The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a little crazy idea on scoop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom72torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a little crazy idea on scoop
    Posted: 28-February-2018 at 11:34PM
Hello community!
I'm just swapping my standard hood to a sport hood on my '72 torino. It is currently in preparation for sandblasting, then it is, if necessary, repaired and painted at the end.
Now I've come up with a nonsense that does not make much sense technically, but I actually think it's pretty cool. Cool
You could open or close the scoop depending on the gas position. As it is with some firebirds. This is nothing new. Such a kit is available for retrofitting.

This kit could be modified to work behind the scoop inlet on the gt hood.

What do you think about the idea? Cool idea, nonsense, does not work, etc. Maybe some ideas to realize?
Do not hit me, it's just a thought. Wink
Best regards!
Thomas
Have a nice day!
Greetings from austria!
Thomas
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2018 at 12:01AM
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2018 at 1:27AM
Go for it!  The only bad ideas are the ones that don't work in the end!Thumbs Up
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
russosborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2018 at 4:35PM
Do you have a link for that? I'm really interested.
Thanks,
Russ
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2018 at 1:36AM
These hood scoop flaps come in two sizes, measure hood scoop from top to base, 3"-short or 3.5"-tall. This first link is for the tall kit. I do not know which one will fit better.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/pp103.html

Edited by dave302 - 02-March-2018 at 1:59AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2018 at 1:37AM
This next kit is from a different company.
http://www.firebirdcentral.com/product_p/she-2539.htm

Edited by dave302 - 02-March-2018 at 4:22AM
dave302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2018 at 1:52AM
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2018 at 2:26AM
Years ago I had a 2nd gen T/A. It had the functional flap and despite the fact it faced the driver, that area was a high pressure spot on the car and it worked well.

During the 1970's Ford, GM and Chrysler played with hood scoops and the resulting benefits ran from amazing to dismal. Some notable findings:

Most hood scoops of the 1970's and 1980's were ornamental and even when made functional, added little to the actual performance of the vehicle.

1972 GTS models with a functional Ram Air setup had a marginal performance increase, non-functional models actually create a large area of heat (that cannot escape) in the total scoop area that can increase vapor lock/performance issues when using some aftermarket intake setups (I can personally vouch for that)
Chrysler 6 pack large scoops worked very well but ate everything that came by
1967-1968 Mercury Cougar scoops did not help
1971-1973 Mustang Mach 1 scoops did little to help, in fact it was shown to create an area of low pressure that siphoned air out
Chevelle cowl induction hoods worked pretty well
Corvettes with the functional cowl scoop worked well
Buick GS 1970-1972 scoops again created an area of low pressure that siphoned air out of the carb at speed
Ford Mustang II Cobra scoops did nothing, even when reversed and opened up
etc...

Back then, wind tunnel testing was still in it's infancy and engineers took a back seat to designers, so what could have worked very well was unable to be integrated into the design of the car. Also, the drag created on most outweighed the benefits, water entering the air cleaner/carbs was a constant issue, debris entering the scoop would clog filters or worse. Ford had an issue with daily driven vehicles getting water on the ignition setup (distributor mounted on the top front of the engine) as well. On a pleasure vehicle, not much of an issue but on a daily, it created a problem. The fact is that pressure areas determine the best placement of hood scoops - low pressure spots negatively affect performance, high pressure areas positively affect performance. What "looks" great is not necessarily good for performance. The benefit to performance was a supply of cooler, more dense air that would enable the engine to produce more power. When it worked, it worked pretty well, but most of the time, it just appeared to look cool.

Once air does get into the engine bay through the scoop has to be routed efficiently into the intake system. Seals, cases, ductwork all play an important role in getting that cooler air into the intake system. One of the best setups involves removing the inner headlights and using ductwork to introduce cool air into the system - unobstructed flow, high pressure area, less water issues and no drag increase.

As stated above, anything is worth a try!

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2018 at 9:06PM
Thanks for the links.

Yeah, I had planned on doing a Thunderbolt style ram air on this. I even bought a second snorkel for the air cleaner housing. Then I realised that I would have to cut the radiator core support as it is solid behind the inner lights where the hoses would need to be. Also my car has a/c, and the add on snorkel would have to be pointing almost straight towards the driver side tire. Something I had forgotten about since the compressor is not on the car right now. Being in the Phoenix metro area, for me a/c is not optional. I like symmetrical, so having the two snorkels pointed in different directions will be a hard pill to swallow.

That is still an option, but looking at other ways that will involve the hood scoop I have. Factory ram air would be nice, but too pricey for me. Trying to brain storm ideas on a self built ram air box, but I am better at modifying existing stuff, not starting from scratch.

Side note. A friend/roommate/shipmate bought an 80 or 81 T/A back in 1983. He thought the flap on the scoop was just for looks. I got in the driver's seat and showed him it worked.

Thanks,
Russ
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2018 at 12:25AM
If your still thinking about the Thunderbolt style setup, this air filter housing might work out better than your stocker;

Plus ducts are also available.  Ever consider doing the 442 style "under-bumper" scoops?
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russosborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2018 at 11:02AM
Funny, I had forgotten about those. And I even used to have one for another car. Embarrassed
Thanks.
Russ
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2018 at 2:36PM
I can testify the 72 GTS hood when left open all the time, allows the potential for water penetration into the distributor. I've learned to just keep a hefty garbage bag and pop the hood and cover the top of the engine.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply