The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comp Cams Recommendation Test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comp Cams Recommendation Test
    Posted: 14-September-2017 at 4:34PM
Hopefully Comp Cams doesn't see this post. I already bought & installed my new Comp Cam after painstakingly entering every spec possible from my car/engine/transmission/gears/etc. into my copy of their CamQuest program.
The solid lifter cam I chose cut 7/10's of a second off my 1/4 mile time.
There's no doubt I'm totally sold on CompCams.
Just for fun I filled out CompCams recommendation form on their website with the exact same specs I used to pick my cam to see what they come back with.
Its only been 24 hrs since I sent them my specs, so as soon as I hear back I'll post the results.      

Edited by TorinoMan - 14-September-2017 at 4:35PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2017 at 5:56PM
i've used their cams in most all my engines over the years, always worked great!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2017 at 9:26AM
The following is the first reply from CompCams, 5 days later:

What is the main use of this car?

Are you purposely wanting to use a solid lifter? 

My response:

Right now I mostly use the car for ¼ mile drag racing, however I drive to the track which is about 50 miles round trip.

Yes, I’ve been told that solid lifter cams will produce substantially more power than hydraulic.

Edited by TorinoMan - 20-September-2017 at 1:44PM
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2017 at 10:24AM

If your wondering about TorinoMan, GranTorinoMan is the name I used when I first joined this forum.

Scott re-activated my old name, so after 5 years I'm happy to be back.

CompCams sent this cam recommendation which is what I expected they would come back with.    

Sent: September 25, 2017 12:42 PM

COMP Cams - Camshaft Recommendation Form

With this being mainly a track car, a solid would be a good idea. Look into this cam. 

Part Number:

34-340-4

Grind Number:

270S

Lifter Type:

Solid Lifter

Specifications

Intake

Exhaust

RPM Range:

1800 to 5800

Valve Lash:

Valve Timing:

Duration:

Lobe Separation:  

110°

Duration @ .050" Lift:

Intake Centerline:

106°

Valve Lift:

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 25-September-2017 at 11:56AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2017 at 10:51AM
Using CamQuest I entered my engine / car specs for the 280H cam that I used to run and the 270S cam CompCam recommends.

Here is the results:

280H - Peak HP - 522 @ 5500 RPM
          - Peak TQ - 543 @ 4500 RPM

270S - Peak HP - 516 @ 5500 RPM
          - Peak TQ - 564 @ 4000 RPM

Compare the numbers from the 294S cam I selected:

294S - Peak HP - 575 @ 6000 RPM
          - Peak TQ - 552 @ 5000 RPM

If I used CompCams recommendation, I would not have realized my engines higher potential.
I used all the same valve train parts for the 294S as I did for the 280H, except for the solid lifters.
The only other thing I had to do was retard the 294S so the valves wouldn't hit the pistons.  

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 25-September-2017 at 3:28PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2017 at 12:05PM
IIRC this is the 429CJ+ engine?
I'm somewhat of a Comp Cams fan too but you really can do better with a proper Ford grind. Comp uses chevy spec lifter diameter lobes that aren't optimized for Ford diameter lifters. the larger diameter lifters make a faster lift rate possible so 'more power under the curve'

Scotty J aka The Mad Porter comes to mind, i see he's changed his website quite differently  

and now has an FB page,

maybe give RHP a jingle to see what they think they can do, and i just realized you're not really breaking out of the hydro rpm range? you should be able to make that power/rpm with a hydro flat tappet or hyd-roller

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2017 at 3:27PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

IIRC this is the 429CJ+ engine?
I'm somewhat of a Comp Cams fan too but you really can do better with a proper Ford grind. Comp uses chevy spec lifter diameter lobes that aren't optimized for Ford diameter lifters. the larger diameter lifters make a faster lift rate possible so 'more power under the curve'

Scotty J aka The Mad Porter comes to mind, i see he's changed his website quite differently  

and now has an FB page,

maybe give RHP a jingle to see what they think they can do, and i just realized you're not really breaking out of the hydro rpm range? you should be able to make that power/rpm with a hydro flat tappet or hyd-roller

Not an original 429CJ, its a low compression 472 with Aluminum CJ heads fully ported.
I did a couple of 11.5 passes with the 294S cam this summer, 4075 lbs.
Interesting about the Chevy lifter diameter lobes, first I've heard of that.
I'll check with my machinist who worked on my engine to see if he's heard that about CompCams.
I still have the option to increase my compression but that requires taking everything apart down to the short block to machine the deck.

CamQuest shows that increasing compression from 8.50 to 10.00 will give an additional 44HP.

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 25-September-2017 at 3:46PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2017 at 8:13AM
what does a 306S do in CamQuest?
i have one for my 351C, I'm thinkin its a good high compression tunnel ram cam if i ever get that back together

it just hit me today that my custom Bullet grind might actually be a better blower cam than the 306S  

no way to input generic specs into CamQuest?

Flat Tappet Mechanical

In lobe: F285/355 @ 112* mathematic center

Ex lobe: F295/358 @117*  mathematic center

gross lift Intake .614" adv dur 285*

gross lift Exhaust .619" adv dur 295*

LSA 114.5*

IVO = 30° BTDC

IVC = 75° ABDC

EVO = 85° BBDC
 EVC = 30° ATDC

recipe by George Pence, here's what he says about this grind 
"Its a hot street cam alright. Idle like a boss 351 & rev to the moon. The powerband is a little like a 12 cylinder Ferrari back in the days when they used Weber carburetors. A little soft on the bottom end, but when it hits it's stride it will crack your neck. Race car acceleration."

Edited by Rockatansky - 27-September-2017 at 8:30AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2017 at 4:56PM
I compared the 306S to the 294S on my engine combo and the HP numbers are exactly the same.
Torque drops by 18 ft lbs. and the HP peaks higher by 500 RPM.
The pull in 3rd gear to the finish line is exhilarating with these big cams for sure.
I had to retard my 294S by 4 degrees so the valves wouldn't hit the pistons.

CompCams recommended the 270S because of my low compression.
Great cam if you want to fry the hides off your tires all day.
I like the soggy bottom the 294S gives and then the insane power that comes on over 3000 RPM.
A blower would sure make up for any bottom end Torque loss of that custom cam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2017 at 2:10AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2017 at 4:36PM
Not sure, I'm guessing it could be for 110 degree lobe separation. I added these new CompCams solid lifters with oil holes. I haven't looked at my cam lobes since I installed my 294S, but there is no sign that anything is wearing out.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/255.pdf

As a matter of fact, I reduced the weight of my oil this year switching to Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Oil
SAE 10W-30 and I'm sure it helped my engine produce a few extra HP.

https://lucasoil.com/products/hot-rod-high-performance/hot-rod-classic-car-10w-30-motor-oil

Edited by GranTorinoMan - 02-October-2017 at 4:58PM
 Post Reply Post Reply