The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Stands-What Do You Use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jack Stands-What Do You Use?
    Posted: 15-July-2018 at 11:27PM
Looking for recommendations for jack stands. I gave mine away years ago, some off brand but they were O.K. Need good quality, but not an outrageous price if possible. Use will be for oil changes, brakes,
undercarriage maintenance...not long term storage.

I appreciate any input...

Thanks,
Billy
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 5:44AM
I use ones from Harber Freight , 3 and 5 ton . Never had any issues with .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 6:47AM
Second on the Harbor Freight, got the 3 ton and also the jack pads for on top, they appear well made.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 12:51PM
I have a set of Michelin 3 ton stands and a big set of Motomaster (Canadian Tire ) 6 tons stands (basically similar to harbour freight stuff).  The big ton stands are nice to get the car high off the ground.  I also need them for my truck since the 3 ton stands are way too short to get it off the ground.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 16-July-2018 at 12:51PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 2:13PM
Great thanks for the responses!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 6:13PM
I'll be honest. I use Harbor Freight 6 ton stands when working on my GTS. 3 ton stands are OK, but I much prefer having a larger stand. 
You see one car fall on a guy because he was using too small a stand and it makes you learn to oversize things.
I only used a 3 ton stand when on a long road trip and I need one incase of service needs.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-August-2018 at 11:44AM
Think about the base design and what you are setting them up on. Some have a very thin contact patch with the ground. They may sink into the ground under the weight of a car. My buddy put his 68ish Sedan De Ville up on cheap stands back in '83. His driveway still has rectangular slits where the stands sank thru the asphalt.
(And he hasn't gotten the jaws of life out and pried his wallet open to re-pave YET - 35 years later)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2018 at 4:21PM
Wider is better. And keep the jack under the car as added protection. I can't imagine seeing a car fall on someone, turns my stomach just thinking about it.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2018 at 4:25PM
And the higher you go, the less stable it is. Make sure the stands have metal plates under them or welded to the bottom of the legs.
 Post Reply Post Reply