickng up the oil for the compressor.Stay tuned...
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2009 at 5:56AM
I got the car out last night to go down to the local hangout.Met up with one of my mustang buddies,but him and I were about it for cars there,just a bunch off youngkids and thier rice burners.The headlights in my car are really outstanding,very bright on low beam and the high beams shoot down the road like forever,very nice.I do have a continuous vibration coming from the back of car.Going to look into it this week.Going to flip driveshaft 180 degrees in the yoke as this is an old trick in these older cars,don't ask me why but it does work.Also going to recheck tire balance as I had to use a lot of weight on the rears.End of week I'm going to borrow my friends mustang wheels for the rear and bolt them on first and go for a ride.Also cruise is not activating,so I have to diagnose that also.Other than the vibe,the car drives really well.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 2:14PM
Well,I decided tp go with 134A for a couple reasons after speaking with the guy who was going to do my a/c lines.He said with the size of the compressor and large condenser,I shouldn't have any problems with efficency and also it is the mainstream refrigerant and it is easily serviced.The cans I bought will be returned on thursday.I have an appointment at 12:30pm wed to get it charged as long as the rain holds off,it supposed to be dry wed,wish me luck!
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 3:59PM
Made it to the a/c shop this afternoon and after vaccuming the system down for an hour,he filled it up and I have COLD AIR!!It's very nice.One problem,it's always something isn't it?The compressor was not cycling quick enough,it should cycle on and off about every 30 seconds,mine was like minutes and the high and low side pressures were not equalizing either.Long story short,he said you need a new expansion valve.I told him order me one and the last week of may I'll be out of my shop and I can come by that week and we can install it.It was sweet to have cold air blowing!Wink
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 3:49AM
Sounds like you made GREAT progress on it all.  A/C...must be nice, LOL!!! 
BTW, where did you source your A/C hoses?
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 6:04AM
Keep in mind, from what I have been told, it is not a one-for-one replacement for the conversion of 12 to 134. I was expressly told the 134 expands differently from 12, and 134 is acutally less of an amount needed. I want to say 70%, but check with the AC guy as that's his profession. I'm just a part time wrech now.
Always something though, ain't it?!?

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 1:29PM
Chris,I wound up using my originals for now,just wanted to get it done and time is running down on my move.We'll see in a couple weeks if there is any leakdown.Andy,yes he wound up putting in like 70-75% 134.I did fix the cruise,I had the vacuum lines backwards on the can,didn't realize that's a check valve in their!I just have to adjust the chain a little on the throttle body.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2009 at 5:30PM
Well hears something that doesn't happen very often,I took my car back to the painter today so he can do some touch up and a little more buffing and I was about a mile from him on a one lane each direction road and I see this orange car coming at me,it was a dukes of hazzard charger!!What are the odds of that,kinda like making a royal flush in poker,about 650,000 to 1.Ha,yeee haw!Wink
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 8:42AM
Back in 1980, I had a '69 Charger I had done up like the General Lee, at the same time my brother had a S&H replica...It was funny having both cars parked in the driveway, people would slow down and stare...We called our place "the house with the cars of the stars". My mom got a kick out of taking the General Lee to town to get groceries..(no the doors weren't welded shut so she didnt have to crawl through the window) My brother sold his Torino when he entered the Army and I sold the General Lee to pay for college...About 5 yrs ago I tried tracking the Charge down in order to try and buy it back...Through a very odd coincidence, I learned it was involved in a wreck in upper Michigan and the driver was killed. I got ahold of the state patrol and got a copy of the report and pictures of the car. (which is always done on a fatality) It was my car all right. VIN# on the report matched my old car. It was torn in two pieces. General Lee vs semi, and the General lost...I was bummed..Cry...Thats when I decided to go the S&H Torino route myself...Smile....
Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 1:02PM
Cool story,not so much the crash and kill.How's your car coming?update the forum on your blog.
j-p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2009 at 7:36PM
Originally posted by starsky76 starsky76 wrote:

Thats huggy signing his action figure for me!Wink

superbe photo et quelle chanceCry
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2009 at 12:37PM
Thanks jp.I picked up the car last night from the painter.He did all the touch up work and also rebuffed the whole car.There were some silver specks on top of the car on the horizontal surfaces,probably from me spray touching up the chassis.He got it all out,so now this week I'm going to wash it for the first time,then clay bar it and then use some griot's paint sealant on it.I worked on my vibration problem today.Pulled the third member and checked runout of diff,it was .003 thousandths,within the .004 tolerance.Wear pattern on ring gear looked good,maybe a hair to high,so I shimmed it .003 less to get it a little deeper in the ring gear.The diff looked good,the right axle bearing is tighter than the left one.They are sealed bearings and it looks like the rubber seal part is pushing out,with a little grease coming out.I ordered a new one and will swap it out on tuesday along with swapping the valvebody.I did check the rear wheel balance again,the left tire was 1/2 oz off,so I redid it.On the way home the vibe was still kinda there,so hopefully the bearing fixes that.Other than that it drives and runs great,2 weeks from monday I'll be off on my journey to vegas.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 12:48PM
Getting close to crunch time,10 days till I hit the road.I have a new TCI valvebody coming as I've given up on the crappy stock ones with thier mushy shifting.I still have the vibration.I just actually got off the phone with a 9 inch expert and he mentioned a couple things I totally forgot about ford diffs.Ford used a 3.5 and a 4.5 inch long rear yoke on the 9 inch rear.I may have the shorter one and this is causing the driveshaft to stick out to much of the rear of the trans and not being in the tailshaft bushing enough causing the vibe at higher speeds.Also my u-joint may also be the culprit as their's two different cup sizes,1 1/8" and 1 /16".If the smaller cup is in the larger 1 /18" cup hole,this can also cause a vibe.Ford did use the 2 size u-joints in their cars as I had this in my 67 stang.So I have a couple things to check in the morning,while I await the valvebody coming around noon.Ford always makes it difficult,lol.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 4:52PM
The TCI valvebody works great,so that issue is solved,nice firm shifts in all gears.I have the longer yoke on the rear as well as the right u-joints.The driveshaft may be the problem as it seems about an inch to short.I have 1.5 inches of yoke exposed and you can wiggle it up and down some.If you push it in so only 1/2" is exposed it's nice and snug with no wiggle.The C-4 tailshaft must be 1 inch longer,I'll verify it as it's in my garage.A freind of mine knows a driveshaft company in florida that can make a new one for me pretty quick.I'm calling them tuesday and see if I can get one by friday.Wish me luck!
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 4:32PM
My a/c guy has a new expansion valve in,so were installing that friday morning.I also have a new driveshaft coming late friday and will install it saturday.I'm out of my shop as of today,so now I have to go back to old school and use a floor jack and stands,having a shop spoils the hell out of you!lol
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 10:34PM
Yeah, Ralph.  We could all use a shop!  BTW, Starsky & Hutch (the movie) was on last night, and of course I thought of your car.  What's the .1% you have got left to finish the car?

GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 12:40PM
R - call me regarding next week.....
also - what year 460 engines will these manifolds fit???
Left side   D5VE-9431-AB
Right        D5VE-9430-BA

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 3:18PM
Chris,the .1% is just for the a/c expansion valve being done friday and the new driveshaft I'm putting on saturday.Then I can say its 100% done!
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2009 at 5:18AM
100 is a nice round number. Can't wait to see you hit it! Also can't wait for more pictures!!!
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
JonsTorinoSport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonsTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2009 at 7:44AM
Hey everyone, I got to meet Ralph when he came through Pittsburgh!!!  The Torino looks amazing and he was proud to say it was 100% done!  He is slowly but surely making his way across the country.  
When the road is your world, there's nothing like going fast!
-The Clarks
351BBGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351BBGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2009 at 5:09PM
he should be coming through my town tomorrow actually. can't wait to see it
'73 Gran Torino Sport "H" Code
Out with the Cleveland, In with the Windsor
Cleveland build in the near future
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2009 at 5:49AM

"Captain Dobey calling Starsky76!!....Captain Dobey calling Starsky76!!....where are you Starsky76??"
Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2009 at 9:21AM
Hey, Ralphy-boy!  This is your internet calling!  Where are you, did Vegas swallow you whole? LOL 
~Chris

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2011 at 5:18PM
moved to project page for historical data
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2011 at 2:20AM
I wanna say Ralph's S & H was just up for sale on Ebay...I wonder what happened or why he is selling. I really enjoyed his build. Well I just went looking for it and it's not there anymore. Confused

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2011 at 5:12AM
I was right! It sold today for $22, 500.

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2011 at 6:20AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

moved to project page for historical data

Carl - thank you. This is a great thread, Ralph put a great deal of work into restoring that car, and also with documenting his work meticulously here on GranTorinoSport.org.

Hope everything is OK with Ralph. I saw that his car sold this morning on ebay.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Karsten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2023 at 11:43PM
Hello everyone,

I finally signed up. I bought this car from the UK 11 years ago. It has been in my possession ever since.

I didn't notice the sale on eBay to the UK. Unfortunately, I also had no contact with starsky76. But I was the lucky one who bought this car in the UK.

I can confirm the enthusiasm about the restoration of starsky76. The car is of the best quality. It still looks newly restored and is in perfect condition.

Please excuse my school English. Unfortunately it's been a long time :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>