The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

control arm bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: control arm bushings
    Posted: 16-November-2008 at 4:13AM
Where is a good place to get control arm bushings.  Front and rear.  I wat to rebuild my suspension in the front and back ball joints etc..  Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.
Thanks Brendan
1973 Gran Torino Sport 357 Cleveland FMX 3.50 auburn pro posi 1969 Black Jade
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2008 at 7:32AM

I got all my bushings from energy suspension and found the ball joints on ebay. Advance auto also has the ball joints.

Mule
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2008 at 7:38AM
EBAY and Me.. I have many moog parts for our years which I have acquired.. What do you need...
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2008 at 2:17PM
I basically want all the rear control arm bushings and all related ball joints and bushings for the front.  I will need tie rod ends too,  they are easy to find I just need to know what brand is good.  Also I would like to know who makes a good shock for the 73 gts,  and what can be done as far as springs go.  I do not want to lower the car,  I am just looking to get a good stiff spring.  Prob more like the originals before 35 years of wear.
Thanks Brendan
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2008 at 3:29PM
I have just about the complete setup(fronts) I will try and post pics..Most of my items are NORS moog and some NORS TRW..
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2008 at 2:41AM
That would be great.  As far as the rear stuff do you know where would be a good place to get that as well?  Thanks I appreciate it. Brendan
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2008 at 11:55AM
If you decide to go with rubber bushings in the rear control arms you'll want to go to a Spicer dealer. The local parts dealer here handles Spicer and they had to special order the rear bushings, both upper and lower.
I replaced all mine with poly. If you go poly, do all bushings front and rear. On the rears both upper and lower you need to save the outer sleeves because the poly bushings do not come with the outer sleeves.
Just a word of caution. Thats all.
The poly will give you a firmer handling car and not degrade.  The rubber will hold tight for awhile but will degrade (dry rot) again over time and probably quicker now a days with the additives in the rubber and you'll lose the handling. Are you going full resto or performance rebuild?          Ron
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2008 at 2:15PM
I am doing a performance rebuild.  I would like to have done a full resto,  but my car was in pretty bad shape and this is my first stab at a restoration like this.  I am ging to make it pretty and mechanically build it.  I would like to go with the poly bushings because I have always liked them as opposed to rubber.  Where do you get the poly bushings?  Thanks for the info. Brendan
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2008 at 3:06PM
I feel the polyurethane bushings in the rear are best.. The control arms are best suited to poly bushings.. I unfortunately I don't have a poly set..Also look into boxed lower arms as they have time and time again been shown to be far superior to anything ford offered..
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2008 at 5:22PM
I am going to box my lower arms because it is always much improved when you box stamped stuff.  That or I might have my buddy make some adjustable tubular ones so that I can adjust the pinion angle.  Still need to know where to get the poly bushings? Thanks guys
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 1:46AM

Poly bushing in the rear suspension can create a bind situation during roll (cornering).  The control arms need to "twist" as the car rolls, because the front and rear thru-bolts are no longer parallel.  Rubber bushing will give, allowing this twist.  The poly bushings prevent the arms from twisting, which greatly increases the rear roll stiffness suddenly, and cause snap oversteer. 

1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 9:00AM
Originally posted by BBPeik BBPeik wrote:

Still need to know where to get the poly bushings? 

Dearborn classic sells Energysuspension bushings (rear), I got mine from them.

-Aatu
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 11:15AM
Ok I will give that a try thanks
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 2:01PM
Hi there,  I got all my bushings front ,rear, and body mounts from NAPA. they are all ENERGY SUSPENSION Poly performance. A chevy set was ordered for the body mounts.   I am in the middle of my frame off resto, Its going to be for power and performance and not anything original.
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 5:58PM
Great I can just go to napa.  That sure makes things easier. thanks
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2008 at 6:42PM
Originally posted by SPLUHAR SPLUHAR wrote:

Poly bushing in the rear suspension can create a bind situation during roll (cornering).  The control arms need to "twist" as the car rolls, because the front and rear thru-bolts are no longer parallel.  Rubber bushing will give, allowing this twist.  The poly bushings prevent the arms from twisting, which greatly increases the rear roll stiffness suddenly, and cause snap oversteer. 

I've read that to be true. The other caution I read is that it is important to upgrade the front and rear suspensions accordingly (equally) to ensure you don't get an oversteer or understeer situation. If you stiffen up either the front or the back I think you get an oversteer or understeer, and the opposite is true as well.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2008 at 2:53AM
That is very true.  I do not think that the poly bushings will bind as long as you stiffen the springs as well.  I have put performance suspension on  a lot of cars.  Nothing this old,  but a lot of cars and have never had control arms bind due to the bushings being to stiff.  The idea of control arms flexing is not good.  If your control arms flex giving you binding you need better control arms.  Stiff is always the key and to have no flex.  That is my say on it anyway.  You may disagree,  but I am using poly.
 Post Reply Post Reply