The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muffler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffler
    Posted: 27-May-2017 at 2:48AM
Looking for muffler ideas,need something quite at around 25mph to 35mph and gets loud when you step on it,any ideas?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 6:55AM
72 GT Ute

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 12:55PM
Magnaflow's straight through are quiet at idle, cruise, DO NOT DRONE and decently loud under throttle.
I had summit chambered and they were much louder at idle, really loud under part throttle (even in city driving), drone like hell on the hwy at 2900 rpm, and Godly at full throttle.

Edited by ilyes - 27-May-2017 at 3:47PM
73torino gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2017 at 3:11PM
I want something for town driving thats not loud at around 30 35 mph or cruis ing speed.my car is geared low so like 1500 to 2500 rpm
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 12:22AM
x2 on the Magnaflow. Have them on my Marauder, and only loud when I get on it. Nice mellow tone at idle.
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 2:48AM
What do you mean by drone?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 2:52AM
when your sitting inside the car and it sounds louder inside than it does outside. sometimes you'll get a certain rpm band where the mufflers seem to take on a life of their own

they say offsetting the mufflers in system helps eliminate drone, one muffler forward as far as it'll go & one back as far as possible, changes the sonic whatever going on
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 3:02AM
Also, extending the tips an 5inch or so beyond the rear bumper helps with drone, too.
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 3:32AM
Thanks for the info guys sounds exactly what I'm looking for

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 3:36AM
Looking them up,what exactly are they called?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 3:42AM
My pipes od is 2.25 so I need a 2.25 id on the new ones correct?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 3:52AM
if your pipes are 2.25 OD then you want mufflers that are 2.25 ID i got my magnaflows in stainless from summit
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2017 at 4:36AM
Thanks
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2017 at 5:41PM
Different mufflers will behave differently. Personally I went flowmaster 70 series so my exhaust doesn't beat my ears to death.

Magnaflow mufflers are also an excellent choice.
I don't know what your car is running, but personally stock or mild 302 or 351W a 2.25" dual exhaust with a H or X pipe will help and running full pipes out back will also with the sound.

If you are running a mild 351C, 400 or 460 that's mild 2.5" would be more suitable.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2017 at 1:04PM
...And nobody mentioned "muffler bearings".
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2017 at 2:58AM
if you haven't jumped in yet, seriously consider an X pipe Thumbs Up

it relieves the out of sequence pulse in the exhaust pipes that the firing order creates, like a poor man's 180* system where several pipes cross over from one side to the other

180* system for a DeTomaso Pantera

180* system for a 351C dirt track car

180* system for an FE engine

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
here's an article from Dr. Gas.com (this article is currently not available on line)

Synchronicity By Wayne Scraba 

An upside-down car at Daytona helps solve a Winston Cup riddle.

Here's a clue. Bobby Labonte got upside-down at Daytona during his 125-mile qualifier and showed the world how his guys mate the exhaust from the right and left side of the engine. This system is similar to the one created by Dr. Gas. (Sam Cranston, Daytona Beach News-Journal)

The early-season upside-down adventure at Daytona of one Bobby Labonte provided onlookers with a worm's eye view of one of Winston Cup's best kept secrets - and solved the mystery of the unusual sound of two-time Daytona 500 winner Sterling Marlin's car. In 1995, most technically astute patrons at the NASCAR® season opener, including pit road reporter Mike Joy for CBS, perceived a different sound to Marlin's car, as if it were fitted with 180° headers. The next hypothesis - that the Morgan-McClure team was using a "flat" crank - was simple, logical and dead wrong. Turns out it was the exhaust system past the headers that accounted for the change in engine note.

With Labonte's timely escapade, most observers figured they had a handle on the deal, The exhaust pipes were joined in an "X" pattern under the car. Close, but no cigar. That's when SCR decided to poke around. As luck (skill?) would have it, we discovered the real answer. And it wasn't even close to NASCAR®-land. The equipment responsible for the exhaust note originates from the sleepy confines of Sandy, Utah.

There, Boyd Butler, the owner of Pro Motorsports Engineering, has made an exact science out of exhaust system tuning. One of his products is the Dr. Gas crossover - the piece that has turned Winston Cup upside-down (figuratively.) Here's how it works.

All V-8 engines with 90-degree cranks have an imbalance in the firing order between the right and left cylinder banks. The firing order imbalance is a necessary sacrifice so that a dynamic balance of the rotating and reciprocating assembly (crank, rods and pistons) can be maintained. Each time the firing order is complete (two full revolutions of the crank), two cylinders within each bank fire and exhaust within 90 degrees of each other. Because of this, this pair of cylinders will be exhausting into the header collector (on one bank) almost simultaneously. This overlap creates a back pressure. Meanwhile, the header on the opposite bank has no activity (or pressure) in it at all. Conventional full-length four-tube headers help separate the exhaust in the cylinders until it reaches the collector. After the header primary tubes dump into the collectors, the two cylinders close to each other in the firing sequence again are fighting for space in both the collector and exhaust pipe. This results in reflected pressure waves traveling backwards though the exhaust system. What you get is more backpressure, diminished power and fuel economy, and the V-8's characteristic growl.

Wouldn't a traditional H-pipe crossover, or equalizer, allow some of this excess pressure to bleed over to the "quiet side" of the exhaust system? Jere Stahl ran 330 gallons of fuel through a pair of street engines in part throttle dyno testing to find out. One was a 350 small block, the other a 400 small block. Testing at 2550 RPM and 3050 RPM, primarily at part throttle, in HP ranges from 35 to 125, Stahl found that a balance tube actually hurt fuel distribution on every manifold/header combination he tested. It never helped at full-throttle power, either.
The heart of the Dr. Gas system is this crossover junction. At this point, the crossover is unwelded. As you can see, it's not a simple "X." instead, the separate halves of the exhaust system are effectively merged. (Wayne Scraba)

As many observers at Daytona suggested, the engine exhaust not is changed with this system as well. The deep growl common to V-8s is replaced by a smoother, higher-pitched sound, almost like a high-RPM Japanese motorcycle engine or the shriek of an Indy car. Typical sound reductions of 4 to 6 DBA (a 75% decrease) are realized, with an overall increase in power.

Just now much power are we talking about? This is one of those "it depends" things. Every combination sees different gains, but in testing, the power increase range runs from 5-20 HP at wide-open throttle (with corresponding increases in torque output). Your typical Cup car can see something in the neighborhood of at least 5-10 HP in restrictor trim with this combination. Incremental gains are seen through the entire RPM range.

In practice, the crossover tubing is kept the same size as the collector up to the crossover, the crossover should be located after the transmission and cross member have been cleared. This will usually be 12'-36' after the collector flanges. After the crossover, smaller tubing may be used since the flow is very smooth and pulsations are gone. Butler offers the system in many tubing sized, shapes and materials. Oval section tubing is available for low ground-clearance application (e.g., a Winston Cup car). The Dr. Gas crossover can also be built in carbon steel or 304 stainless Nickel plating and high-temp coatings are readily available too.

The crossover system approaches the same efficiency (and sound) as a true 180-degree header system without the nightmare of the tubes going everywhere. The riddle is solved.

======================================

and a pic i gleaked from aquartlow in the thread where i posted the article

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2017 at 3:33AM
Wow! Super cool piece. My exhaust has the h crossover. The x crossover sounds great though. My car is running a 351c 4v with straight through thrush on and it drones like hell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2017 at 4:43AM
any tail pipes on the current system?

Matt's comment above regarding making sure the outlets clear the rear of the car makes good sense
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2017 at 6:31AM
Old dude thinking I've always heard was h-pipe is good for low end grunt, and x-pipe good for higher rpm. Has this thinking changed?
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2017 at 6:56AM
They stick out 2 in past the rear valance
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2017 at 8:29AM

Rockatansky,
  Man, I forgot just how unattractive my flux-core welded(no shielding gas at the time) exhaust system looked, glad it's on the underside Embarrassed. All double welded, works good, no leaks and has that "F-1" evil-ish exhaust note when going WOT. I modified a PYPES XVF13 kit to fit my application.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2017 at 11:48AM
looks good from my house ... ?

FWIW i don't think the H pipe do a thing. any type of flow hydraulic or air doesn't turn 90* without a darn good reason. imagine a ping pong ball centered in the H, as the unbalance of the firing order pulses. at best the ping pong ball might duck back & forth a little? some very minute millisecond kind of pressure relief but i really don't see any flow whatsoever being transferred from one tube across to the other

IMO the ideal X cross should have significant length to the adjoining opening to create a small plenum nearly = to the volume of both tubes. some I've seen look like they don't have much cross connection at all, some are a literal 4-way 90* and others you can see from where the front & rear welds are that there's barely any opening. Aquartlow if you're getting the sound they say they make then it must be working Big smile 

what year i'll get to it we may never find out but I've been looking at a dual in / dual out muffler for my cross-over plenum like this Dynomax Ultra-Flow X  
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2017 at 11:57PM
Now THAT'S interesting.....so in theory with that Dynomax, you'd only need one muffler, with the added benefit of having an x-pipe?
Matt

1972 Montego MX
1994 F-150 5.8
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2017 at 1:08AM
H pipes do have an impact on performance applications, they aren't there to allow gas to swap from one side to another more to help with pressure waves

You tend to find a slight increase in low end torque with an H

X pipes tend to support mid to high rpm gains

Personally I prefer the sound of an H over an X but wouldn't have either on my cars. True duals ftw! 
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2017 at 5:58AM
Originally posted by changinlatitudes changinlatitudes wrote:

Now THAT'S interesting.....so in theory with that Dynomax, you'd only need one muffler, with the added benefit of having an x-pipe?

that's what I'm thinkin, if a Dynomax offering won't fit under my Ranchero i'll make my own mini X plenum chamber that will fit

didn't take long at all to find this vid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2crCWF5cmLk

exactly what i expected in the 1st 20 sec's and at about 1/2 way through you can see each pulse charge splitting from a single pipe into 2. what would make the vid more real is if they simulated the out of sequence firing order pulses, the effect would be more obvious than steady offset pulses. the splitting of the pulse charge means that after the X pressure is equal & steady on both sides rather than double beat / skip beat all the way down both sides

and i can't argue with the text by the poster. true dual is better than 2>1 single in most cases i suppose, however i did have a 2>1 single that made much better low end nothing else changed besides a true dual . the bone stock Buick 350 lost a good amount of idle to mid TQ
72 GT Ute

fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2017 at 8:34AM
You could go with my exhaust run right off the cats with a cross pipe behind trans.   
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2017 at 10:13AM
Originally posted by 73torino gt 73torino gt wrote:

Looking for muffler ideas,need something quite at around 25mph to 35mph and gets loud when you step on it,any ideas?

I put a pair of these on stroked 429CJ and think they match your requirements as mine were similar:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-3769

This part number is the 71-73 Mustang size but I put them on my GTS using a custom 2.5" dia. H-pipe. I really like the stock performance sound. I have them on a stock engine and exhaust Boss 351 and they sound excellent too, so I think they would be great for any performance 351c build.
 Post Reply Post Reply